The Dark Mod Forums

[Resolved in TDM 2.06] OpenAL EAX support?

Albert

Hello,

I was about to make a thread for this topic and here it was....I cannot get the simple OpenAL to work for the life of me! I am getting great Dolby Surround as my ASUS Xonar soundcard has a headphone amp...but forcing OpenAL via the darkmod.cfg file crashes the game with the "hardware buffer" error! Don't know why it's not working, I tried re-installing drivers and OpenAL...it was working gr8 for me before in Doom 3 but I recent upgraded my PC and re-formatted the HDD, and that might have screwed something up! I believe it doesn't work in Doom 3 either for me now. I guess even turning it on will not make much of difference as it will only probably give the Dolby effect that I already am getting.....But OMG! If we can get sound via EFX or some other alternative like in the EAX video posted above, the immersion factor of TDM will be increased tenfold!

OpenAL has an extension called EFX that encapsulates all the functionality of EAX without the hardware requirements. Scroll up a bit and you'll see that some work has already been done to integrate it into TDM.

How exactly does OpenAL work on non-creative cards..?

I have said that I am willing to do the port to dhewm3 again in the coming week, however I can make no promises that it will happen other than... I'm happy to do it if the others are happy. I will discuss it in the next few days.

This would be appreciated as I have been unable to test the eaxdemo map. I have updated the bug tracker 0003220 with the error I have been getting when I enable EAX in TDM.

Through OpenAL Soft, a software based implementation of the OpenAL API. You can download binaries here.

You don't have to do a full blown install to test it. Just make a copy of soft_oal.dll from the respective Win32 or Win64 directories, rename it OpenAL32.dll, and plop it into the same working directory as the executable you intend to run.

Doing this, I can enable OpenAL in TDM. But I get the same error message you have posted on the bug tracker when trying to start an FM.

Yea, when i started up 2.0 for the first time, I went straight for the audio settings to try it out. I was very sadface. I'm almost tempted to throw the stupid Audigy2 back in my computer to get this to work. If serps is back and can merge the fix in, it will be a great day!

• nbohr1more changed the title to [Resolved in TDM 2.06] OpenAL EAX support?