The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

I guess part of the reason I'm at least a little excited for the new Thief game is because, even though it very likely won't measure up to the originals, it still will potentially be one of the better stealth games in recent memory. It will have some type of light/shadow system, sound based on surface walked upon, ability to ghost the entire game, reactionary AI, etc. Of course, it's going to be lacking in a ton of other areas that we've talked about ad naseaum, but it's still going to be far better stealthwise than games like Dishonored, Hitman, DXHR and Skyrim (I don't know much about the Splinter Cell or AC games, so I can't compare those).

I know this statement is more of an indictment of how bad steatlh has been in recent games than actual praise for New Thief, but I think this game is going to be a case of getting whatever you can out of it. But the biggest bummer though is the lack of an editor for sure.

Edited by brethren

Of course, it's going to be lacking in a ton of other areas that we've talked about ad naseaum, but it's still going to be far better stealthwise than games like Dishonored, Hitman, DXHR and Skyrim

No, you are wrong...Because of the low-fidelity feedback system, the quality of the stealth experience will be much closer to Dishonored and DXHR, rather than classic THIEF and TDM.

OK, but you have to admit the stealth in Thief will better than those other titles - they may have a low-fidelity feedback system (I assume you're talking about the trinary light gem and Shroud combo), but the other games mentioned have no feedback system at all. I never said stealth would be at the level of the originals (I said the opposite, actually), just that it would be better than these other make-believe stealth games.

Stealth in DXHR/Dishonored etc was strictly line-of-sight - whether you hate the other things they are doing to new Thief or not, you have to admit this system will be a little more complex than simple line-of-sight stealth.

And don't forget, you also have AI able to detect Garrett's movement speed and how he walks on different types of surfaces. Other things that these recent games before it were lacking.

Edited by brethren

there is an editor for the unreal 3 engine, epic released the whole professional version in 2009 for free download, its just the assets for the new thief game that aren't available. it more likely there isn't an editor with the game because epic will do square enix for selling something that's copyrighted to epic.

To remind taffers for debates still going on elsewhere:

http://www.oxm.co.uk...igner-on-thief/

The interview doesn't really speak about level design at all. :(

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

There's also the issue of the nature and extent of the heavy modifications that have been made to the Unreal 3 engine, as well as the proprietary 3rd-party applications and plugins worked into it.

Those are self-imposed issue. So from our point of view they are not an argument.

After quickly dispatching the guards Garrett has

Why. Just why?

If NuThief really is designed so that it accommodates classic Thief gameplay and ghosting, why can't they even once show a playthrough like that? It's just making me damn skeptical.

The stuff about the NPCs reacting to shadows sounds great, but my inner pessimist is saying that it might work like that only in specific areas. They would have talked about it more otherwise, because tech where AI reacts to dynamic shadows would be a huge selling point.

Edited by kyyrma

I can't believe that they would include a feature like that and not mention it until now.

I'm not sure if we are allowed to post this but yeah here is the magazine that has the article in question

Yep, the Baron is the lead Brother, apparently.

And those lip moles are still making me wonder about their significance. It seems like an odd thing to put on so many main characters unless there's some reason beyond mere appearance. If it's a characteristic of the Baron's family, that could suggest some genetic link between the Queen of Beggars, the Baron, and Xiao Xiao. The QoB's mole is on the other side of the lip than the Baron's, so maybe she's from some other branch of the family that's in opposition to the Baron's line? I think it's interestng that she has teamed up with Garrett who just happens to have a scar on his upper lip on the same side as the QoB's mole.

Edited by Maijstral

I honestly have to say that I don't much like the way Thief 4 is turning out. I'm surely in no rush to get it but I'll try it out eventually to see how it really fares.

Nonsense, tomfoolery and abject stupidity, all of which can be found on my channel. (TDM stuff included)