The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

So, they've gotten rid of 3rd person climbing sequences now. I wonder what other changes they'll make based on negative reviews? Could getting rid of the shroud be far behind?

edit: although for every step forward, we get something like this: (translated from a German review)

The biggest change compared to the previous titles we noticed was the climbing on the rooftops of the city: If we want to jump from one platform into a window on the opposite side of an alley, we only need to run in the general direction, and hold down the left trigger - the jump is then performed automatically. Yes, there is not even a separate jump button. In the same way we pull ourselves up on edges or grab a rope, with which we can climb into the higher level areas. A few minutes passed until we got used to the simplified system. After that we moved rapidly through the level. We only had problems when the game does not exactly recognize our intended targets and we therefore slipped from a wooden beam and plunged into the depths. Old fans of the series might not fall in deep love with this casualised system.

Same as with the Xbone, I think that nothing they do will convince me to buy their game just because of how they had it there in the first place, showing their attitude. This actually scares me even more anyway since they're removing all this stuff at the last second, after already troubled development. This game is going to be a massive hunk of poor programming.

The game is getting better through attrition - I count 3 things now that pissed people off and have been removed (XP, 3rd person climbing, QTEs). It may seem like they're doing a lot of things last minute but for all we know this was done months ago and they've been waiting until QC testing is completely done before announcing it publicly. Not that removing these 3 things make me any more confident the game will be good, but it helps a little.

edit: although for every step forward, we get something like this: (translated from a German review)

I don't know if you read the bit in some reviews, that the game doesn't allow you to jump whenever you like, it restricts you to only jump 'when it make sense'. I haven't seen people jumping in the open either, so I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't exist ;/

The game is getting better through attrition - I count 3 things now that pissed people off and have been removed (XP, 3rd person climbing, QTEs). It may seem like they're doing a lot of things last minute but for all we know this was done months ago and they've been waiting until QC testing is completely done before announcing it publicly. Not that removing these 3 things make me any more confident the game will be good, but it helps a little.

I guess if they had asked people five years ago what they would like to see in a new thief and what not, they could have saved the time they've invested in implementing these "features". ;)

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Have QTE's officially been dumped? I haven't seen that announcement.

It's been heavily alluded to, if not officially announced.

Yeah, saw that on the last Q&A. I will be extremely surprised if they do announce such a thing. I just can't see it but you never know. Hell, the next thing you know we'll hear that Stephen Russell is back in the game and jumping, climbing, rope arrows are no longer contextual.

Last I heard there was some squabbling over what defined a QTE and a claim that Thief 4 didn't contain any.

Ducking and diving through the burning bridge, for example, apparently contains no QTEs - with Garrett performing contextual actions as he navigates through that section. Though I suspect some will find it a bit too scripted - even if the scripts are fired by context rather than wrote.

I think Master Taffer on the official boards mentioned there was one QTE in the bridge burning part of the demo at E3. I think just having one QTE is almost worse - here you're playing the game, expecting to have complete control over Garrett, and all of a sudden a huge X comes across the screen. Talk about anti-immersion, not to mention just plain confusion for the player.

Ducking and diving through the burning bridge, for example, apparently contains no QTEs - with Garrett performing contextual actions as he navigates through that section.

heehee, I guess contextual controls and QTEs really don't mix

Press 'X' to jump here

Press 'X' to duck and roll here

Press 'X' to wall jump here

Press 'X' to swoop here

Press 'X' to jump again

QTE damage keyboards, probably alright if your are using controller that's built for heavy wear and the buttons are close together, but banging a random mixture of 5 keys all across your keyboard, is like doing twister (game with 4 rows of 4 colours where you put your real hands and feet according to a spinning dial) in about 5 seconds, your keyboard is going to fly out the window after the n'th number of failed attempts..

Not sure where feminists enter the picture considering Thief was made by a studio with a higher than usual number of women in key positions producing games which are rather popular with women (which is how feminism works), but anyway, I give the rant a healthy 8/10! B)

I think that's what he means... made by women for modern girls and gays to play with and catering to the least intelligent set of abilities that a teen can have. Damn how I wish for the "stay in the kitchen and cook woman!" days of yore.

I certainly won't be wasting my money on it as it has nothing to do with the previous Thief games at all.

I too am horribly disapointed with it just as I was by Bethesda's Skyrim UI.

From the looks of Thief the New it will disappoint everyone who previously played the game that it's supposed to be based on.

I think I see where this is all going... to finger touch your way thru games or 'wave' at them to play.

The PC is certainly going to lose out and so will it's users unless they too join the mindless masses and succumb to being ' comfortably numb" the way bigbrobiz wants us... otherwise you will be stuck in a time warp like I am... I cannot find any game newer than 5 years old that I like. ( other than TDM - of course - and Morrowind and Oblivion mod remakes.)

Did you know they actually hired a New York fashion designer to 'make' his silly looking super hero outfit.

Did you know they actually hired a New York fashion designer to 'make' his silly looking super hero outfit.

I don't doubt that!

What I find so unfortunate about these huge productions is that they mean well. I don't see them as greedy bastards trying to suck every drop they can out of a franchise. I bet there's a lot of love and honest effort being invested in these AAA games.

My theory is that the lack of a director-like figure creates a situation where several different forces pull the development in different directions. The result is a shapeless blob, completely generic, a sum of features that are floating around in the industry.

If we feel heart broken, (I certainly do) imagine the die hard thief fans that are actually working there, putting effort into something they don't like where it's going.

And 4 things, if the quote that Garrett's constant talking and stating the obvious were for the press playing the demos only...

I guess you could also include the recent revelation that the combat system is "bad on purpose." It seemed for a while there like they were making violence a legitimate strategy when it should be a last resort.

What I find so unfortunate about these huge productions is that they mean well. I don't see them as greedy bastards trying to suck every drop they can out of a franchise. I bet there's a lot of love and honest effort being invested in these AAA games.

My theory is that the lack of a director-like figure creates a situation where several different forces pull the development in different directions. The result is a shapeless blob, completely generic, a sum of features that are floating around in the industry.

If we feel heart broken, (I certainly do) imagine the die hard thief fans that are actually working there, putting effort into something they don't like where it's going.

This is exactly the problem with those AAA productions. On the one side, you normally have more developers in there as with low budget projects. But more people means it gets more and more complicated to create something on line, where the gameplay and design points right into one specific direction.

Th other problem, as mentioned earlier on in this thread, is the amount of money the publishers invest in such games. They want the game to sell good, what is completely ok, but the more money you've put in the more has to come out. This means, that AAA productions simple have to a broad audience, which will always distract the hardcore fans or niche players.

It's completely the same in movies or music. Generally, the more money is in the game, the more worse is the quality.

That's why TDM is such a great thing, noone here cares about money. :)

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter