The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

So did Garrett steal the claw or no? I don't see how he could, given what we've seen in that gif.

Yeah, we were informed by Gallagher he stole it.

We're only seeing snippets in the trailer... not the whole thing as it pans out.

Just as Erin begins to climb onto the glass, Garrett's arms/hands appear to be doing something behind her - perhaps this is when he retrieves it and throws it back to Erin - seeing as there is no stopping her foolishness.

I want to hear it. Shame on Eidos Montreal.

The only thing I haven't figured out in the whole Stephen Russell debacle is - since we know the whole "motion capture/lip syncing" excuse is just BS, what's the real reason EM decided not to use SR? Did he maybe ask for too much money, having played Garrett before and also having done extensive voice work in Skyrim?

Tax breaks for hiring local talent?

I've considered that. Plus, they'd be paying for two people instead of one since Orzari is also doing the motion capture. Still, it would probably be a very small percentage of the game's budget, wouldn't it?

I'm wondering if there's more to it than that. Creative differences, possibly? Stephen Russell still hasn't responded to the Eidos connected fan letter, AFAIK.

And it's also too much of a coincidence now that stealth gaming has a market to cater to, that Eidos would want to reboot the franchise given the succcess of ASSASSIN'S CREED or DISHONOURED.

However, I don't consider either of those games stealth. They a hybrid of stealth and action, similar to DEUS EX:HR, where action paramounts over stealth.

True stealth is the essence of THIEF, not hitting a button and then a cinematic sequence shows the character/player jumping down and taking out someone. That is dandy for watching a movie, but it removes all the tension/challenge/reward from actually having to DO IT YOURSELF.

Maybe Garret snatched it and tossed it on that large glass dome like a schoolyard bully?

This is NuGarret after all.

However, I don't consider either of those games stealth. They a hybrid of stealth and action, similar to DEUS EX:HR, where action paramounts over stealth.

I agree with you on Assassin's Creed and Dishonored, but IMO DX:HR was pretty much a stealth game with broken action glued on to it. Especially on harder difficulties.

I'm not saying the stealth in HR was good (I hate cover based stealth). Just that it was much more necessary to sneak around in that game then for example Dishonored or AC, which both make it easy to mow down pretty much any opposition if you so wish.

Edited by kyyrma
  • Like 1

Not to keep the posts rolling, but I've heard that the whole faction (Hammer/Pagan/Keeper) has been removed from the game. (or possibly not yet revealed?)

The dev's wants to focus on just stealing, etc.

A huge part of THIEF for me was the lore of the City, with Hammers (Order), Pagans,(Chaos), City Watch/Nobles(ignorant society),and the Keepers (maintaining balance). And Garrett is the protagonist/anti-hero that kept these things in line as much as he didn't want to be part of it. But he was "chosen" and that gave the player the ability to really immerse themself in that fictional world.

The game is not out yet tho, so I can't throw stones. Given the trailers and discusssions it does not seem that they will be following the footsteps of the previous titles. I can hope for something...but my gut is telling me something different.

Who knows?

We know the Hammerites and Pagans are not in it, barring off-hand references scattered in out of the way places where they won't bother anyone.

And it's also too much of a coincidence now that stealth gaming has a market to cater to, that Eidos would want to reboot the franchise given the succcess of ASSASSIN'S CREED or DISHONOURED.

An unnecessary one in my opinion. Plus they will not make any difference from other franchises, despite they will ill try to say the contrary. And what I find funny about this is people saying that Thiaf is copying; being inspired by Dishonoured, winch of course is the the last one was inspired by the first one. Did any of you guys had seen this kind of comments? What do you think about it?

A huge part of THIEF for me was the lore of the City, with Hammers (Order), Pagans,(Chaos), City Watch/Nobles(ignorant society),and the Keepers (maintaining balance). And Garrett is the protagonist/anti-hero that kept these things in line as much as he didn't want to be part of it. But he was "chosen" and that gave the player the ability to really immerse themself in that fictional world.

Totally agree with you. Even if this new team of Tiaf are doing a reboot, at least keep things from Thief world. Instance you have a copy of other game because sold so well, they are spectating the same. Instance of... I don't know explore other factions that could had an interesting story. And here I'm referring of Thieves Guild, Assassins, Wizards. I would mind to have a Thief game where we will see what the assassins are up too, for example or wizards on their magic towers.

Edited by Loa4ever

Am I the only one completely unimpressed by the mo-cap? The characters in the trailer look heavily stylized and the animations don't look especially impressive either. I feel like I'm watching a mid-2000s game.

Well, if this was the only thing I'd ever seen about nuThief, I'd be pretty excited. The music is understated, the voice acting is solid, the writing is even pretty decent (although it still seems to be trying a bit too hard).

Well, if this was the only thing I'd ever seen about nuThief, I'd be pretty excited. The music is understated, the voice acting is solid, the writing is even pretty decent (although it still seems to be trying a bit too hard).

It's sooooo freakin' depressing though. The whole feel of that video just made me feel pure darkness, in a bad way.

I feel like Thief games whilst having dark elements for sure were never this down in the dumps about everything, there were certainly "lighter" moments of the game to pull you out of that glum feeling.

That's part of the "trying too hard"--the metaphors about blood oozing and bones and stuff seemed a bit forced. But at least the character Granny Rags seems interesting.

One thing puzzles me from a development standpoint...there are certain things that seem extremely hi-res, like the leather on Garrett's hood, but faces look to me like they're using very low-res textures, for the most part. Compare the delicious texture on his hood and shoulder with the nearly featureless, painted look of his skin and eyebrows. It's not just this story trailer either; I've noticed this in other trailers as well, and even during gameplay.

post-9-0-32518400-1387379413_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So it is Tales From Dunwall, except without the talent. Well, can't say that isn't an apt parallel. :rolleyes:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

After rereading Shakespeare's The Tragedy of Romeo & Juliet, I recall a moment when Romeo says...

"There is no world without Verona walls,

But purgatory, torture, hell itself.

Hence 'banished' is banished from the world,

And world’s exile is death. Then “banished,

Is death mistermed. Calling death 'banishment,'

Thou cutt’st my head off with a golden ax

And smilest upon the stroke that murders me."

I always had a similar impression when it came to The City. Outside it's walls, there is no world, and if there is, it must be awful or not at all relevant.

"Peril waits outside The City," the Queen of Beggars says. What is that supposed to mean? I can't stand vague, empty sounding warnings like this that hint at something bigger while revealing nothing. It's absolutely frustrating!

Edited by Nacht7

The grunt is when he jumps and the cowboy yell is when he contacts the tower, isn't it? Still kind of an odd yell. It reminds me of something from the original games, but I can't quite place it yet.

I noticed the chessboard was set up wrong, too, and I was wondering about the guy on the roof, heheh.

Edited by Maijstral