The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

I already have. In the post you were replying to. All you did was repeat the same questionable claims over. It would be tiresome to go over them yet again.

Look, you're asserting that 'immersion' is delicate and precarious. Which is plainly bunk. You're sitting in a house, at a desk interpreting some fairly rudimentary sounds and some images on a 2D display where human behaviour is reduced to patrol routes and you've got a keyboard or a little controller in your hands and then... Bazzam! - you're figuratively transported into a convincing 3D alternate world.

The ability for the human psyche to be fooled knows no bounds. That's just psychology 101. Sure you can go wrong. You can fall into the uncanny valley. Or bore people to a stupor. But fooling human minds is very definitely not rocket science.

Ooodles of 'immersive' games have flashing whirring spinning HUD elements. Games people you like, like a lot. Games like System Shock.

It helps of course that the HUD elements fit the sci-fi theme. Something that wouldn't be true with Thief. But you know what: the Shroud is EM making a feedback system that's got a naturalistic theme that is fitting for a Thief game. And all power to them. I'm keen to try it. (not £30 keen, granted, but maybe Steam Sale keen).

Also I saw this on a post on the Eidos forums.. apparently supernatural things are in

JW36rPY.png

I feel like Arkane should really sue Eidos Montreal for plagiarism at this point. The similarities between this and Dishonored are really really obvious now. They even have a Granny Rags character for Christ's sake.

Edited by skacky
  • Like 1

I doubt it's direct plagiarism (but hey I could be wrong) but it seems more like they drew inspiration from the same places. I wish though we could get a good chunk of gameplay without it randomly cutting in and out to a presenter or people talking over it. I want to see what the game is like with just me and the game which until it's released can obviously only be done with a gameplay video minus commentary.

This has to be a joke.

The lack of imagination here is really sad. A plague, a mysterious old woman, a missing girl, tyrants pursuing power and a scrappy rebel faction looking to set things right. Eidos Montreal are looking to the trappings of Arkane's Dishonored for inspiration, rather than Looking Glass, Ion Storm or doing something original. Unless they're still hiding it, Thief lacks any gameplay innovations beside the swoop feature. The supernatural abilities drew folks to Dishonored and made it feel distinct from Thief. It has a personality. Thief looks like first-person Assassin's Creed.

• Like 3

And here we go again with trailers.... HEY EM, stop doing them! Enough, no seriously. Instant of with this crap, focus on your goddamn game for once. Or better yet, give up on the franchise, or give it other name and name it the characters differently, leave Thief alone :(.

Just watched the story trailer. It was even worse than I expected.

Sad music

"Erin died."

"I'll never forget it. Everything else: gone."

"Balance has shifted. We can all feel it."

"Your city needs you Garret."

"I'm no saviour."

Dramatic music

"Something has changed in you, child of shadows."

"No one is paying you to risk your neck for this!"

DRAMATIC MUSIC INTENSIFIES

CRACK! BAM! BROKEN NECK MONTAGE! MULTIPLE BRUTAL TAKEDOWN!

"There are worse things in the shadows than you."

We used to joke around with my friends, creating these short super-cliche scenarios that NuThief could feature in its trailers, and I'm not kidding when I say that one that I came up with was almost word to word what they have in the trailer now.

It's just shallow, generic Hollywood blockbuster 101 sort of tripe. I'm so damn disappointed. Also, if it wasn't obvious before that Erin lives on in some form it is after this trailer. You can see that she falls in the middle of the ritual those robed figures are conducting, probably turning her into a vessel of some evil spirit or whatever.

Edited by kyyrma
  • Like 2

Why is Garrett beating the crap out of everyone?

Because he is an edgy and reluctant anti-hero with nothing to lose on a quest for redemption, of course.

"It's like a steampunk Max Payne without any of the self-awareness! 11/10" -IGN

Edited by kyyrma
  • Like 1

Yeah I watched that yesterday. I think the worst thing in that is definitely the abominable voice acting.

A harsh word..."abominable".

I'd agree with you if it was really off... like high 'n' squeaky from inhaling helium. :D

I think Romano is doing a good job, all things considered, and I can't say his voice is in any way loathsome.

As for the other characters... I need to listen again. I enjoyed the voice of The Queen of Beggars. It has a pleasant husky tone that I really like.

Why is Garrett beating the crap out of everyone?

I guess the player behind the controller/keyboard chooses to show off his combat skills.

Yeah I watched that yesterday. I think the worst thing in that is definitely the abominable voice acting.

It has to be using Carmina Burana as the musical score.

What an embarrasing, horrible failure this is turning out to be. Well okay, it is entertaining in a way.

• Like 4

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved