The Dark Mod Forums

New FM betatest prevented by mysterious CTD

Sotha

I have just entered The Mapper's Hell. <_<

I have made an FM. When I have all the bits and pieces in my darkmod folder and I dmap and start the mission with "map <mapname>" command, the map loads and works. I have tested it thoroughly and everything seems to be working.

When I package a betatest release .pk4 everything works nicely. Video briefings run and everything is nice. Then when I start the mission, the mission loads and reaches the stage when the loading bar has disappeared. Then TDM just crashes to desktop with the normal XP message "Program has stopped working, sucks to be you."

Therefore, my message for the day is SOMEONE GOD PLEASE HELP ME!

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this crash. The mission works when it is not .pk'ed and started with map-command. It crashes when .pk4 form mission is loaded. When I run it non-pk4'ed, there is no obvious warnings in the console that would be the reason for the crash.

So close getting this released. Yet so far. The pain! The pain! :(

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Did you rename the zip to a pk4?

Did you forget the statingmap.txt file? (I did once, and it causes a crash for me. Took me ages to find out).

Did you forget to pray for mercy? :smile:

Good Luck.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

pk4 is made with izark, same way my previous maps. It was renamed to pk4 as it should. Earlier test package did work.

Startingmap should be okay: the mission DOES load something, but I'll double check. I would expect no loading if startingmap was wrong.

Briefing gui theory is worthwhile to test, but I would expect it to crash on TDM start or during cutscenes.

I'll check these once I get back home. Hopefully it is something simple... This situation consumes motivation fast.

Clipper

It is a proper .pk4. Nothing seems to be off.

Startingmap.txt seems to be okay.

Removal of all the custom briefing guis did not help.

Removal of mapname.script did not help. (I had ingame crashes due to scripting things previously.)

I'm totally clueless. PM:ing Biker the pk4. Maybe it is just my system where it crashes?

Clipper

Ok its happening for me aswell, but I found a workaround that may shed light on whats happening.

With the mission loaded via the .PK4 I bring down the console and load the mission via the map command. In the progress loader at the bottom of the screen its completes and the mission loads. Of the top of my head I'm guessing the game is calling for something?

But as Sotha has already and I have done deletiing the .ROQ briefing videos doesn't stop the crash. What other things could the game be calling at 75% map load..?

@Sotha: When mapping, do you have everything in your darkmod folder or do you work with project folders?

In the latter case, maybe there's just a def or so missing.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I build everything in darkmod folder:

maps in /maps

defs in /defs and so forth.

Then when it is time to make a release build, I copy all the files into a separate folder. Then I copy everything out from the darkmod-folder so that I have a clear darkmod folder and a new fresh .pk4.

In desperation, I built several variants of the .pk4 with different folders deleted. All of them crashed.

Then I opened the .map file with a text editor and deleted the shop entity by hand (just a weird hunch I had).......... Now It LOADS! Why crash with shop entity present? Examining.....

Clipper

Whee! Fixed! There was a faulty shop entity in my map. I deleted it and (painstakingly) added a new one and added the data in there. Now the mission loads and works.

• Like 3

Clipper

• In desperation, I built several variants of the .pk4 with different folders deleted. All of them crashed.
  • Then I opened the .map file with a text editor and deleted the shop entity by hand (just a weird hunch I had)..........

• Yeah I did that just before sitting down for dinner
  • What gave you the idea the shop was corrupt..? Im guessing you must have done something with it before that gave you the idea to look at it..?

I found the error with a simple logical elimination technique.

I knew the .pk4 worked at some point. After deleting the folders and it still crashed, I could deduce that the .map file must contain the culprit. The crash reason had to be something I had recently added and had a function at the map start. The only option was the shop.

Clipper