The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Lich Queen's Demise by Sotha (2013/05/20)

Sotha

Unusual Gamplay Contest Rating  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Unusual Gameplay Theme

2. 2. Gameplay Quality

3. 3. Aesthetics (Visuals, Story, Audio)

Just started this mission, but i really badly want to know how i can get rid of the current zombie and haunt sounds and replace them with the ones from Thief Dark Project, that would make this mission absolutely terrifying and really do it more justice than i think im getting from it at the moment. the stock zombie and haunt sounds just arent scary or loud enough. the old ones were horrifying.

anyone know how?

Nobody here will do that, that treads to close to infringing on copyrights of Eidos who own the Thief IP and could get us shut down.

You can learn how to do it and do it just for yourself and not ever talk about it. It's not hard to do, it would just be tedious work to get all those sounds from Thief 1/2 and get them in the proper directories in TDM and modify the sound shaders. Not hard, just a lot of work.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Hi Goldwell, could you please post the rest of the skeleton speeches on this topic like last time ? I find it hard to understand. Thanks a lot (I'm at the canon right now).

Here is the Canon speech

rev_cannon_dialogue_1A: What was that? An explosion. It came from here.

rev_cannon_dialogue_1B: Out of the way, brother! Let us get in! Make haste!

rev_cannon_dialogue_2A: Look, brother. The door! The cannon... Has it fired by itself?

rev_cannon_dialogue_2B: Of course not. This is the work of the intruder. Why he wants to reach the Weeping Halls is beyond me.

rev_cannon_dialogue_3A: We must inform the Mistress. She most certainly heard the cannon go off.

rev_cannon_dialogue_3B: Aye, brother. I wish the intruder would have been more discreet. Now we must make his presence known to her. Stand guard here, brother, and make sure no one enters or exits the Weeping Halls. If you see him, kill him. I’ll inform the mistress.

rev_cannon_dialogue_4A: Aye, brother.

rev_cannon_dialogue_4B: And one more thing.

rev_cannon_dialogue_5A: Yes, brother?

rev_cannon_dialogue_5B: Under no circumstances enter the Weeping Halls yourself. It would be a disaster if some of the Shadows that live there would stray to the upper levels.

rev_cannon_dialogue_6A: As you wish, brother.

Here is the kitchen speech too and thats all I have

rev_kitchen_monologue_1a) It was I who served the Master Builder my whole life.

rev_kitchen_monologue_1b) It was I who wrote the Litany of Toil.

rev_kitchen_monologue_1c) Everything I ever did, I did for the Master Builder.

rev_kitchen_monologue_2a) I defended the monastery of Brien against the savage Pagans and Heathens.

rev_kitchen_monologue_2b) I’ve killed so many Pagans in Master Builder’s name, I can’t even remember.

rev_kitchen_monologue_2c) I traveled to distant lands, spreading the holy world of Master Builder.

rev_kitchen_monologue_3a) ..and it was I who assassinated Father Connely, the cursed wretch. And I paid the full price for it.

rev_kitchen_monologue_3b) And it was I who was burned to death by my own brothers and cast down to hell by the Master Builder himself.

rev_kitchen_monologue_3c) In eternal damnation, I wield a cursed blade that was meant to slay the living. I am immortal. I am eternal. I need no sustenance nor sleep. I cannot die.

rev_kitchen_monologue_4a) And here I am. A cook. A cook for a necromancer. Bound to be commanded by an inferior mortal being. Oh, the irony. Woe is me. Master Builder truly sent me to hell.

rev_kitchen_monologue_4b) “I want chicken. I want herbs. I want this and this and that. And spice it more next time.” One day the curse is lifted and this slavery will end. The Mistress will die slowly by my hand. I will feed her to herself. One last supper for the tyrant.

rev_kitchen_monologue_4c) I wish I didn’t remember who I was. Knowing the past makes this slavery even more painful. Hopefully, one day Master Builders grants me my eternal sleep. May the Builder forgive us!

• 1 month later...

Amazing mission! Very logical. Everything makes sense.

Those unusual foes add a lot of tension to gameplay. I liked the fact that you actually had to pay attention to the clues in order to survive, I mean the instructions were not merely decorative, as it frustratingly happens sometimes.

Something I noted: there's a tray in the kitchen, that reflects the landscape from the outside, I think.

A critic:

Although the LQ has a human form now, the body she took, as she points out in her journal, was seriously damaged in the process, so, shouldn't her voice be a little more... let's say... unnatural?

• 2 weeks later...

This has certainly been a challenging mission.

There are still some of the newer good ones that I have not played yet, but of the ones I have played so far this has been by far the best.

I am having a little trouble with

the shadows

Edited by lordpeter

• 3 weeks later...

I know its been almost a year but I've finish your mission and it was pure gold. Excellent in every way.

the shadows are easy to get by once you figure out that they don't attack you even if they see you in the light. Just keep a light candle in front of you and walk. They don't attack unless you get too close to them. Read it in the book but didn't figure it out at first but after reading again it came to me :). Great idea to diverse the enemies like this.

The good part of having a sort of small community of mission makers for the DM is that they are all good and put passion in what they do. This mission was a great ending to a great series. Keep it up, you and all the other developers that bring us such great missions and stories.

I only wonder if

the sewer in the underground that is locked......is there anything to do with it or is it there just for design?

Edited by UnrealOne

• 4 months later...

Just finished this, and thus the series. Excellent job!

This was a hard, hard mission for me. I have two "settings" in missions. One where I'm just enjoying myself and casually playing through. And a second when I have to concentrate, get serious, and actually play like I'm a badass Thief. This was the latter for pretty much the entire playthrough, which is rare. My experience wasn't perfect; there were a couple chief frustrations. But this was a sprawling, epic, challenging, and unique mission. Well done!

To the spoilers:

Despite searching the Queen's bedroom twice, I never found the list of ingredients. This made the ingredient search impossible, and I had to settle for watching a walkthrough of that portion. I didn't cheat and watch anything else, though, so I enjoyed the exploration and canon puzzle. Even with the list, I've seen some others complain about the obscure location of the mushroom, and I believe this to be a valid complaint.

If anyone says it was too difficult, don't listen to them. Yes, the overlapping revenant paths made for a LOT of waiting around and getting caught on quick dashes between shadows. But so many missions are easy for experienced Thief players, and this was the epic finish to a long series. It deserves every bit of the 2-3 hours most will take on it. If they were all like this, I might take issue. As it is, I was pleased.

The shadow things were cool too. I always like a different touch, and had never seen them before. Once you figure them out, it's not challenging to avoid them. But the novelty was cool as hell.

Edited by Digi
  • Like 1

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read this thread since I'm still in the middle of this mission and I don't want any accidental spoilers. But gosh, Sotha, you sure know how to make an impossible mission! Just started this yesterday after finishing The Phrase Book, which was pretty damn fine.

Right from the start, I'm walking along, minding my own business, when

I see two skeletal guardians by the front door. So I happily use my holywater and destroy the suckers, plus extinguish the lights there. But.... lo and behold, what follows is a rumbling sound which scared the bejesus out of me---and the guards are reborn, then retake their former positions by the doors, PLUS they relight every damn flame I've taken out!

Bugger all!!!!

I swear, is this mission even finishable (yes, that's a word!) without console trickery which I'm above (unless I'm in searching for that last bit of loot, which could lead me to a whole new discussion of "is it cheating to use tdm_show_loot?")? I can't help feeling this was definitely made for the veteran players.

Still, gonna go as far as I can, and hopefully avoid getting killed by some horrible monster and/or undead wraith. I wonder what the lich queen looks like in this one....

Hey Summer!

Yep, it was meant to be difficult

Professor paul did a playthrough on youtube maybe check it out. It is hair raising and he pulls of off!

His youtube is Paul11290

It sure is difficult!

The buggers relock every door they pass through, even ones I've picked previously! And continue to relight every light I douse!

Dammit to hell!!!

Paul's video is amusing. He's gotten so many close calls I would've reached for the escape button a hundred times already! But I'll stop before he gets to areas I haven't been to yet.

So far, though, an impressive, albeit hardass mission, Sotha :smile:

It sure is difficult!

The buggers relock every door they pass through, even ones I've picked previously! And continue to relight every light I douse!

Dammit to hell!!!

Paul's video is amusing. He's gotten so many close calls I would've reached for the escape button a hundred times already! But I'll stop before he gets to areas I haven't been to yet.

So far, though, an impressive, albeit hardass mission, Sotha :smile:

Have fun! Remember, when the challenge level is high, so is the reward of success. If it is difficult and you manage pull it off, you'll be a badass!

If the respawning revenants are blocking your path, remember that bashing an unsuspecting one once or twice in the head with the sword kills them rather safely (and free of tool consumption). If you feel like using brute force to temporarily clear some areas of individual enemies, that is. And use the tools. The missions was designed so that you have plenty of tools at your disposal, and the player is expected to use them.

I wanted this to be very difficult as it is the finishing mission of the TP series. Ulysses: Genesis is next, and should be somewhat easier.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Have fun! Remember, when the challenge level is high, so is the reward of success. If it is difficult and you manage pull it off, you'll be a badass!

If the respawning revenants are blocking your path, remember that bashing an unsuspecting one once or twice in the head with the sword kills them rather safely (and free of tool consumption). If you feel like using brute force to temporarily clear some areas of individual enemies, that is. And use the tools. The missions was designed so that you have plenty of tools at your disposal, and the player is expected to use them.

I wanted this to be very difficult as it is the finishing mission of the TP series. Ulysses: Genesis is next, and should be somewhat easier.

If you were aiming for difficult, you've achieved that goal with flying colors!

I'm still in the middle of this, but I did already vote on this. For unusual gameplay, five stars because there are a lot of quirks in the game here,

with constant relighting of extinguished fires, respawning undead, and the overall unpredictability and amount of foes.

The spoiler parts also show why I gave the gameplay five stars as well, for the sheer difficulty of this task. For visuals, I gave it a four. The outside is spectacular, a perfect opening visual feast. However, when I got inside it was all pretty standard with the skeletons and zombies. Plus,

the lich queen herself, though pale and gray and freaky, demonstrated weird personality attributes: She spoke exactly like a noble woman or a made of flesh and blood and normality. That sort of took out a bit from the scariness, taking me out of the mission with such normal speech patterns.

I've already played Ulysses prior to this, and it was pretty cool

with the guys in the beginning with the red lights on their heads, illuminating everything in their path far ahead.

It was funny that those came at the start of the mission, while up in the manor there was nothing like it. However, in Ulysses,

in the manor it was hard to tell who the two bad guys were after their initial discussion in the front hall. Once I lost track of them, I had no idea who was who, which made it hard to kill the right guys. Next time there's an assassination theme, please, make the targets somehow stand out from the rest of the guards. Just a suggestion.

In any case, thanks for making such awesome missions, Sotha :)

Yes, I gotten some feedback on the identification of the targets from others, too. Originally,

Hector was supposed to have dossiers on the other conspirators for easy identification. This was a bit clumsy storywise, so I tried to verbally describe the targets in Hector's journal. Because people had problems in identification, it is clear it was a mistake.

I agree that when/if I do more this kind of AI targetting objectives in the future, there will be graphical dossiers (hitman style) or the targets will have some kind of distinct props, so that they really stand out from the others.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

How do you load and fire the cannon. I have the gunpowder, and cannonball and slow match,

but there doesn't seem to be any way to load them.

I tried dropping both gunpowder and cannonball into muzzle, tried frobbing it, tried

the back of the cannon, tried to light the fuse, but nothing happens.

I guess I'll just fire a fire arrow at it hoping it's already loaded.

[EDIT] Issue resolved. Found I was too close to cannon muzzle

Edited by Venus

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Loved this mission. Was really interesting with undead respawning, relighting lights and the shadow guys

were really interesting.

Really liked the whole idea, only thing that had me running around for awhile was the garlic

in the kitchen, I missed it first 2 times thru there looking for it. Definitely DOH moment. lol

Thanks Sotha, great mission.

Ven

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 11 months later...

Hey Sotha, really great mission! It has great atmosphere and I especially liked the shadows. I only have one problem:

I cannot light the fire beneath the cauldron, since I have no more fire arrows. Is there a fix?

I am sure, you can help! Again: So far this mission is really great and fun to play. Should not take too long to finish, after my problem is solved...

Hey Sotha, really great mission! It has great atmosphere and I especially liked the shadows. I only have one problem:

I cannot light the fire beneath the cauldron, since I have no more fire arrows. Is there a fix?

I am sure, you can help! Again: So far this mission is really great and fun to play. Should not take too long to finish, after my problem is solved...

Its been a while since I've played but don't you use the slow match there?