The Dark Mod Forums

Optional sound package wanted?

SeriousToni

Hello everyone :)

As I am not happy with the current footstep and movement sounds, I started replacing them by my own. Every here and then, when I have time I do some more replacements and I just wanted to know if some people are interested in this?

If so then I could make an optional sound replacement package for these people if necessary?

I made an example video here with the chainmail sound and the snow footsteps:

http://youtu.be/OMr22WOQvj4

• Like 3

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I'm interested in footstep noises for the player, mainly because I would think that a leather booted thief would not be wearing stiff soled shoes. Also the footsteps in water seem excessively loud in pretty much every FM I've played, maybe it has to be for AI recognition, or maybe it can be adjusted and never is adjusted lower but it is loud and shrill where as water has more of a medium/high/low mix.

Personally I can't tell any difference in the chainmail sounds in the video. The plate sounds I personally like the original snow one better. The "new" snow sound seems like it would be good for plate armor walking on dirt path or light gravel?

Everything else soundwise in the mod seems about right to me and I've noticed in some recent FMs I've played the door and chest noises are much much more realistic too which I like.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Lux

I see this is a subjective matter for everyone. As some people might love the new sounds, others don't even hear a difference or like the original ones better. I think it's the only way to make an optional sound package so everyone can choose which version fits more.

As a little joke, listen to these sounds here - you might heard them somewhere else already.. ;)

http://youtu.be/jCK2nJxpdvA

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I thought that a mild reverb is okay since it can be overwritten by stronger reverb effects later, like in Thief. I tested it by adding a "small room" reverb and a "large tunnel" reverb too and it worked :)

But yeah, you're right - if there was EFX the sounds wouldn't need the standard reverb and still wouldn't sound so sterile. Hm...

Yes, it's that catch 22. Without reverb, things sound worse now than they could, but eventually they'll sound better. It just comes down to how long "eventually" is.

What I'm saying is that we've been using sounds without reverb for years, because sounds with reverb don't sound great with EFX. However, TDM doesn't have EFX yet, and who knows how long it will take?

I'd rather have good sounds now, and fix the problem of EFX if and when it arrives.

I like these new stone footsteps. I think the reverb could be toned down just a little bit, and the jump sound is a bit loud, but they're an improvement over our current ones. We'd need an entire set of footsteps with reverb though...would couldn't have it for some materials and not others (except for ones that make nearly no noise at all like carpet).

Yup. Reverb makes the audio scene more.. exciting and atmospheric.

But didn't someone say EAX-kind of stuff was coming to TDM2? Better check that before carrying on and putting reverb all around the place.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

But didn't someone say EAX-kind of stuff was coming to TDM2

I've been hearing that for a long time, but I've yet to see any evidence of it. The update of NHAT is coming out "soon" too. ;)

Yes, it's that catch 22.

What does catch 22 actually mean? I know an album called as this but it doesn't make much sense wordly translated.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Ah - now I see! :)

I understand that adding reverb could be a problem when EFX is added later. But as I said I tested it out on my sound software and had no problems. Even making a "tiny room sound" doesn't collide with the reverb as it's only minimal. But it makes the sound much more organic - plus the new sound recordings I used.

Some sounds for the player and the ai are already done - you can listen to them here: :)

http://youtu.be/o46xJVfpSOQ

You can add a somewhat subtle neutral reverb and compound it with EAX or EFX. They just won't perfectly match most of the existing TDM assets.

If you listen to the assets of Thief 2 (particularly the vocals), there is waaaaay too much naturally captured reverb compared to today's standards. But if you had an EAX-enabled card back then, boy did it sound nice!

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

You people aren't easy to please for sure! :P

I used the original snow sounds now but made them a bit less loud (mixed with the new ones) as the old ones sounded like you were walking on latex.

http://youtu.be/FINCSA-Wf8k

The v2 stone footstep sounds I like a lot. They sound perfect in that stone hallway but outside or in a cathedral or on a street there would be too much reverb as others have stated. The adjusted snow sounds great for a packed walkway and the original is much better for deeper packed snow.

One thing I noticed is that the footstep sounds of player and ai get cut off as soon as a new footstep sound is propagated by the same person. Is it possible to make them play simultanous instead of getting cut off in the code somewhere?

Anyways, here's the next update, have fun:) :

http://youtu.be/MJKdy5e092g

Hmm. I like some of these. The player wood footsteps sound awfully quiet.

How are you recording these, out of curiosity?

Yes thanks for the advice - I'm still trying to fit the volumes for the final version correctly. :)

As I can't record footsteps by my own in a good quality I use free licensed sounds from the internet remastering and mixing them with a music software which I bought for 70 € :D

Both of those just posted for dirt/wood sound really good if just a bit 'hollow'. Like the EQ needs brought up a bit on the middle upper spectrum and down a bit on the lower middle spectrum.

I like them both though and yeah maybe a bit too frequent on the wood creak.

Here's my 2 cents regarding optional sound packs.

I think it's an awesome idea. It would be best if players could download and easily apply optional sound packages. This should support changing the sound package as many times as you want, including reverting to the default sounds. Perhaps it would require a game restart, like when loading new missions or changing certain graphics settings. But it would be nice to have an option in the in-game settings to apply such soundfonts, so to speak. It would also be cool to see something similar for alternate texture packs as well. I know I'm stating the obvious, but default sound/texture names would have to be preserved to support existing missions.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8