The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

In better news, I got the Dishonored GOTY edition for Christmas, and with the DLC missions, I can soon play a proper thiefy game again. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

In better news, I got the Dishonored GOTY edition for Christmas, and with the DLC missions.

Oh man your gonna enjoy playing this and my tip of the day for this game - go for the low chaos play method (that's ghosting to a veteran thief player) - you get much longer gameplay and its far more rewarding!

Dishonored was great fun, but don't go into it expecting Thief. I was quite disappointed at first because the stealth is so different (ie. it's mostly line of sight).

• Like 1

That happened to me only once or twice unless I did something obvious, like swing my sword at the ground or fire a pistol or something. But I was talking more about the visual mechanism. It's mostly line of sight--shadows don't actually do very much.

The shroud, though far from being the worst part of the game, is certainly the most annoying.

In the last rather helpful and interesting update for the game, they told us about how almost all the heads-up-displays and user-interfaces were optional. The key word there is almost. Everything can be toggled, all but the shroud. That is terribly tedious.

Edited by Nacht7

The Shroud is the most distracting visual element, because it resides on every edge of the screen and will flash on a regular basis...and unfortunately, it appears to be the core feedback device for NuThief. That is why it isn't allowed to be toggled off. The NuLightGem, was most likely just a tacked-on, crude light meter, so that EM can say "we brought back the light gem...see, we deliver the THIEF DNA everyone". Same goes for the pathetic NuRope...which initially was probably just hanging chains, replaced by attachment points.

Edited by Vae

the rope is probably not an attachment point, but a rope built in to the object and shooting object in correct position releases the rope.

its line of sight in dishonored, and they don't look up, as I fake stealthed down a street on top of the street lights, using the blink thing to teleport to the top of each street light.

Edited by stumpy

the rope is probably not an attachment point, but a rope built in to the object and shooting object in correct position releases the rope.

I would love that!...That way we'd get to play "Pop Goes the NuRope"... :D

...Perhaps we'll get lucky and get a musical tune when slowly drawing back on the bow.

Edited by Vae

Just to pile on a bit - I agree the stealth in Dishonored was not satisfying at all, at least not to a Thief player. Shadows and light didn't affect the game much if at all, and either did the surfaces you walked on. And without a light gem/visibility meter, it was usually impossible to tell how apparent you were to the enemy. A lot of trial and error gameplay.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Dishonored as a thiefesque game, not a carbon copy of the original recipe. This is completely fine with me, since it showed new possibilities while having a lot of the ''DNA'' the Thief 4 devs have been talking about. Not to mention seeing what Purah and Digital Nightfall have been up to. As far as I am concerned, Dishonored is a great part of the Thief legacy, even if it does its own thing.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

all the stealth games have followed the 'splinter cell' version of stealth rather than "the dark project" version of stealth. the majority of people prefer to kill in games rather than bypass the killing. nuThief seems to be based off the 'splinter cell' version. It just seem to be a re-imagining of 'splinter cell' in a medieval/Victorian world. (health packs and wire clippers included)

Edited by stumpy

Different strokes for different folks, I'd say.

Well, you can like what ever you want...yet objectively, both classic THIEF and TDM have higher-fidelity stealth feedback systems than Splinter Cell, Dishonored, and the impending NuThief.

all the stealth games have followed the 'splinter cell' version of stealth rather than "the dark project" version of stealth. the majority of people prefer to kill in games rather than bypass the killing. nuThief seems to be based off the 'splinter cell' version. It just seem to be a re-imagining of 'splinter cell' in a medieval/Victorian world. (health packs and wire clippers included)

I agree with you, stumpy...Both Splinter Cell and NuThief employ a more crude stealth system that is designed to accommodate the basic stealth-action experience, rather than the superior, more granular and dimensionally immersive feedback systems offered with classic THIEF and TDM.

Edited by Vae

I don't really understand... In the 1998 Thief shown the world how to do a stealth system, you can add refinement, technological gadgets (for example, shadows won't help so much if an enemy has infrared vision... on the other side Predator movie comes to mind) and many variants. But the basic idea is: visibility via light gem, sounds from surfaces.

How can you go wrong? Morrowind is a another example, the hiding system is crap and the game is four years newer. It seems lots of developers say: --I can do better-- but they do not think why it is actually better and so actually do crap.

Edited by ezze

It goes back to the early days, when we thought Thief would cause a revolution, or at least bigger ripples than it did, and we imagined what kinds of games there would be that weren't about thieves or assassins, necessarily, but very much within the same stew overall.

Yeah... there was a time when people were thinking Thief, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex would be the first taste of things still to come, not the high water mark of an industry that has generally regressed in almost every way except production values. :mellow:

• Like 2