The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Lich Queen's Demise by Sotha (2013/05/20)

Sotha

Unusual Gamplay Contest Rating  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Unusual Gameplay Theme

2. 2. Gameplay Quality

3. 3. Aesthetics (Visuals, Story, Audio)

Having had the honour to be one of the betatesters, I can highly recommend this mission. It's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome! :smile:

And congrats to the release, Sotha.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'm getting the same issue as Oldjim. Could you get this on another file hosting site that doesn't freak out the antivirus, like Rapidshare or Mediafire? Or somebody get this up on a mirror.

Edit: Congrats on the release anyway. ^_^

Can't wait to play it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Funny surprises so far...

I was sneaking through a hallway, and I put out a candle by a door. At that moment, I heard a growl behind me. I frantically began picking the lock to get through the door because something was coming to investigate. As I picked the lock, I heard "tick tick tick" behind me. "Oh great, spiders!" -- I thought. Then I finished picking the lock, turned around and was shocked to see an undead relighting the candle not 10 feet away from me.

Hey, I guess nobody likes to work in the dark -- not even the undead.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Good lord, Sotha!

Could you please put your mission somewhere else? I clicked your link and saw the download screen, and when I DL'ed and ran the exe to get the package, I got a BOATLOAD of crap it wanted me to load onto my computer. Product A, product B, product C. I couldn't outright cancel the download, it kept throwing new ACCEPT screens at me. Take this! Take that! I finally had to use the task manager to kill the 6 windows it was painting on my screen, and even that took some time.

No wonder the security programs try to get in the way of that site.

About the download link, there's a small tick box below the download link that should be off. I didn't see that the first time and avast didn't like it, it wants to install a downloader, but if you don't mark it the download works correctly

This mission looks fantastic! And I'm already stuck :blush:

where do I find the mushrooms?

I found them in the underground cave sort of part. There are tombstones there and a massive builder symbol and the mushroom is placed on that, just look up and you will see it there. If you are unsure of the underground part I mean, do you remember crossing a bridge over water underground? Basically cross that then you will find more tunnels and I believe it is in the North Eastern most corner of that part there.

Also very awesome map Sotha! :) This map looks absolutely amazing!

Mirror:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17706561/lich_queens_demise.pk4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17706561/lich_queens_demise.pk4

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Fantastic FM that's not particularly long or confusing. Has just enough of a well written story to drive things forward and offer hints to the player. Very refreshing, actually, haha.

Anyway, loved the voice acting, the aesthetics, atmosphere, etc. The voice overs for the enemies were particularly creepy. One particular quibble I have is with the Lich Queen hereself, who sounds like, well, a chambermaid. Give 'er a creepy voice!

Voted three in the "unusual gameplay" department cause it didn't feel all that unusual to me - it just felt normal, which is good, I suppose!

I guess the whole mixing of chemicals and the cannon qualify as "unusual" but not enough, imo.

Anyway, fantastic work, as always. Definitely looking forward to more Thomas Porter in the future.

Edited by Ryan101

I added the link nbohr gave to the OP. Funny thing that sendspace. When I click the link, I get a clean screen with 4 lines of text and a single download link. Maybe it treats people from different locales differently? In the spoiler below is a screenshot how the download site works for me. No ads. No popups. No dubious redirects.

jp8ayaX.png

Unusuality factor will be a difficult thing to gauge in this contest, I think. What does people consider unusual in a TDM mission?

In my view, the principal unusualities in this mission are:

1) Intelligent, speaking undead as opposed to normal non-intelligent revenants.

2) Revenants keep coming back if killed.

3) Usage of world objects, like firing the cannon.

4) Throwing the normal stay-in-shadows-avoid-the-light mechanic upside down(Weeping Halls).

5) The way the mission was built, using modular principle.

It will be interesting to see what levels of unusuality will be touched in this contest. ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Initial impression - graphics at the start are really impressive

Playing on hardest setting - I assume that the increased difficulty relates to the number of zombies etc. as the objectives don't change

Now to start again because I think I tried things in the wrong order and wasted a lot of water arrows - I was most peeved to find that the braziers kept being relit :angry:

Regarding downloading from sendspace - as long as you untick the download accelerator Kaspersky is happy. I didn't spot that before

Edited by Oldjim

This was pretty fun! I have very little to say. The visuals are fantastic, broken walls, mangled carpets, great use of lights... together with the great story and setting, this deserves 5 stars to aesthetics.

The contest theme is definitely there, there's nothing I haven't seen before but it's an original mission all in all.

The gameplay I voted 4, it's excellent. I tried playing without quickloading, that means using my sword every now and then, but I wasn't able to beat one single guard! lol Good thing that, even though I wasn't loading all the time, I was saving. This was the normal difficulty, for reference. Also, there was one particular item

the fungus thing

that I thought

it could have more than one scattered around the underground. That whole place is very big and very dark, it's easy to overlook it, besides it's a fungus! it can grow on several places. But I definitely recognize the effort to emphasize its location though, it's on the hole of a huge cross stone lit by a hole on the ceiling. Let's see how others find that spot, maybe this isn't something worth changing.

And that's my two cents. Thanks for the fun time :)

Having a good time so far, but I'm stuck. How do you:

fire the cannon? I tried rubbing the long match against the wick but nothing happens.

and

where is the cauldron to mix the ingredients?

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

@Moonbo:

You have to put the gunpowder and the cannonball in it. I then fired it with a fire arrow.

You will find it after firing the cannon

This is quite good. A couple odd things, but that's okay in a mission where the undead walk around and talk.

I'm playing this with 2.0.

I fixed sleepers falling through the floor in 2.0, but the queen decides to fall through anyway. A quicksave before she gets up preceded her falling through, but in 10 reloads of that quicksave, she regained her feet normally. I'll need to examine this one to see how she's getting around the fix.

Yep, she is known to be very temperamental and dodgy around your fixes. I remember the time she went on strike in Glenham Tower! One crazy AI! ;D

Yes, she's always been a challenge. But in the end, she has no choice but to succumb! I will have dominion over her, or die trying ...

@Bikerdude. I didn't had one. Don't know if it is difficulty depending or if it's only been in the beta version, though. But I don't needed them anyways :smile:

This mission ought to have been called 'Thomas Porter: Sore Winner'. Way to rub it in, thiefy dude!

...Ahem. So I enjoyed this very much, since it combined a very polished look that got the decay and rot just right (along with the sunset theme), with varied gameplay challenges and a good, although light story. The mission didn't feel very 'unusual' per se, but that's because it felt logical - things flowed just like the way they should, and even the non-standard challenges were very well integrated into the story. Creating something that feels truly natural and appears to be simple and straightforward is no small accomplishment. Bravo!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved