The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

the levels are too small in thief deadly shadows as its built for the xbox as its memory was so small. Also loading zone's. Loading zones that put you under a light source and not in the shadows when you got to the other side of the loading area, (which means you would get attacked by the guards in the next map as soon as you got there), the not being able to go back to area's to get any loot you may have missed. eg the castle at the start. When it was being advertised that you could go back to already explored area for loot you missed. auto attaching the player to ladders when you walked near them but not actually close enough to climb them, the lack of rope arrows that attached to a wood texture in the previous two games yet they couldn't get it to work in thief 3. (unreal engine, but another game could get rope arrows to work in same game engine, attached to wood objects), them climbing gloves, being able to walk around the church in one level, but when got into it, it covers two levels (bigger on the inside than the out). that radioactive bright blue glow on anything frobable which made it impossible to see the actual textures on the object/door. the inability to swim in water volume's which you could in another game with the same engine. Problems with the ceiling in one of the inside museum map's where it floated about a foot above the top of the walls so you could see out into the void through the gap.

TDS is Return of the Jedi. Flawed, silly, and terribly inferior to its predecessors. But it was enjoyable and had moments of the old magic.

• Like 4

Relax a bit, guys. We can't change a thing with T4.

I disagree. WE can change Thief4, speak your mind to developers, start petitions to show them ho you really care about the franchise, make videos speaking about their lies and expose them to others. You as a consumer have the power, and a fan of the franchise without you they are nothing. So please don't tell others you can't chance nothing, YOU can if you desire for it.

...am I the only one who really liked Thief: Deadly Shadows?

I have mixed feelings when comes to TDS. I reconize they made wrong decisions, on other hand I found enjoyable. For once I liked the Bright Cradle mission for example, I found interesting the idea Garrett travel to the past. One thing I fount ridiculous Garrett need of climbing gloves for example, you as a thief you have to be a dexterous person, not necessary like AC. Other thing I didn't like was they removing the rope arrows.

But was the game spectacular? No, enjoyable? A part.

[Doug] Church explained that Eidos Interactive, Thief's publisher, had little faith in the product. "Eidos never really believed in it and until the end told us to put more monsters in the levels and have more fighting and exploring and less stealth and I'm not sure there was ever a point they got it. The trailers Eidos did for Thief were all scenes with people shooting fire arrows at people charging them. So you can derive from that how well they understood or believed in the idea."

One more reason for them to give up on the franchise, or to change everything and saying it is inspired on Thief. Or if they are so in dispair to do this game, at least they should play thief games to know what thief fans want.

Edited by Loa4ever

I disagree. WE can change Thief4, speak your mind to developers

Absolutely true, several things have already been changed due to complaints from the community - QTEs were discarded, the XP system was dashed, and The Shroud effect has been lessened, in addition to some other things that I can't think of at the moment.

• Like 2

I've not been following this thread at all, but it has recenty come to light that we might have an indirect line of communication with eidos. So that being the case and as I am in-between contracts atm I would like to volunteer to work for eidos and sign an NDA (if need be) and either work directly with the studio creating T4 or act as a rep for the fans (unlike what we have atm)

Heck, get into their QA department.

Oh man, I can see it now.... <slowly moves his right hand/arm in a wide declinating arc so as to convey the vastness of his vision..(insert inspiring music here).>

Maaann why can't I mantle there (FFS, I can in TDM..)or, There are several hundred Z-fighting bugs/miss-aligned textures/bad particle effects or, Christ that texture is rubbish I've seen better work from TDM nubes or, What the hell is that Ai doing that entirely unrealistic or, Oh dear god who's idea was it to use that background ambient or, Seriously have any of you guys actually played <insert thief game of choice here>

i think the medpacks might be a packet of herbs and bandages, I heard as they've ditched magic in most parts the magic potions also went. as for the dry ice arrows, I guess with all the electrical boxes seen in some in game play someone argued that water arrows would short out an electrical box so they got replaced with dry ice so that people would have to buy wire cutters, (unless they just nicked the idea from dishonored) and not that the electricity in the previous games worked by sending electricity through the ether (as in sent by radio waves). as dry ice and its resulting gas CO2, does not conduct electricity, like water does. Although a dry ice burst in the face would disorientate a guard, or freeze the snot in his nose and kill him. (not seen a female guard yet so guess they are all male)

• Like 1

Well, Just punted my CV off to them.

Good luck!

(not seen a female guard yet so guess they are all male)

Huh... I didn't even think of that until now. How odd