The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

There are QTEs for opening windows and stuff to get into the mansion on the level that they've shown.

That's not a QTE. QTEs usually have an on screen prompt that requires action or you die. But the person in the Q&A Mr. Tibbs posted did say this near the end:

Thanks guys, this was very instructive. And wait until you hear what they have to say about QTEs...

So that seems to indicates they might be dumping those too. If they weren't, it would be kind of a "screw you" to the fans to joke about it, as they're pretty much universally hated.

So that seems to indicates they might be dumping those too. If they weren't, it would be kind of a "screw you" to the fans to joke about it, as they're pretty much universally hated.

And that would surprise you?...They've been giving us the finger for the past four years.

If they make these magical changes, I think it only backs up just how worried they are.

Maybe they'll start a trend, but... yeah who knows. Pretty sure they're just changing tune in interviews as a result of the lack in preorders (the absolute bane of modern games, along with paid beta/alpha).

Even though I'm not a fan of those xp system, too, I'm not sure it is good news if they are making such changes only a few months before release. They had 5 years to ask the players what they would like to have and what not. This appears extremely unprofessional to me.

Actually an xp system in a stealth game is not bad per se, just getting xp for kills is. Deus Ex had an xp system, where you got experience for finding secret areas for example, or if you proceeded in a special not so easy or obvious way.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'm glad to see this go, but there are still major doubts in my mind whether this reboot is worth my money or time. I can put up with a lot, but what worries me the most is their contextual action button decision. I know they've since given the jump action a dedicated button, but the fact that it used to be contextual means that the entire game had been designed to be very linear, very restrictive and therefore is not designed to cater to players who enjoy the freedom to explore. This is unlikely to have changed.

It will probably be an enjoyable game, but I just wish they wouldn't use the name 'Thief' by itself, it suggests they're redefining what a thief game is, which pisses on the memory of the originals. Even TDS didn't go that far.

Edited by Midnight

Actually an xp system in a stealth game is not bad per se, just getting xp for kills is. Deus Ex had an xp system, where you got experience for finding secret areas for example, or if you proceeded in a special not so easy or obvious way.

Do you have any information if they scrapped the *entire* XP system, or maybe just the "congratulations, another headshot" system?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

At first, we wanted to outline the progression of the player with XP, but it was reducing our motivation to steal. The main goal of a thief should be to gain loot. Garrett is already the Master Thief, so we saw no need to have XP as a core mechanic.

Then why the hell was it there in the first place?

Thanks guys, this was very instructive. And wait until you hear what they have to say about QTEs...

So this was a quote from the new Eidos PR person? That completely changes its impression on me.

Everytime I read a statement by those guys I have the feeling that I just lost some brain cells. :wacko:

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thought this was funny, not sure if anyone else noticed it, but THIS very thread was linked to in the article that was posted on TTLG, regarding the loss of the XP system. It's in the first paragraph where the words "skeptical fans" is underlined.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/20329/20131012/thief-4-xbox-one-ps4-release-date.htm

• Like 1

Thought this was funny, not sure if anyone else noticed it, but THIS very thread was linked to in the article that was posted on TTLG, regarding the loss of the XP system. It's in the first paragraph where the words "skeptical fans" is underlined.

http://www.idigitalt...elease-date.htm

Ah, the spotlight feels good.

Call me crazy, but the Thief 4 forums have been "down for maintenance" since TDM went standalone. I think they are afraid of unfavorable comparisons there and also

don't want to be called out for censoring so they are opting for "no discussion at all"...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

There was a thread devoted to TDM there for several days before the site went down, so I doubt that's it.

It's strange it's been down for so long though. What are they doing, going through and deleting all the negative posts by hand?