The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

As of yet, there has not been a clear answer about what the shroud actually communicates to the player. Does it tell you how lit you are?

No...The Light Gem does that with 3 different stages...

White = Bright Light

Gray = Dim Light

Black = Darkness

...and yes, Light is the primary modifier for Visibility.

How visible you are?

Yes...The Shroud represents visibility with 3 different stages...

No Shroud = No Concealment

Partial Shroud = Partial Concealment

Full Shroud = Concealed (with the possible exception of very close proximity with an Ai, facing the player)

Whether an AI is actually looking at you?

No, it doesn't affect the Shroud when an Ai is looking at you...because the Shroud, as a visibility indicator, is only affected by Light and Stance/Mode (Crouch = Sneak Mode, Peek = Cover Mode)

It's quite possible that the player gets NO feedback about how much his weapon, speed and stance are affecting his visibility.

Drawn Weapon = No effect to visibility (That includes the Fire Arrow!)

Speed = No effect to visibility (That includes running and swooping!)

Stance = Does affect visibility (Crouch and Peek = Concealed, when Light Gem = Black or Gray...If White, then Stance doesn't affect visibility)

Edit: I recently discovered these things after analyzing both gameplay demos from E3 (June) and EuroGamer (Sept)...more to come.

Icons on the head?!? What? Seeing a screaming huge guy with a large hammer running toward me is not enough?!? Ok, this is extreme. But my point is that the AI has behaviors to show how is detecting the player... What is the icon for?

The icons over the head are "alert status indicators", and they are optional...They're there for people who don't know how to use their brain.

Edited by Vae
  • Like 1

Regarding the claw, here's my essay.

She fumbles and drops it, and it slides out on to the center of the glass where she spreads her weight and trys to reach out grabbing it, but can't get it so she moves further out past where she knows is safe and takes a swipe at it hitting it and knocking it to the edge but now she's too far out in the center and it breaks leaving the claw on the circular edge for our hero to find.

They just don't show this part of the cutscene so as not to spoil what actually happen.

The simplist answer is usually the correct one.

Yes...The Shroud represents visibility with 3 different stages...

No Shroud = No Concealment

Partial Shroud = Partial Concealment

Full Shroud = Concealed (with the possible exception of very close proximity with an Ai, facing the player)

What does "concealment" mean?

I'm certain Joe Khoury's never played the early games. No one on the team ever expands upon their fondness of the series beyond saying "it's great." There's never any love or interesting anecdotes when they talk about Thief, and judging from what's been shown so far, I doubt we'll see much appreciation or understanding of what made the series special in the shipping game.

They didn't played the games and never will. Instance they just tells vague words or sentences to alienate Thief fans to make us believe in their words. TDM shows more love and interest than this wannabe thief game, and TDM is simply a mod imagine if this was actually a game on the market.

Funny thing is, Master Taffer, one of the mods over on Eidos, claims that he's talked to these guys in person, and that they're really into Thief, and talk about it for hours. and they're really into the lore of the original games, the gameplay, the mechanics, and the absolutely love all the fan missions.

And then somehow, the new game lacks:

-Hammers/Pagans/Keepers

-Magic and/or Steampunk

-Stephen Russell

-Freeform jumping and movement

-Limited rope arrow usage

-Any kind of editor or SDK

But of course, these guys are BIG fans. :blink: If they are, why does it even matter?

• Like 2

I try to be advocate of the devil here...

-Hammers/Pagans/Keepers

No Hammers/Pagans/Keepers? The lore is completely new, expect surprises!

-Magic and/or Steampunk

More earthly medieval setting, more familiar to new gamers.

-Stephen Russell

The actor who gave the movements also gave the voice, it will sounds more natural. I will miss Russell though.

-Limited rope arrow usage

-Freeform jumping and movement

-Any kind of editor or SDK

... I have no arguments to defend them here. Plain bullshit, overall the last point. F U.

Edited by ezze

From what I've heard so far in the trailers and demos, Romano Orzari's voice acting for NuGarrett is the second worst in the game. It's not just bad compared to Stephen Russell. It's bad enough that EM should have used someone else even if they decided they didn't want to use Stephen Russell.

• Like 4

There is a sample of the new voice? While I love Russell I do not want to judge without hearing the one who is going to substitute him...

The reason they gave for replacing Stephen Russell is BS, regardless of how good Ozari might be. From what I've heard of him in the gameplay videos, his performance is flat, dull, and completely lacking any of the personality Russell gave the character.

Eidos Montreal wanted to use someone local and members of the team worked with Romano on Assassin's Creed 2. He's not some agile, young actor. He turns 50 this year! I feel bad for the guy, but his performance as Garrett is completely vanilla.. I'm sure he's a fine actor, but this wasn't a change that ever needed to be made. Since the 2009 announcement, everyone besides petty Eidos apologists said Garrett has to be played by Stephen Russell. They didn't listen, and they'll be dinged for it come release. It's a change for the worse.

Maybe Orzi is a good actor, but I find his G vocals to be terrible. Badly pronounced, completely devoid of any emotion...I've heard fan samples that are better.

Biker had posted there were updated Nvidia driver and I was looking at the release notes and noticed.... its close

New in GeForce 332.21 WHQL drivers

• SLI Technology
    • Assetto Corsa – created profile
    • Eve Online – created DX11 profile
    • Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare – created profile
    • Thief – created profile

What does "concealment" mean?

Concealment means "something that is hidden", not necessarily by a physical barrier...It is the inverse of visibility...hence, if one is partially concealed by darkness, they are also partially visible.

Edited by Vae

Concealment means "something that is hidden", not necessarily by a physical barrier...It is the inverse of visibility...hence, if one is partially concealed by darkness, they are also partially visible.

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused. I thought you said the shroud wasn't registering light levels.

There are a limited number of things that indicate how visible the player is. What I'd love to hear from the EM devs is precisely which ones the shroud actually reports:

1. light level

2. movement speed

3. weapon equipped

4. beside a wall (if they're keeping that)

5. stance (standing or crouched)

Other things the shroud might register (but shouldn't):

6. whether AI have a clear line of sight to you

7. whether AI have detected you

There have been lots of comments from devs that are suggestive about which of these the shroud might report on, but nothing concrete.

Wow, I'm a little floored on this, but it looks like EM might actually be planning on doing something with the T2 source code after all. Jerion over on the official forums was doing a little Q&A from a recent playthrough at EM, and this question got asked by Darkness Falls:

Did you ask what the status of the Thief 1/2 DarkEngine source code was? I.e., Do they plan to release it to the public? Have they made a bunch of new levels for Thief 2 using it? Etc.

And Jerion's answer was this:

3) Yes, we did! Something is actually planned for it that should be happening sooner rather than later. Hopefully not Soon™, though. Don't want to go into detail here because things are still in motion, and there's the possibility that I could mess it up just by talking about it.

Sounds promising.

Edited by brethren
  • Like 1

Considering it's already effectively out, it'd be nice if they legitimated it, then among other things Le Corbeau could come out of the shadows and there could be a proper community project on updating the source with new versions, so it's not just LeC by himself.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.