The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

Here it is

Thief 101 Trailer / Launch Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A0bYLJlGbo

This thing plays like a parody of itself. I couldn't help but burst out laughing at 2:46 onwards

Use your blackjack for...

THUMP

... silent ...

CRACK

... stealthy...

SPLAT

... non-lethal takedowns ...

SMASH

Edited by kyyrma
  • Like 2

Here it is

Thief 101 Trailer / Launch Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A0bYLJlGbo

This thing plays like a parody of itself. I couldn't help but burst out laughing at 2:46 onwards

Use your blackjack for...

THUMP

... silent ...

CRACK

... stealthy...

SPLAT

... non-lethal takedowns ...

SMASH

Yup, that part had me laughing out loud.

They used the THIEF name, in order to exploit the notoriety of the brand...with the unethical intention of increasing sales, at the expense of the integrity of the franchise.

Well you can criticize a lot, but "unethical", really? I think that's going a tad too far. :) Even if it was so, do you think a software company acts "ethical" towards it's customers or userbase? And what is that even. Loads of questions.

My favorite blatant lie is @1:35 ..."In the world of Thiaf, nothing is out of bounds and nothing is out of reach"

Yep...ok. I also absolutely lOVe light blue highlight on eleventy billion items in the scene... very...um.... immersive.

Does it work on 3 screens? Does it do this, does it do that? I said I wasn't going to buy it but I probably am just because we're in an awful gaming dry spell right now waiting on Watch Dogs or whatever else.

I still want to give it a go and see all the things that are horrible and awful and maybe find a thing or two that interestingly work.

Hrm...

My favorite blatant lie is @1:35 ..."In the world of Thiaf, nothing is out of bounds and nothing is out of reach"

I talked to someone who has played the game, and he said his breaking point was when he realized he couldn't jump down from a ceiling beam if there was no enemy below him. Context sensitive!

Also, this annoyed me to no end. It's like they are ripping on over the top summer blockbusters, except they do it with a straight face:

post-30209-0-92366100-1391533330_thumb.png

But of course all this material is made by the marketing division, and even the devs must be cringing when watching this.

Edited by kyyrma

I talked to someone who has played the game, and he said his breaking point was when he realized he couldn't jump down from a ceiling beam if there was no enemy below him. Context sensitive!

Wow... that is seriously... wha?!?!! Ok...maybe not going to buy it.

Wow... that is seriously... wha?!?!! Ok...maybe not going to buy it.

To be fair he did mention a lot of good things as well, just not enough to outweigh the bad.

Nevertheless, I'm still going to give NuThief a chance. Wouldn't be first time marketing has made an okayish game seem worse than it really was, although I'm not all that optimistic.

yea i heard that "interactive movies" were supposed to be a thing a long while back. where viewers can vote on a multiple choice question of what happens next during the feature. its all filmed before-hand, and then the viewers choice gets played out for the rest of the movie/tv show/etc. they should do that. let game designers design the games. hell if they did that with tvshows, i might watch reruns.

Edited by ungoliant

Hahahaha! Break out the spreadsheet!

That's not an answer.

Sure, there have been statments from the devs that seem to be false (like how the game respects the DNA of the original) but those are 1. not advertising, and 2. not necessarily false (in this case, it might just be that I disagree with them about what the DNA actually is).

I can also recall some statements from community managers that have turned out to be false (like the "you can jump anywhere you think you can jump" stuff, but again, that's not advertising, and may have been said with the sincere expectation of it being true.

You can complain about the design decisions, the way the game is targeted at a casual audience, and even the lousy marketing/public relations, but I don't think you can reasonably accuse them of being unethical.

What exactly have they done that's false advertising?

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blog/Master-Thief-Movement

The system that we use detects edges in the environment geometry around Garrett. It figures out whether he can jump, climb (or whatever the situation might call for), simply based on the edges within reach that are being detected around you. There are no pre-defined hot spots; it’s handled in real time. Whatever you would logically consider an edge can be interacted with.

Won't be able to judge until i the game is out, but some previews mentioned problems with "free" movement and that you actually can't climb every edge within Garretts reach.

I specifically referenced that example. We have no particular reason to think that's false...it could indeed be how the system works, but it just doesn't work very well. Or it has bugs, or it was incomplete, or whatever.

If your point is that some people working at EM have said things during development that haven't turned out to be true, that's one thing. I'm sure I said things during the course of TDM development that turned out not to be true by the end. But that's not the same thing as a company engaging in illegal false advertising.

False advertisement? No... Leading on certain features are better than they apparently are? Perhaps (we have to wait and play the game to see)

What that guy was talking about in regards to falling down from the roof was hopefully a bug. If it really is so that you cannot jump down from a beam unless a guard is underneath well I guess we will have problems.

There's so many things like that which could go one way or the other, when it comes out i'm sure we will see plenty of people trying to break the game and it will be interesting to see what mods comes out of this game.

Also the game has gone gold now and considering we have 3 weeks until release there might even be a day 1 patch too.