The Dark Mod Forums

TDM is frequently crashing on Intel HD 4000

LordSavage

I just checked out TDM 2.0 under Windows 7 64bit so far but maybe it's a wider known error and affects 1.08 as well. The game frequently crashes after about 10-15 minutes and the error messages connects to a dll file which seems to be a part of the intel hd 4000 driver. I wasn't able to run 2.0 at OS X, because it crashed on startup with a sigfault (iirc). Can't try Linux right now.

The interesting thing is that I can play the game in a copy of the exact same Windows 7 running in a virtual machine and it doesn't crash at all. So it is definitely a problem with the intel driver.

Post processing and EAX are off. I'm sure the graphics driver is fine because I can play the latest Far Cry 3 without a problem and TDM doesn't seem to crash in a specific situation. It's more like after a specific time.

Problemereignisname: APPCRASH

Anwendungsname: TheDarkMod.exe

Anwendungsversion: 1.0.0.1

Fehlermodulname: ig7icd32.dll

from doing a search online this ig7icd32.dll is causing crashes in quake 4 from what I found and it was reported to intel in july 2012, its also listed as a virus on some sites, but its part of windows 8 graphics drivers that have something to do with OpenGL 4.0.

Try an older or newer driver version. All graphic vendors (especially intel) have spotty OpenGL support. They will break things every other release. Direct3d games like Far Cry don't generally suffer these problems

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this because TDM is starting to crash on startup for me recently, and I can't understand why it would start now (Win8 64 bit, Intel HD 4000, Dell XPS 12). I did the update again, and have the read-only box unchecked, etc.

My only theory is this laptop runs on an Intel HD 4000, and a recent driver update broke something. The catch is changing to other drivers doesn't help and it's still crashing, so I can't be 100% sure that's it. Is there any other reason we know the game may CTD on startup, during the grey screen part? Or can anyone else reconfirm the latest Intel HD 4000 driver is the problem, and happen to know what version won't crash? Or anything else helpful?

Edit: Uh, is the unexpected dolphin sig supposed to be my punishment for necroing the thread? Lol...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It happens every time. Yes, immediately on startup. The game comes up as if in window mode, with gray inside, then I get a crash message. The title screen never even comes up. (In the early versions, that gray was on a few seconds before the title screen came up, but now you don't normally see it because the title comes up so fast. But that's why I mentioned it, so people would know it's crashing before the title screen comes up.)

Well here's a screenshot of it:

20k9n9k.jpg

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Deleting that cfg file and re-updating didn't help. Still crashed.

The dump file is 424 MB! Anyway, I uploaded it to Google Drive and here's the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0PL4AK6fxslek4zNzloRzNPVUk/view?usp=sharing

• 1 month later...

A month later. TDM is still crashing for me.

I updated again and at least the type of crash changed. Now the screen cycles through four brands of "black screen" (black, black-grey, black, black-grey) and then the game crashes with the same error message as before (in the above screenshot), except the grey part is only a smaller square in the corner. I'm down because I haven't been able to play lately.

Try running in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Also, try setting r_useSoftParticles to 0 in Darkmod.cfg.

Finally, make sure AA is off in your Intel driver settings and set anti-aliasing off in Darkmod.cfg too.

(Intel is notorious for AA bugs)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I can't find a darkmod.cfg, even after re-updating.

There's DoomConfig.cfg, and I set the args on that.

Edit: Ah, probably because I deleted darkmod.cfg per Biker's instructions above and update didn't restore it. Why isn't the update restoring it?

Turned off anti-aliasing, still crashed.

Turned on ("1") all the log settings.

Darkmod.log printed just one line after crash: "[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 198):INI (INIT) FR: 0] Initializing mod logging"

Edit. Updating the SVN version after a long hiatus to see what happens with that.

Ok, the SVN version is running fine. So apparently something is borking with the 2.03 update.

Run as admin, still crashed. No default.cfg, only the DoomConflg.cfg.

Installed in C:\Users\[...]\games\PC\FPS\Darkmod.

In the folder properties, suddenly the "Read only" box keeps checking. I turn it off; click ok. Then open up folder properties again and it's checked again. (i.e., I can't turn it off.) It was not like that the last time I looked into it (like yesterday). Edit: Actually, it's not a check, but a black box, as if some items are "read only" but not everything, maybe. And it's doing that for every folder on my entire HD.

Still crashes. It's run before in its current location, so I don't think that's the issue.

It's late now, but tomorrow or this weekend I'll try re-installing it from scratch.

At least I can play on the SVN now.

In the folder properties, suddenly the "Read only" box keeps checking. I turn it off; click ok. Then open up folder properties again and it's checked again. (i.e., I can't turn it off.) It was not like that the last time I looked into it (like yesterday). Edit: Actually, it's not a check, but a black box, as if some items are "read only" but not everything, maybe. And it's doing that for every folder on my entire HD.

Ive seen this happen before -

• Under folder permissions, give yourself full access to the whole darkmod folder and sub folders & files.

Then see what happens...

The folder permissions already give me full control over all the folders, and I'm running as admin. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ok, I redownloaded the whole game from scratch, and now it runs without a problem.

The previous download must have been corrupted somehow, so I'll just delete it.

Sorry all my raving was for naught.