The Dark Mod Forums

New 2.0 gameplay feature

Springheel

Sorry. Maybe it's just me being picky, but IMHO, it kinda sounds more like a heavy metal bar bouncing on the floor, than a thiner metal sheet. Here's how plate sounds IRL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4UQcN_vJbs

Essentially, armor impact has a clattering, watery-like sound, which a product of several metal pieces banging into each other and bending and re-shaping after impact. It's not a dry PLUNK! as it sounds ATM.

Edited by zergrush
  • Like 1

Builder armour is supposed to be heavy, not very flexible iron. The elite guard armour makes a sound more like the above.

another sound that I've ever found strange was those step sounds in the video, the recording was made with way too much intentionality, the way to record steps is to walk at least three steps and save the recording of the middle step which is the least intentional of the three, that way the steps sound more realistic and unintentional, also the volume of the step sound is way too loud

Biel Bestué de Luna - Github

• 1 month later...

... I've actually exploited this in the thief games and Darkmod to certain extent.

I can only agree. This is so easy and effective in the Thief 2 mission "Framed". You got these long conga-lines of guards and you can just knock them all out in succession and no one gives two toots about it.

So yeah this feature is really cool. "Ups" the game, if you will. :)

Edited by GameDevGoro

Look what i' ve found http://skyreignsoftware.com/resourcepage/low-cost-motion-capture-technology. Is it 10$ per second for pro mocap? There is local mocap studio http://mocap.com.ua. gonna check they prisings

Also

Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

"you need either two Kinect cameras or four to six Playstation Eye cameras. I just ordered four PS eye cameras. Were about 10 to 15 dollars a piece so it's not bad."

--from the vid comments.

So $60 for 4 cameras?? I know its not about that though, its about scope creep and the time investment required to pull it all off. Could do a little at a time though.

I'll go in on the cameras if there's interest in doing this for TDM. This would add another level of immersion that would take the mod to whole different level.

I'm sure with donations, affording 2 setups would be a small task.

Edited by Lux
  • Like 1

I added a little reverb to that video in Cubase and it sounds so much better. The foot steps lose their 'compliness' and even the voice acting sounds better.

I think you guys really need to do this - obviously keep a back-up of the dry sounds for later if/when audio processing allows for this on the fly.

I added a little reverb to that video in Cubase and it sounds so much better. The foot steps lose their 'compliness' and even the voice acting sounds better.

I think you guys really need to do this - obviously keep a back-up of the dry sounds for later if/when audio processing allows for this on the fly.

Didn't Thief and Thief 2 do this? They baked some reverb into the sounds?

Yes, they have a lot of reverb baked into some of the samples. I didn't realise this till recently when I replayed both on a non EAX sound card for the first time. My first experience with Thief was the Ramirez demo and re-living the section where you enter the front gate and then take the tunnel to the right. Sat in the shadow there you hear the arrowsman above moaning about standing in the cold and the dark... gave me goosebumps again.

I think TDM really needs to go this way. Sound is it's biggest letdown imho.

"you need either two Kinect cameras or four to six Playstation Eye cameras. I just ordered four PS eye cameras. Were about 10 to 15 dollars a piece so it's not bad."

--from the vid comments.

So $60 for 4 cameras?? I know its not about that though, its about scope creep and the time investment required to pull it all off. Could do a little at a time though.

I'll go in on the cameras if there's interest in doing this for TDM. This would add another level of immersion that would take the mod to whole different level.

I'm sure with donations, affording 2 setups would be a small task.

Lux, missed the 4 Eyes point. Even better! And the software is 199$ express package.

Hell I ready to donate if someone will too. Also,actor will need some apt space in front of computer.

Imho, we can donate 60$ worth for cameras, try thr 30-days trial, establish software-to-TDM pipeline. If things go well - donate to software.And lo, TDM have mocap source. Made by people, for people.

Edited by someTaff
  • Like 1

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

We already have someone with a mocap setup, I believe (Arcturus). The problem is finding animators who know what they're doing and can devote regular time to the mod. We never seem to get both at once.

Yeah talk about inexpensive motion capture. TDM animation artist would maybe want to consider this?

EDIT: Springheel, yeah time is the thing. Its seems fairly simple to implement this. I can look at getting in to this more when I've finished my fm.

Edited by Lux

We already have someone with a mocap setup, I believe (Arcturus).

My experiments with one camera homemade mocap were failure. What I managed to do was that I created a rig in Blender for proguard. That rig steers the imported MD5 rig. All animation I did recently were done manually.
  • Like 1

It's only a model...

My experiments with one camera homemade mocap were failure. What I managed to do was that I created a rig in Blender for proguard. That rig steers the imported MD5 rig. All animation I did recently were done manually.

Arcturus, would you be interested in pursuing this for TDM specifically, if you had a dual camera setup? Do you have the time, space, etc. from what you can glean from the videos on the software and feature set?

• Like 1

Arcturus did u try kinect? One need two of them set on different angles for best results

This iPi is impressive

They seem to be using four normal cameras in this video. But the software is expensive (once trial is over), and you need space and time. And in the end you'll still need to correct the animations manually. I'm currently busy with other things and don't think about darkmod too much. It would be great to play with these tools but at the moment I don't even have enough time.
  • Like 1

It's only a model...