The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

i double dog dares you to try to find a broadhead arrow with builtin HD killcam

Man I hope we can turn that shit off... :blink:

That said the lack of free jumping in this game has put serious doubt as wither I would actually purchase it at launch time if at all! I absolutely f****ing hate it when game devs do this, its unbelievably f****ing infuriating. I've destroyed keyboards and mice for less, EIDOS/SU are you listening...???!!!

There is no bloody need to do this if the level designers did their job properly and this is coming from a fellow level designer.

What the hell is with the prices in those shots? A single broadhead arrow costs 15G??? That's the same cost as a "choke" (gas) arrow, and three times as much as a water arrow!

This seems to be the trend in every stealth game these days. Look at Hitman, Splinter Cell etc. In Blackilist a single gun could cost up to a million dollars!

It's ridiculous and terribly immersion breaking, but I think it again boils down to catering to the masses. Money is most often a measure of score, and people want to feel amazing so you have to hand out thousands and millions even for the average player. On the other hand stealth games have to be balanced so that you can't have unlimited resources, so what to do? Hike up the item prices.

Man I hope we can turn that shit off... :blink:

That said the lack of free jumping in this game has put serious doubt as wither I would actually purchase it at launch time if at all! I absolutely f****ing hate it when game devs do this, its unbelievably f****ing infuriating. I've destroyed keyboards and mice for less, EIDOS/SU are you listening...???!!!

There is no bloody need to do this if the level designers did their job properly and this is coming from a fellow level designer.

This. The contextual bullshit needs to go. You're not streamlining the experience, you're not widening the array of things a player you can do, you are absolutely RUINING player agency.

Example: Assassin's Creed IV. GUARDS SITTING ON RAILINGS ARE INVINCIBLE. I am NOT making this shit up. It's absolutely ridiculous how one-dimensional the combat is, even with 6 different enemy archetypes. Just because everything is contextual.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Well another feather in our TDM bow/cap -

http://www.reddit.co...re_of_garretts/

Fantastic. Everything that made the first thief games good are gone, jumping isn't allowed, QTE arrow rope and what's up with the puffs of smoke and stuff as he is stealing things? Trying too hard to pretend to be Dishonered? Gonna wait for a large sale on this game while I play a much better game, The Dark Mod for free.

there were puffs of smoke you could put in a thief 2 mod, but it usually represented opening a door that had not been opened in ages, and were getting a backdraft effect of opening a long forgotten door blowing the dust that had gathered at the bottom of the door. Have no idea why its on loot in nuThief.

the thing that bother's me the most is the clock tower, cos if it is a follow on from thief 3, then garrett knocked over the clock tower in that city and it distroyed the surrounding buildings when it fell on them, so it cant be the clock tower from that game, even though it seems to look like it is.

it distroyed the surrounding buildings when it fell on them

So, I guess...the sorrounding buidlings were destroyed, but the clocktower was fine? They just put it up straight again? Or maybe they realligned the city around it?

76561198061377149.png

It's a reboot. The clocktower probably never fell.

Reboots: Who needs continuity?

It still bugs me how they pick and choose what from previous Thief lore stays and what goes.

Me too. There's something very satisfying about aiming above an AI's head (who's far away) and losing sight of the arrow in flight, then seeing him flinch when he gets hit.

Did you notice that in the video when he fired the arrow it was aimed on the guys head from across perhaps 100 feet (I guess?) but he didn't have to give any lead for it? As in the arrow flew just as fast as a bullet. If AI is that far away, you gotta give a little lead so they end up walking into the arrow. If it was shot at his face while locked on to his face then the arrow would miss as the AI would've moved forward more by time the arrow got to the intended distance. I guess the bow is so powerful that it just shoots that fast.

The smoke comes from Garrett swiping loot because he's just so fast...please...I REALLY don't like this "examining the loot" thing that he does when he gets a nice score. The loot is only there (at least for me) to bang up a coin count so I can equip myself the best I can for the next mission while buying at the store. The only time I expect something from loot is if Garrett grabs a objective reaching piece of loot, and all I'd expect is a voice over.

This isn't Skyrim where we examine our inventory and each object has stats.

It's a reboot. The clocktower probably never fell.

Even if it is a reboot THEY should keep what happened in the past, and as far as I remember in TDS the tower was sabotaged by Garrett. We can always says that after years it was re-constructed bla bla bla, but on other hand for that they have to keep the Hammerites in the reboot.

Reboots: Who needs continuity?

It still bugs me how they pick and choose what from previous Thief lore stays and what goes.

We don't need continuity, I'm more for trilogies than anything else. Unless we are talking about a vast world lore than is impossible to do a story with an only character, in that case yes I don't mind more than a trilogy. Wicther series is a good example. I have hear they will finish Geralt story with the TW3, and will explore other areas of the series.

They did that my friend because they don't know what they are doing. For me Thief franchise is over doesn't need a continuation. Thiaf could have other name and they could say it was inspired in Thief, and probably many people could receive this game with more open arms.

Edited by Loa4ever

I wonder about the arrows... Are they hitscan now rather than projectiles? The killcam kinda implies it. Probably a mix of both.

76561198061377149.png

Even if it is a reboot THEY should keep what happened in the past,

The whole point of a reboot is so you don't have to keep what happened in the past. Although reviewers have said that the story is very confused about whether the game is a reboot or a continuation.

but on other hand for that they have to keep the Hammerites in the reboot.

They aren't.

Even if it is a reboot THEY should keep what happened in the past, and as far as I remember in TDS the tower was sabotaged by Garrett. We can always says that after years it was re-constructed bla bla bla, but on other hand for that they have to keep the Hammerites in the reboot.

I think you're misunderstanding what a reboot is. It doesn't just mean starting the series up again, it mean creating a completely new timeline. Pretty much anything goes here. There might be Hammerites, and there might not be. The old clocktower might be destroyed, restored, or not even exist at all. There could also be aliens and egyptians, because there's no real connection to the old Thief games. They can make Garrett out to be anyone they want.

Sounds like the game started out as a sequel in the early days of development. Erin was supposed to be the girl from the end of TDS. But as the project moved along, they decided they didn't want to play by the rules of the existing trilogy, and transformed it into a reboot.

Edited by brethren

I wonder why they didn't just invent a new franchise if they ended up changing to much.

The Rogue game would be about stealing and killing with headshots that give XP.

With no existing to appease old fans, they could have done pretty much anything. ;)

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I wonder why they didn't just invent a new franchise if they ended up changing to much.

They used the THIEF name, in order to exploit the notoriety of the brand...with the unethical intention of increasing sales, at the expense of the integrity of the franchise.

Edited by Vae

time stands still when the arrows are fired, they also fly in a straight line, no arc or gravity effect on the arrows, you wouldn't aim at the head, you would allow for npc travel, thats been mentioned by others, but you also allow for gravity and aim above the head, else the arrows should hit on the body or just miss cause they weren't aimed high enough, or in front.

its like trying to hit the furthest target in the shooting range in the training mission for 'the dark mod', you aim at the top of the wall at the back to hit the target, or get near it, if you aim straight at it, your arrows land in the ground in front of the target.

I wonder how the keyhole's work, they seem to be lacking anything for a key to actualy be held in place with for turning it, you get a close up look on them when you look through them. Actually thinking about it the keyholes don't match the mini-game you would get for using the focus to see inside the keyhole for using the picklocks.

Edited by stumpy

Well, I agree with many here that the game is not a remake of Thief and will never become a classic like the old game.

I won't bother with it because of the character, the console UI and especially those stupid hands that make the character appear to be sleep-walking all of the time.

This game is absolutely nothing like the original.

They are cashing in on the youth of today by using a classic game's fame as bait.

I doubt if ANY original Thief player will think this has anything to do with the old game.

The game would be much better if they had renamed it The Fashionable Rogue and not brought the Looking Glass original into it.

Hell! there are no Hammerites or burracks and no Benny and no swimming and from what I've seen so far no humor... and no reason to spend my money on leasing it.

• Like 1