The Dark Mod Forums

Getting Missions 2.0 ready

Springheel

We have 29 missions that are already 2.0 ready, and nearly all the missions that needed developer fixes have been addressed.

At this point, we now have a bunch of missions that require mapper fixes. This could mean the map uses a D3 texture that will not be replaced by developers, and so needs to be replaced by an existing TDM texture, or it could mean that the map references something like a zombie joint that no longer exists. Whatever the case, mapper fixes require one of two responses: either a new .pk4, or the mapper signing off that the fix isn't necessary (perhaps it's a small texture that can hardly be seen and isn't worth a new .pk4).

I need mappers to look through the following lists and see if their map is there: http://wiki.thedarkm...OR_MAPPER_FIXES

http://wiki.thedarkm...RRENTLY_WORKING

If you're a mapper and your map is listed there with a "mapper fix" issue, please post in this thread with the following information:

1. Does this issue need to be fixed?

2. If 1 = yes, are you willing to fix it and post an updated pk4?

3. If 1 = yes, but 2 = no, do you give your permission for someone else to fix it?

I will record the name of the person dealing with the "mapper fixes" on the wiki page.

Glenham must be fixed. The fixer needs to go through all the zombies and replace the bindtojoint spawnargs on objects bound to the zombies to something that exist. If the new zombie is different in dimensions, the objects must be moved a bit so that they are where they should be, ie like the book in the zombie's hand.

I'm totally burned out after LQD so I would appreciate if someone in the community could fix this on my behalf. Anyone who knows the joint names for the new zombie could do it, albeit the possible moving of objects needs some trial and error testing to see the objects are correctly.

I can fix LQD face problem and a few issues there are, myself.

Mandrasola should be auto-fixed if/when the new werebeast becomes available.

The Alchemist, I consider Fidcal's map, not mine.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

simplen00b has offered to look out for some bubble water sounds for Old Habits. The rebuild has been beta-tested under 2.0, too. I will take another look myself but it should not cause any problems. You can assign this to me.

I will provide new pk4's for Builder Roads and Old Habits, as there are some gameplay bugs that needs fixing. Is there an approximate release date for TDM 2.0 yet?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Regarding Heart of Lone Salvation:

The object that needs replacement is this

post-11230-0-46115700-1370081658.png

It's pretty small and could be done quite easely. If Fidcal don't has the time, I can do this.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I forgot to mention that mappers intent on fixing their maps will be given access to TDM 2.0 so that they can properly test/use the new assets.

I will provide new pk4's for Builder Roads and Old Habits, as there are some gameplay bugs that needs fixing

Mappers fixing issues that aren't related to 2.0 can just do their thing as they normally would; I can only afford to keep track of issues related to the 2.0 release.

Is there an approximate release date for TDM 2.0 yet?

If the new .pk4s could be ready by the end of July that would be helpful.

regarding the wiki Deceptive Shadows has no missing assets but it is in the "Ready for mapper fixes list".BTW there is no needed copy of map and models files in the particles folder.They are no harm but someone could have delete them from .pk4 or I can do that myself

Winter Harvest has some missing asset but should I update v2 ? I heard Bikerdude had v3 in the works...

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

regarding the wiki Deceptive Shadows has no missing assets but it is in the "Ready for mapper fixes list"

It needs to be beta-tested before getting moved to the "ready to release" section.

I added a few notes to the wiki for "The Creeps" on how to fix the crash (I included the fix in the last updated pk4 some months ago). I'm very limited on time as I start graduate studies, so I give permission to anyone who wants to adopt and fix it. (Deepest apologies on my simply passing-the-buck :blush: )

Aside from the crash, I think it only needs replacement light textures -- (they don't need to be pixel-perfect, since lightgem stealth is a cursory part of the mission at most)

The most difficult replacement asset are the particle effects. I believe there are some sewer water drips and some dust falling from the ceiling (both of which I stole from D3 assets -_- )

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Glenham must be fixed. The fixer needs to go through all the zombies and replace the bindtojoint spawnargs on objects bound to the zombies to something that exist.

I'm probably the worst person to have a go at this as I don't know my spawnarg from my elbow, BUT -

I opened GT in DR and (amazingly) got to this point:

post-9265-0-00151400-1370452929_thumb.jpg

So is it the 'Chest' value that needs to be changed to something else? If so, is there a list of 1.08 bindToJoint values with their 2.0 equivalents? Am I in the right area?

If someone who knows what they're doing is already onto this, I will more than willingly step aside. I'm just keen to help (or try to) cuz I love GT and would love to play it in 2.0, but I may need lots of hand-holding.

Exactly. Only the bindtojoint values needs to be changed to something that exists on the new zombie. I do not know the values, but I'm guessing they are the same as for the standard humanoid AI, because I'm under impression that they use the same animations.

List of joints:

http://wiki.thedarkm...tle=BindToJoint

I could be wrong, thought. Thanks for looking into this! I appreciate your efforts greatly!

Clipper

You really need to have 2.0 in order to fix this mission, otherwise you won't have the new zombie, and the mission will crash the moment you switch one of the joints. PM me I'd you'd like it.

Winter Harvest has some missing asset but should I update v2 ? I heard Bikerdude had v3 in the works...

You and Biker need to sort that one out...Biker already has half a dozen maps that need adjusting, so he might welcome some help....

Ok, I've PM'd everyone that hasn't already responded. HappyCheeze can't receive PMs anymore and hasn't logged in for over a year, so I don't expect a response there.

How long is a reasonable time to wait for a response from others? Some haven't logged in for months.

I haven't got 2.0 installed yet and no time tonight. I'll try to take a look over the next couple of days.

Obstortte: Thanks. If you want to fix that paper wad in HoLS then I'd be grateful. As I recall it was that screwed up love letter behind the bed in the housekeeper's room. The shape and detail isn't important.

In fact, if anyone wants to fix any of mine, go ahead but if not I'll make time.

That elevator thing in Den is, I think, a really simple alternating dark/light texture sequential cog thing up the wall.

Quick update re Glenham:

i) Good news - bindtojoint values are sorted so it opens without crashing B)

ii) Not-so-good news - I've spent over an hour getting the Morley zombie to look like he/it's holding his last letter, and it's still not quite there:

post-9265-0-08963500-1370474778_thumb.jpg

the possible moving of objects needs some trial and error testing

You're

not

kidding.

Just getting the origin values right was bad enough, but trying to get the rotation right... :wacko: This is going to take some time, although this scroll and the book are probably going to be the hardest. The daggers just need to go deeper in IMO - they look like they've only gone in a couple of inches (I guess because the new zombie model is smaller).

However, the most terrifying thing about this screenshot is that it seems the GT zombies can levitate, and even worse, climb tables. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

• Like 2

However, the most terrifying thing about this screenshot is that it seems the GT zombies can levitate, and even worse, climb tables.

That can happen when monsterclip surrounding tables doesn't go all the way to the ceiling, as is the case in GT.

Monsterclip that extends up only to the tabletop presents pathfinding with valid AAS areas on the surface of the monsterclip brush, so AI are allowed to walk there.

The most extreme example of this we've seen is a guard in Sons of Baltona who levitated to the top of the tall outer wall because there was no monsterclip up there to keep him off.

I was playing Lockdown tonight, and a guard climbed up a tree while searching for me!!

The most extreme example of this we've seen is a guard in Sons of Baltona who levitated to the top of the tall outer wall because there was no monsterclip up there to keep him off.

How would a guard get up that high though? I doubt mappers think much about monsterclipping the top of walls that are taller than the AI...I know I never considered it.

How would a guard get up that high though? I doubt mappers think much about monsterclipping the top of walls that are taller than the AI...I know I never considered it.

Pathfinding is a funny beast. AI aren't supposed to transition from one area to a neighboring area if the distance is more than a step height (14 or so). But they do it anyway sometimes. This is why we find them on tabletops, walls, trees, etc.

Where exactly in the map did this happen? I'll bet there's a monsterclip brush whose top is sitting somewhere up in that tree, and pathfinding let the guard go up there.

This is why I continually advocate pushing monsterclip brushes up to the ceiling of the room they're in. The existence of tons of AAS areas the AI are never supposed to use simply complicates pathfinding, and can even lead to AI not being able to use elevators. Remember the Saint Lucia elevator that wouldn't work because of the worldspawn trim around a nearby door?

The fewer AAS areas the better. If there's a horizontal monsterclip surface, DMAP generate an AAS area for it.

I think in Lockdown the tree wasn't monsterclipped at all...AI kept treadmilling into it.

In general, I monsterclip to the ceiling unless it's something that AI might reasonably step on, like a static bucket or something. But I wouldn't think to monsterclip the top of walls. Presumably ending up on the top of them must not happen very often.

Just getting the origin values right was bad enough, but trying to get the rotation right... :wacko: This is going to take some time, although this scroll and the book are probably going to be the hardest. The daggers just need to go deeper in IMO - they look like they've only gone in a couple of inches (I guess because the new zombie model is smaller).

Thanks again for looking into this. The screenshot zombie with the scroll looks fine, but yeah, it is easier to gauge when the AI is in motion.

Once you are done with the fixes and are about to bundle everything back into the TDM2.0-ready pk4, please add the following line to the readme.txt

"Big thanks to simplen00b for making the map TDM2.0 standalone compatible!"

On monsterclipping:

simplen00b: is the table climbing and levitation a constant problem that happens every time? Does the AI get stuck? Or is it a random fluke from which the AI can recover? IIRC, if this is the AI that lies on the bed, I placed intentionally monsterclip so that the AI can stand on the bed and maybe on the table.

When I made GT, I think the AAS-area thing grayman mentioned was not generally known.

Grayman,

Now when I think more about this "AAS pathfinding on top of high objects" -thing, I wonder... Could there be something wrong with the AAS-flooding? I know that if there is an AI or an AAS-flood entity in the area, the path-finding is generated. If an AI is teleported to area where were no AIs or AAS-floods, there exist no path-finding in that area.

This means there has to be some kind of rules when the game considers some areas reachable by the AI and some not. There is a critical height difference between AAS areas, where the engine cuts the AAS flooding, because it thinks the AI cannot go there. Does anyone know what this limit is? If it is "AI cannot walk there," then -in principle- those AAS areas that are placed on top of fireplaces, barrels or other high objects that the AI cannot walk onto should not have AAS-pathfinding, right? But they do, so AAS flooding is more tolerant to heights, than the normal AI walk accessibility.

Clipper

You and Biker need to sort that one out...Biker already has half a dozen maps that need adjusting, so he might welcome some help....

Sh and myself are currently working on v3 and as I have a lot on my plate atm we are just gonna integrate the new castle and tweak the story to accommodate.