The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

I have egg on my face!

Scrambled is the tastiest. :D

__

Whilst I can understand some grievances and fears, I think the term dumbing down is too generalised and a misconception to believe a broader audience equates to a stupider one. With the rise of the casual gamer, I don't disagree there is some merit in the argument and the industry should be mindful of this when developing their games. Not all have, as we know from experience; but you can only fairly judge each product independently. Whether or not EM have struck a good balance remains to be seen.

Catering for all player-types is about diversity which brings the opportunity to introduce new players to the fold. Better to have some than none at all and, in real terms, the 'some' can amount to thousands of new fans... and fan mission makers too, of course. Sure, not all newcomers will become as good as "us" current veterans... but some will; and that can only be a good thing in my book. Some might begin on easy mode with Focus turned on... but, if the interest is there (and you have to have that; no matter what), they will go on to play and enjoy the old-school mode.

So, I can only feel positive about the prospect of a new generation of Thief fans at this point in time.

• Like 1

A lot is riding on pronouns connected with the ol' trilogy, more than the characters' traits, the lore, the world, and gameplay (...)

Now that you mention lore I automatically though of the factions, an important part of Thief world. I wounder myself... why in the name of Trickster they removed them? They thought they weren't cool? Or simply because they couldn't captor their facial motions? Whatever are the reasons that's an interesting part of Thief series, and that always keep me interested to know more about them, despite my love to the pagans :).

probably why its not called thief 4 (...)

Dunno about that stumpy... I remembered a video on this post, someone of the team Thiaf talking about the story. As far as I can remember he mention not only being a reboot, but also continuing the story of the 3th game, the same girl that Garrett meet in the end. So I think they are mixing things removing other stuff.

It's hard not to cut things when you're just that edgy. Pissing on walls guys, next gen edgy.

"we did farts. now we do sperm. we are cutting edge." -- theo.c

But hey when they release Tn1ef 2 not the metal age, they're gonna have to have find something more new and even more edgy, maybe they can move away from the traditional goto 'rich guys making the plebs sick', and go for the totally new 'war is hell'. That way they can just read directly from all of the recent and terrible CoD crap book. All those tricky moral dilemmas, real depth man. Maybe they can start work on the trailers now, using the upcoming love interest. "I know these crooked roads, these back alleys, the gutters of running filth... because I've shat in my fair share of them."

But hey, at least they finally came to their senses and stopped releasing more media of this nightmare for everyone to mock time and time again. If they have learned something; it's that feeding a fire lovely dumb logs is a bad idea.

Really liked this article: http://www.p4rgaming...-accessibility/

OK, they're pretending to say it about Mirror's Edge, but we know which game they really mean.

That's oddly beautiful.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

...I had to double take ;)

anyways...

I'm sure some will disagree, but I'd argue that T3 wasn't a strong title.

If you presume that a sizeable bunch of the existing Thief fanbase only played T3 via their xboxes or whatever, then I don't think you've got a compelling reason to stick with the old factions.

And I think Thief 3 did a lot to harm the factions for those who remember the Looking Glass games: the Hammers, and especially the Pagans, and especially especially the Keepers were reduced to the farcical. They could have called it Thief: Carry On Keepers tbh. Plus the addition of new, low value, beast factions just kinda served to devalue all the factions further. Hell, throw some more in why not.

So while I think the Hammers and Pagans and Keepers in T1 and T2 were strong story elements, I'd not grumble too hard that EM want to go somewhere else. T3 was a tough act to follow for all the wrong reasons. What I find puzzling is why they then decided to confuse their fresh start by calling their protagonist Garrett.

Edited by jay pettitt

they've cut out all the best bits of the game in their re-imagining of the story.

Indeed and in a bad way for our nightmare. I can be wrong here but, when you try re-imaging something you must remain all the things from a story: world, characters, lore, creatures, etc. What you can change is how the story is told.

(...) maybe they can move away from the traditional goto 'rich guys making the plebs sick' (...)

And that's my problem as well. Apparently the writer(s) "forgot" that are other stuff to explore. Yeah yeah a rich guy wants to be rich, big deal. And the worst in the end the baron will not have a good reason to be evil, or if will have one it will a cliche.

Really liked this article: http://www.p4rgaming...-accessibility/

“The mistake that other companies make is that they create games for gamers when then should be creating games for people".

I simply have no words for this. Because gamers are not people. Probably animals, beasts, cash cow or whatever EA thinks gamers are these days. It's so wrong in many levels. But EA is known for not doing a good game, but destroying franchises so I'm not surprised.

Edited by Loa4ever

Booster Pack – Get access to an exclusive bundle of optional in-game consumables that can empower you and hasten your progression through Thief.

I wish I could travel 10 years or so into the past and share this with all of the people that were calling me "elitist" for voicing my concerns with the direction gaming was taking.

• Like 1

I wish I could travel 10 years or so into the past and share this with all of the people that were calling me "elitist" for voicing my concerns with the direction gaming was taking.

I have a strong sense that this, in the end, will turn out alright. There will always be people devoted to content with some depth to it, and you are most certainly not alone. The internet makes it possible to find these like-minded individuals and build something worth sharing.

Don't be so glum, we'll fix it!

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

I thought Woah was being rather glum. At least that's how I interpreted it.

By saying "we'll fix it", I mean we can make something work. It's a figure of speech I tend to use in daily communication, but that is in Dutch (and also probably very regional), so it probably doesn't translate that way to English.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

I mean that people who want content with depth will cluster together and form a market. This is precisely what is happening here at TDM. It's not like there won't be any in-depth content ever, it's just more of a niche thing.