The Dark Mod Forums

How to break apart models for editing ?

letran

Is it possible to import a model and then break it out into component parts for further editing ?

I'd like to use a well and be able to go down it but the model won't allow this. If i could break it apart i could either make it bigger or make it look broken in some way.

It will save time rather than designing from scratch.

thanks,

If it is an .ase or .lwo model, you cannot take them apart in DR.

It is often easier to create new items in DR, if you feel the models available aren't optimal for your purposes.

A well is quick and easy to do and you already have a reference model you can imitate. You can also take the well-model's textures.

You say you will waste time if you make a new well in DR, but you could see it also as good practice with patches. You need those skills anyway later in order to make good-looking maps.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

You are right of course. I know that there's no substitute for doing things yourself, especially when learning. I'm a keen puppy at the moment !!

Anyway, thanks for the info. It's a pity you can't take the models apart as I'm sure there's more complicated ones that would enable you to achieve your look in less time - time is precious !

I imported WS1 in the north map to have a look - crikey there's alot that makes up a great map. Sooo much to learn.

Many thanks to all for quick replies.

Lastly, if I produce a new model (in my case a well) how can I package it and save from DR to share with others ? How do I share ?

Thanks

Lastly, if I produce a new model (in my case a well) how can I package it and save from DR to share with others ? How do I share ?

Thanks

If you make a model in DR, you can either

1) export it as a prefab

2) save it as an .ase model

Prefab is like a collection of brushes and patches like they are in DR. People can edit them easily in DR. On the other hand, if you clone several prefabs in your map, each one of them consume memory. Prefabs -like other editable func_statics- are subject to the annoying DR object distortion bug.

.ase model 'glues' the brushes into a model. It cannot be edited anymore. The model is placed in your mission.pk4 models folder and thus it is available in your mission. If you clone models around, only one of the models consume memory. Models are memory economic in that sense. Models are completely unaffected by the DR distortion bug.

AFAIK, there is no mapper resource sharing system in TDM. When you release your map, anyone could open your map and make copy prefabs of the stuff in your map. If you made an .ase model, the mapper only needs to get the model.ase and put it into their own models folder and they have it available.

At this point, I'm not sure the team accepts DR modeled models into the core mod. There are a lot of stuff there, and I think they will only accept ultra-high-quality models made with modeling software.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

At this point, I'm not sure the team accepts DR modeled models into the core mod. There are a lot of stuff there, and I think they will only accept ultra-high-quality models made with modeling software.

The green desk lamp, square stove,kingsized bed models I made are in 1.08 :-)

I imported WS1 in the north map to have a look - crikey there's alot that makes up a great map. Sooo much to learn.

Yeah, it gave me many a headache.

One good habit to develop as your maps get more complicated is to make use of DR's layers. That lets you isolate the area you're working on. ws1_north.map has 44 layers, so it's much easier to understand when you toggle on just the one or two you're working in.

One good habit to develop as your maps get more complicated is to make use of DR's layers.

Good to know that's used alot - i thought it made sense as i have a single house and its tricky to see whats going on once some models have been added !

Out of interest - how long would something like ws1_in the north take to produce, start to finish ?

• 3 weeks later...

Out of interest - how long would something like ws1_in the north take to produce, start to finish ?

I dont think an accurate answer can be given to this. You have to take in to account how much experience and knowledge of DR the person in question has. Also how much time they can spend on mapping. this also differs from person to person. Some people can only map at weekends due to working during the week. Some people have work and a family so can only map here and there.

Personally I wouldn't even consider attempting something on the scale of WS1 for your first map. It was Graymans second FM but I'd be willing to wager that he's had at least some mapping experience before coming to TDM.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

The question is also what exactly you mean with "something like". How much time needed to be spend really depends on what you are doing. The details so to say, not only like in detailing. Let's assume for example you want to make the mission appear to be bigger as it really is. This could be accomplished by adding blocked hallway for example. This could be a hallway bricked or collapsed. While the first thing takes a skilled mapper less than a minute, the latter may needs 5-10. If you sum this up on a mission of the scale of In the north, a mapper can easely save dozens of hours by choosing the fast way.

But if you want a number: I guess I would need at least 200-300 hours for a map of this scale and detail. I barely remember grayman posting that he worked on it for a year or so.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thanks Obsttorte. I know you can't put a single figure on it but its good to know what to expect if i want to produce anything half as good as that !

I'm really enjoying mapping when i can and as soon as i have something worth showing i'll post some shots in the relevant thread.