• Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Aesthetics

• Poor
    • Good
    • Great
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

I have just asked Obs this very question as it less confusing to have the FMs called Oldhabits 1 and Oldhabits 2. Once I get the nod from him I will sort the FM pages and download links out.

Okay thanks. Also I did what you had suggested - delete Oldhabits from FM folder and redownloaded and it comes up the same - Oldhabits 2 in FM list, Oldhabits 1 downloads in game. I think I will just delete from FM list and wait until its all sorted out. Thanks for your help Bikerdude.

@Thiefette: There was no update to this mission, as it was tested under 2.0 already before release. You can download the mission from the link in the first post in this thread.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

As per my conversion with Obs, the original mission is now called Oldhabits 1 and the rebuilt version now Oldhabits 2.

Do the maps in each version have the same name? It doesn't matter as far as TDM is concerned, but I keep copies of map files for debugging purposes.

@Thiefette: There was no update to this mission, as it was tested under 2.0 already before release. You can download the mission from the link in the first post in this thread.

Thanks Obsttorte, I was trying to get them through the in game downloader and was running into some difficulties. I will probably just go to your posts to down load them as I'm still having difficulties - see reply in this post to Bikerdude.

As per my conversion with Obs, the original mission is now called Oldhabits 1 and the rebuilt version now Oldhabits 2.

:@Thiefette, be sure delete any copies of 'oldhabits' in your fms folder.

Bikerdude - things still aren't working for me. Have deleted all "Oldhabits" in FMS folder and redownloaded 1& 2 (as listed) from in game mission loader. In FMS folder they are listed as 1 & 2. In the missions list (after downloading) they are both called "Oldhabits" - no number and are the same game. When highlighting each one there seems to be a mix up under mission briefing and notes. See my screenshots for possibly better explanation. The first two pics are taken from the first highlighted Oldhabits. The third and fourth are from the second highlighted Oldhabits .post-3777-0-47606500-1382321783_thumb.jpg post-3777-0-18948800-1382321825_thumb.jpg post-3777-0-54440100-1382321848_thumb.jpg post-3777-0-64981400-1382321873_thumb.jpg I'm sorry this is so jumbled together (can't do spacing or paragraphs). As I said I went in and played both missions and they are the same.

• 1 month later...

So "Oldhabits1" is the old version? I've been playing through it, I thought it was only the first part ... newbie mistake :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've been enjoying it regardless - even if I might be missing out on some goodies in the new version.

Just a couple things I need help with

- The chest in the lords bedroom, I can't seem to find any way to open it. I've disable the generator in the basement but this only opens the glass in the museum.

- The jewels behind the shield in the hallway with statues and animal heads on the wall? I know it's there, I want to get it all so I resorted to the console (I know....) :wub: But there doesn't seem to be any buttons to open it - maybe I've not looked in the right place...

Any hints?

EDIT: Meh, nevermind, sometimes all you need is to post on the forums and ten minutes later you find it :wacko:

Thanks for an excellent mission Obsttorte, I do love me a good manor heist :ph34r:

Edited by Shadrach

Ahah, I almost spoiled myself before realising this is about Old Habit 2! (thought it was a sequel).

I really liked Old Habit 1, anyway.

Very good flow, i was always able to plan my next moves. Inspiring.

Some really exciting parts.

2nd floor: armored guard with torch and timed lockpicking. Hardcore! Attic: armored guard with torch, crates, beams, what else? God I failed so many times there ;) But it was great. Yard: nice climbing path. The light from the window killed me!

While the main story plot is fine but a little classical, I loved the small "side" plots.

The story of the new guard and the key in the jacks. The captain's diary mentionned the new guard, the rats and shovel, and for some reason I found the bloke hilarious ;) The servant and his mom's letter. Not sure if it is worth mentionning but I saw this guy sitting on thin air (no chair), and then he went to bed, woke up and fall through. "See you in the afterlife, man." Saw the note of the cook's friend also, that was justifying some loot positionning.

Found the whole place very good looking. For what my aesthetic assesment is worth...

That's it. Congrats ! Got to play the V2.

Edited by Bastoc

Jared, is that you ?

Must be rats...

It seems that the in-game downloader is still pointing to the wrong mission. So if you want to play the rebuild, please download it from the link in the first post.

It seems that the in-game downloader is still pointing to the wrong mission. So if you want to play the rebuild, please download it from the link in the first post.

I downloaded Old Habits 2 from in-game and it's certainly a different mission from Old Habits 1? Is there another updated version?

While I'm at it, gotta say I love it - love the look and the toughness - while the first one was not so impressive with the design of the house and felt a bit bare, this one feels really good, it looks like a real place someone lives in. Work of a master B)

And I could need a little hint for tonights continued play if you kindly?

I can't seem to figure where to find the key for the upstairs locked door - the one near the hallway and the guard with a torch, near the window you can climb to. I've been inside the throne room and the private quarters of the lord but not been able to figure where I've missed looking. Something obvious, I'm sure :wub:

Edited by Shadrach

There is no key for that door. The door is just there out of architectural logic. I think a readable says that only the lord has the key, and he isn't there.

Thanks for the help Obsttorte - I understand now that door is referred to on the map and is the same as the top door of the south stairwell. It was obvious really.

Some further help is needed I'm afraid (or maybe it's a bug)

The torches in the crypt - no matter which order I light them I can't get anything to happen.

I've tried lighting the second from left with Fire first, since the picture shows it being lit, then Water on left and the rest.

But should not the order be Water, Fire, Moss, Gas? At least that's how I understand the message - but maybe there's some other hint I need to understand.

And some bugs:

The priest does not leave his room, he seems to be stuck between the chair and his desk and does not move even when i noclip in and reveal myself.

I was able to read spoilers to figure out where the secret passage is - but without these there would be no way in the world I would find it, even listening in the stairwell, so I could not get in there.

Also, the "mysterious letter" inside the alcove after using holy water on the statues was invisible, is this intentional? I only found it by pure chance by frobbing at the flor since I though there might be a secret somewhere there.

I will try to recreate these errors - I might have made too much noise and "scared" the priest to get stuck where he was.

Edited by Shadrach

I can't remember the right order of the flames now, but the one shown on the picture has to be enlighted with fire. The order is told by the statue and stands on the secret message. Regarding this one, after you've used holy water on both statues the message should become visible.

The secret passage to the priest's room is secret, so it shouldn't be too obvious to find. As getting into the crypt is optional, so that the possibility of people not finding it is acceptable.

Ok I just figured it out. And let me just say:

That was a NASTY surprise - no fair man! :blink:

Hehe I do enjoy a challenge and I figured something bad was about to happen down there, it was too obvious. Then again, I did not expect what happened! Good thing I save a lot lol.

Spent a good long while whacking the crown with the sword to get it into the tunnel where I would be safe (is that the only option here??) then needed a couple saves to get the door open on time.

Thanks for a fun mission, really well made!

Thank you.

Regarding the crown: If you stand beside the sarcophagus when frobbing the crown, the trap won't kill you ;)

• 8 months later...

Well, this is THIEF I thought to myself once or two times (or three).

In the Throne room for sure

I finished yesterday in 4 hours and 48 sec, but I played almost two all nights (many quick saves and loads). First mission that I decided stop playing on Expert and started again on Hard level.

Chapel looks and feels awesome.

I really love long distance arrow shots.

You had cool ideas with, for example, key to footlocker hidden in... and

letter from Blade that thief can just hold in hand not in inventory.

Now I think Reqiuem and Old Habits are my favourite fan missions.

Reqiuem has a great and mysterious story. Habits in opposite has a simple story but this is good - player can enjoy almost pure continuous stealth action in really well designed interiors.

Three issues that I want to mention here are:

In the shed where the key to chapel is you can manipulate chair through glass window - funny thing.

On the picture from statues I think sequence should be symetrical. I mean "fire and water, earth and air".

So fire on the left side close to the crypt, water on the right side close to the crypt and now (it would be better and more logically) earth on the left side away from the crypt and air on the right side away from the crypt. But this is just suggestion.

Moss arrow truly can lit two torches at once but it is easy to avoid that situation by shooting slighty below the head of the torch.

Anyway.

Thanks for great mission and good time.

It is so grateful to observe the way in which The Dark Mod is getting better and better.

Obstttorte means Fruit Cake, yes?

Edited by Shadowthief
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I am not a good story writer nor do I care much about the story when I play games myself. For me the just give me a motivation to play a game, but the best games I've played in my live had no or almost no story: Tetris, Super Mario and Donkey Kong. Zelda is another favourite, although it has more story, though.

I always try to focus on good gameplay, as I think this is the aspect of mapping which suits my abilities most.

The moss arrow thingy gave me some hard times, too. I've alredy tried to minimize that issue. Using it first is a good way to deal with it.

And yes, Obsttorte=fruit cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing on 2.02 and there is a problem in the hut in the garden

I have had 4 crashes there

Two of which were when the movable pallet appeared to fall on me and killed me and the others when it froze

Noclipped in and this time when I crouched down to pick up the bottles it froze again

Edited by Oldjim

Already saw this when I released it. But as it only occoured randomly, none of my betatesters had reported it and I have no idea what is causing it, I wasn't able to fix it.

It appears to happen when walking into the broken bottles and shards

I did things a bit different - I blackjacked the priest in the chapel when I first entered it rather than having him walk up and down the stairs

Edited by Oldjim

• 5 months later...

Just played this... both part 1 and 2 (the remake). Very nice, although one of the hardest ever TDM missions I've seen :)

There seems to be a bug however. I move the vase in the priest's room aside, open the secret floor tile, get the key to the crypt, and go down in the crypt. I light the torches in order with the arrows provided by the statues, but even after all 4 are on the passage doesn't open. From what I read in other posts here, it should. I had to noclip past the obstacle due to this, but otherwise it all works well.

error

Can you post a screenie of the torches? Maybe you used the wrong arrows on the wrong torches (so you've mixed up the order)

I can't recall the order exactly, but the one in your screenie is wrong. There are two hints for the "combination" which you have to take into consideration.

EDIT:

I think it is gas fire water earth. The image on the parchment ingame shows the place of the fire light

I can't recall the order exactly, but the one in your screenie is wrong. There are two hints for the "combination" which you have to take into consideration.

EDIT:

I think it is gas fire water earth. The image on the parchment ingame shows the place of the fire light

Ahhh, I understand. Pretty sure that is the order the note indicated. Or the one I understood at least, it might have had a different meaning in this case. I was probably wrong and it's not a bug then though...

• 7 months later...

That was a great mission. It had an interesting map and the addition of the crown objective gave it that extra panache. I enjoyed figuring out the riddles too. I played it on expert and it was very challenging eluding the guards, especially those with torches! I found gaining access to the 2nd floor a bit frustrating, but perseverance paid off.