The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

I don't recall if anyone official has said either is affiliated with them.

Do you know if there are any images of Eastwick? Gaming press who saw the early demo must have seen Eastwick but I don't recall any descriptions of him.

There's one of the trailers that I need to watch again to see if it has any relevance to the speculation.

Okay, the guy talking about the old and the poor not holding back the evolution of the City in "The Uprising" trailer. Same voice as the the guy Channeling the Primal or not?

Edited by Maijstral

The child Baron has the same pattern of moles as the lead Brother of the Awakened. The placement doesn't appear to be exact but it's pretty close. Voice of the lead Brother seems to be the same as who I assumed to be the Baron in "The Uprising" trailer. The lead Brother resembles the Baron's statue enough that the statue could be from years earlier. The lead Brother is shaping up to be the Baron or possibly a sibling. The lip moles are odd--young Baron, mother(presumably) of the Baron, Queen of Beggars, lead Brother, Xiao Xiao. Some kind of family connection between all of them possibly?

http://i0.wp.com/www.cgmeetup.net/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Thief-Channeling-the-Primal-1.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/0e6ea61b81e73bca0b389b04c32809a3/tumblr_mry5k4oyDg1s5hkrgo1_1280.jpg

http://gamingtrend.com/wp-content/screenshots/thief-gamescom-screens/thief-gamescom-2013-01.jpg

A bust of the Baron, near the Lizotte painting entrance to the vault with the Heart of the Lion in the demo:

http://i70.photobuck...7/BaronBust.jpg

Patrick Stewart is the Baron? :P

Haha! Check out some of the images of Garrett and notice where he has a conveniently placed scar.

http://i1.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article2911572.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/THIEF-Channeling-of-the-Primal-2911572.png

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/ZL5AgQizYmY/maxresdefault.jpg

http://s1.dmcdn.net/DNRC-/x240-tUn.jpg

Edited by Maijstral

Man, the FOV in these screenshots is making me feel claustrophobic.

I haven't really been following this as much as my past self probably would have. The industry has managed to make me cynical to the point where something with prime-time interview minutes at E3 actually puts me off it. It'll most likely be condescending and restrictive, but is nice to look at if you squint and pretend the heavy-handed (pun intended) UI elements aren't there. It remains to be seen whether or not it will be fun, which is really the bottom line as far as I'm concerned. If it's condescending and hand-holding I can always impose a playstyle after enjoying myself the first time and then play it through again a few months later.

If you come across coverage of something without looking for it specifically, you can guarantee it'll be rife with illusory freedom. Still, the amount of fun you have playing it is what it comes down to!

Just the thoughts of a latecomer; back to your regularly scheduled speculation.

Edited by Airship Ballet

Yeah, I already know I won't have fun, with how they imposed restrictions on the controls, gameworld variance, 6-D movement. Super stripped down and repetitive. Goodbye MY personal freedom. So now I dig for other things, like I did when I went five years unable to play Thief after the games first blew my mind, until I finally got my own copies and a computer to run 'em.

Wondering now about podcasts on the last Friday of every month--barring "technical difficulties--and Take 5 Q&As.

Freyja/Valerie says they are taking a little break for the holidays. Well, if we have to wait until the last Friday of January, that's not a little break for the podcasts. Resetting the Q&A's, wiping the mountains of questions asked previously away and starting from scratch to pick only a measly 5 of them, is right on with how exasperating EM's been for nearly 4 years.

Yeah I also think a big mistake EM did was announce Thief as soon as they started. Most game companies seem to announce a game when they are around 1 year away from hitting store shelves. Also Thief 2014 has yet to go gold but they only have two months left.

How long does it take to mass produce games now? I would figure they would need at least a month so the manufacturing companies can begin work on mass producing everything. Also the fact that we have no idea about the contents of the collectors edition is another sign that a delay could be on the horizon. I hope they do delay though as there are a few things that need fixing with that game.

The gameplay video is indeed quite bad... However, I liked some parts:

the scene where Garret beats the guard;

- the ring for the equipment (perhaps it is a little big) since I like the idea of pressing one button and move the mouse to select an item;

- the hand animations when picking-up items;

- actually the new light-gem as a cloud around the screen seems a good idea as it reduces the clutter on the screen, but it should be much more subtle.

Other things instead are really bad...

- there are lots of writing in the screen that appears just to annoy you. Since they obviously like hands animation showing an handwritten checklist with a button would work much better as objective list. Other writings seems pointless, like when Garret kills the guards.

- the hand animations when idle or near the walls are just annoying. Realistic perhaps, but in a game they just bother;

- avoidable clutter on the screen;

- extremely weird "blue-vision" what is that; Garret mechanical eye perhaps?

Edited by ezze

- actually the new light-gem as a cloud around the screen seems a good idea as it reduces the clutter on the screen, but it should be much more subtle.

That doesn't replace the lightgem, the lightgem is still there in the game. What they did was reduce the actual lightgem to a trinary (3 stage system) and then added the shroud to communicate additional visibility information that the original lightgem did quite well already.

- actually the new light-gem as a cloud around the screen seems a good idea as it reduces the clutter on the screen,

So using the entire edge of the screen on all four sides is less clutter than a single spot at the bottom? Do tell.

@New Horizon

Oh, dear... Why? Then it is fairly useless. Yes...

@Springheel

If you think in terms of "square centimeters" of course not. But the cloud looks fairly transparent and so you can see through it, that is why I kinda like it. However I am not sure why there is also the classic gem on the bottom left. :unsure: Edit: I read New Horizon's answer... I am sadder now.

Edited by ezze

Yes, it is very sad and foolish of EM to do this.

Unbelievably, the Shroud also flashes white when entering the light, and flashes red when receiving damage... :angry:

Well if a guard is swinging his sword towards my face how else would I be able to tell that I am being hurt? :P

The light flashes is beyond ridiculous as well and the shroud... well they may as well rename this to Glaucoma Simulator 2014. Why do they give us the ability to turn on/off just about every option except for the shroud...

I know they "turned it down" but of the new footage from the New York Comic Con stuff it still looks just as bad to me.

Man... I was stocking up on low priced games... I was sticking to the Linux titles too. Not sure how I came across "Thief", since it's a Windows-only title. Now that I search, I see that they have Thief Gold and Thief 2 as well (and TDS, but I hated that one)... never knew those were on Steam.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8