The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

DRM has destroyed the possibility of modern gaming for so many, myself included.

Not enough unfortunately, people do not care about basics...

I dread the day the polymer of my Thief discs will get brittle and shatter, like so many have reported and held little funerals for, ha! If you are privileged, you cannot understand, and unless you are sniffing arrogantly at the idea that you have neighbors who are not as privileged and do NOT take what you enjoy for granted, the least you could do is stop taking our only options just because you don't get it.

I happened to me, when I saw gog selling DRM-free copies I was SO HAPPY... :)

• Like 2

Yay! Have you seen this thread?:

http://www.ttlg.com/...ad.php?t=127969

While I don't see Garrett doing the same thing, having to move and flee between tenements and safehouses, the shelves of books (all actually read and reread), movies on cassette and disc, vinyl albums and CDs (and staring at the album art while the music plays, heh), and video games cartridges and discs, are a treasure hoard. It's physical, and most of it doesn't cease to exist when electricity is gone. And now, electricity isn't enough. God DAMMITALL!

No, I hadn't seen that thread till now.

But I'm in the same boat of agreement when it comes to physical copies (that don't fail when the hard drive does).

I love being able to stare at an album cover, have company over and pass it around and everyone has there take on it that they can share, as opposed to the very small image projected on my iPod.

I will admit that over the years my collection of physical things has gotten smaller, but it doesn't minimize, but rather magnify the pieces in my collection that I have chosen to keep and hold on to for so long.

The min & rec specs are a bit odd -

Minimum System Requirements

CPU: High-performance dual core CPU or quad core CPU

RAM: 4 GB

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 4800 series / Nvidia GTS 250

DirectX: DirectX 10

HDD/SSD: 20 GB

Recommended Specs

CPU: AMD FX 8000 series or better / Intel i7 Quad Core CPU ( a 3.0Ghz Corei5 is more than enough)

RAM: 4+ GB

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 series or better / Nvidia GTX 660 series or better - (R9 series card is gen above the GTX660, they should be stating a HD7870 (which is the same as an R9-270)

DirectX: DirectX 11

HDD/SSD: 20 GB

That's good about the recommended specs. I have a 7870 (which seems to handle anything I throw at it quite well and for my CPU I have an FX6300 which I think will be more than capable of handling it as I doubt the game would utilize 8 cores. As for ram I have 2 4 GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance ram.

Hopefully if its designed well for PC there will be no problems ;)

Dang, I'm looking around the recent posts and I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't have a gaming PC here! If Thief 4 is good, I'm getting it for the PS4...sometime after I get Metal Gear Solid 5! :D

Until we get a response from EM themselves, DarknessFalls noticed NuGaret seems to need to be standing to open doors, sliding into place and leaving a crouched position instead of just opening the dadgummed door. I'll be keeping an eye out for that. The reports that the full animation for opening a door needs to play out before the player gets control again were already bad enough.

Dude, your being too picky on the tiniest of quirks! 0_o

Edited by Matoro

But these sorts of quirks aren't tiny for a lot of people. The game is wresting control from the player, and that's immersion-breaking for many players.

Yes, they sure are. I bought Far Cry 3 on Steam Christmas sale and played it through over the holidays. I was rather annoyed by the constant loss of control, no matter what I did. Cool animations are OK, but cool animation x 1000 and no way to switch them off or escape from them becomes annoying. By the time I was through with the story, I removed the game immediately from the library, which is pretty rare for me. And categorized it as DONE.

• Like 1

People here have probably already read this thread at ttlg, but ThePhotoshop(Dan Hindes of Sneaky Bastards) has quite a bit to say about NuThief. Of all the people in the gaming press(I should qualify that--of all the people I've read in the gaming press but I don't really read much of the gaming press), he's probably the closest to my views on Thief.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143053&page=3&p=2230649&viewfull=1#post2230649

"Eidos Montreal appears to have a different understand of the concept of 'immersion' than that which has come to the surface via twenty years of design practices in actual immersive sims. For them, immersion is mutually exclusive to subtlety; everything must be animated, everything must be visualised, everything must be put directly in front of the player. The broader, more ambiguous factors that contribute to immersion - a sense of place through consistent locations; a sense of character through defined, context-free control verbs - are apparently less important."

Edited by Maijstral
  • Like 2

Yes, they sure are. I bought Far Cry 3 on Steam Christmas sale and played it through over the holidays. I was rather annoyed by the constant loss of control, no matter what I did. Cool animations are OK, but cool animation x 1000 and no way to switch them off or escape from them becomes annoying. By the time I was through with the story, I removed the game immediately from the library, which is pretty rare for me. And categorized it as DONE.

Yeah, completely agree and did the exact same thing. Far Cry 1 was an excellent new experience. Far Cry 2 introduced some new stuff but suffered in some mechanics and the story but was still a lot of fun minus the repetitive side mission objectives. Far Cry 3, played, didn't care about "collecting skins" for crafting, and after a few hours just wanted it to be over. Uninstalled immediately after finishing, good riddens.

Most AAA game devs/publishers are on a "cinematic" kick right now and have been for the last several years. I believe it will wear off and they will strike a balance eventually, after so many posts to the contrary, but that time is not here yet. Movies are for watching, Games are for participating, and rarely the two should meet.

How do they compare to PS4 or XBOX 1 specs, or PS3 or XBOX 360, for that matter?

PS4:

• CPU: 8xCore@ 1.6 Ghz L2 Cache: 2 x 2 MB, 28 nm (similar to a underclocked AMD FX-8300)
  • GPU: AMD 1152 x Cores, Clock 800 MHz, 1.84 TFLOPS (similar to an AMD HD7870)
  • RAM: 8GB GDDR5 @ 5500 MHz,256-bit, 176.0 GB/s (fastest PC ram atm is DDR3@3200) *
  • HDD: 500GB user removable (very Meh, WTF didnt they use an SSD?)

Xbone:

• CPU: 8xCore@ 1.6 Ghz L2 Cache: 2 x 2 MB, 28 nm (similar to a underclocked AMD FX-8300)
  • GPU: AMD 768 x Cores, Clock 800 MHz, 1.23 TFLOPS (similar to an AMD HD7770)
  • RAM: 8GB GDDR5 @ 2133 MHz,256-bit, 86.0 GB/s (same as O/C PC ram)
  • HDD: 500GB user removable (see above)

* GDDR5 has more bandwidth then DDR3) but most gamers can't use anything above DDR3@1600/1866 w/out overlocking.

My theory as to using a regular HDD instead of SSD would be at the start they want to reduce costs and get the console in as many hands as possible so they use regular HDDs... But after a period of time they can offer SSD drives say for an extra $100 which they can market as increasing game speed and lowering loading times without having to release a new console. It's obviously backwards compatible with all games as well so from a marketing standpoint its genius!

I already thought Deus Ex: HR was really annoying in taking control away from me (and it actually didn't happen THAT much... my main gripe is the Icarus I guess), I doubt I would be able to enjoy Thiaf.

76561198061377149.png

http://www.stuff.co....neaks-up-on-you

You can improve your character by donating money to the Queen of the Beggars?

Yeah, I believe that's for the Focus Ability upgrades (Dexterity, Marksman, etc.)

Thiaf is a lot of Assassin's Creed, Dishonored, Mirror's Edge, Thief: Deadly Shadows' weaker deviations from the LGS titles, Splinter Cell, and just more unlike the best of Thief than like it.

Yep...It's pretty much what some of us have been predicting for some time now.

Actually, TDS didn't have the contextual design restrictions or the inappropriate character upgrades...and had Russell and Brosius to greatly enhance the soundscape and overall intimacy.

Anyway, just recovering from a long week at NAMM...I'll probably post some of my thoughts about the recent news tomorrow... :blink:

Edited by Vae
  • Like 2