The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

assassin's creed also had that focus ability, you turn it on and it shows you who your current target is in bright gold, that stays that way even if you turn it off and you can still see your target through buildings. It also shows you places you can hide in in bright hilight, although they don't stay hilighted when you turn it off. But from whats been seen nuThief is just an assassin's creed clone, all the cutscene's (cutscene's that put you back in the world where you didn't start the cutscene from in AC, you can be in the middle of the jungle stealth killed your target, cutscene, when control comes back to the player, you are on the coast, or on your ship and you can't loot the corpse you just killed.) make it look like it is, the camera going off to show you where the target is, thats from AC, the focus from AC, cutscenes whenever they can from AC, kill cam on ammo from AC (but only when you get a critical hit kill).

Edited by stumpy

The earlier and most addictive arcade games of my childhood had no software, yet, hahaha.

Anyway, back to the bizarre lies and cluelessness -- http://www.polygon.c...arretts-arsenal :

"Fans of the original Thief will be relieved to find the ingredients that made it one of the most respected franchises in the industry," Roy wrote. "The game doesn't take gamers for idiots, it's far from easy, and you can complete it without killing a single enemy or even being seen. But it is not only designed with long-time fans of the series in mind.

"We respect players," he added. "I know it sounds like empty pandering, but we really do take it to heart. We've given you a huge amount of options to customize your experience to enable you to play exactly as you prefer. You want the most complete immersion possible? We let you remove any clutter from the screen: the interface, the reticle, any visual indicator that isn't part of the game world."

What are you talking about? Did you even watch the video I posted a page ago? You CAN turn almost everything off, you can make this game insanely hard!

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yes, again saying EM is lying is just not accurate. It's actually irresponsible.

If they say you can go through the entire game without killing someone, and you can't, that's a pretty blatant lie. Or if they, for instance, say you can remove the lightgem and you can't, same thing.

But if they say things like "it's far from easy" or "it's designed with long-time fans in mind" or "we respect players" - those statement are all completely subjective. You may not agree with them, but that doesn't mean they don't believe what they're saying.

Edited by brethren

...So you were saying? Both trailers are trying to appeal to gaming audiences, which also includes lethal gamplay and crap. They are both similar! The only difference is that Thief 4 is much more modern and cinematic with all those flashy cutscenes.

This has already been brought up and is a false argument. Thief 1 was advertised this way because stealth games were very few and far between at the time, because Eidos did not know how to market such a strange game, and also because the market was flooded with first person shooters. Remember 1993 to 1998. Quake was released two years prior and it (rightfully) dominated the market, and games like Half-Life and Unreal were about to get released.

Stealth games are very common nowadays so Eidos Montreal has no excuses.

• Like 2

and the price is coming down to the point where it might be worth a punt http://www.cdkeys.co...pc-cd-key-steam £15.75

Plus if you like their facebook page you get another 5% discount... Also this pre-order ACTUALLY includes the bank heist DLC so it's a great deal!

I'm surprised this thread is still alive. Everything that can be speculated on has been, and everything that can be extrapolated from coverage has been, and has been discussed.

Schrödinger's Sequel is good/bad until it's released!

I'm still pissed that they didn't call the new Xbox an XBOX Infinity.... But I will never own one anyway and the name is the least of its worries. As for the Thief names I think people call it that to differentiate from the current thief we already have (Thief 1998) but I have seen it called plenty of different things.

Thief

Thi4f

Thiaf

Thief 4

Teef

Glaucoma simulator

nuThief

Etc etc

There are two things I'm excited about for the release of nuthief. One is the hope that lots of casual gamers will be turned onto stealth, and a subset of those will want to try TDM. The other is starting an "ideas we should steal from nuThief" thread.

• Like 2

There are two things I'm excited about for the release of nuthief. One is the hope that lots of casual gamers will be turned onto stealth, and a subset of those will want to try TDM. The other is starting an "ideas we should steal from nuThief" thread.

One thing I would LOVE from Thief is the full body awareness. It sucks looking down and realizing you're just a camera floating everywhere

Edited by Goldwell

As for the Thief names I think people call it that to differentiate from the current thief we already have (Thief 1998)

Which is usually referred to as Thief 1, TDP, or Thief Gold in its gold version. Thiaf sounds as if you would want to ridicule it, sorry if that's not the case. At least it sounds very stupid, which is most probably also the reason why Eidos dropped the name. Why not just call it by its real name, which is Thief. *shrugs* Noone is taking anything away from the classic games.

Which is usually referred to as Thief 1, TDP, or Thief Gold in its gold version. Thiaf sounds as if you would want to ridicule it, sorry if that's not the case. At least it sounds very stupid, which is most probably also the reason why Eidos dropped the name. Why not just call it by its real name, which is Thief. *shrugs* Noone is taking anything away from the classic games.

Well I name them as Thief Gold, Thief 2, Thief 3 and Thief 2014. I think it's silly to call it other names too but each to their own.

Edited by Goldwell

I think its really obnoxious how remakes like to pick the name of the original and not differentiate from it somehow. I mean would you be OK with me writing a re-imagination of Lord of the Rings, called Lord of the Rings, which would soon be available in bookstores everywhere while the original would be slowly taken out of circulation? The problem is, if younger generations go looking for information about Thief these days, they might actually think there are no more games than the one coming out now.

Don't believe it? I've talked to lot of kids who think Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the only game in its series.

• Like 1

As long as you own the rights, you can make a Mickey Mouse cartoon out of Lord of the Rings. :P And as you said, the target audience of Thief (the new one) won't give a damn anyway, because they mostly won't even know the original series. There's nothing you can do about that. (well, you can complain, but what would that change) I doubt that J.R.R. Tolkien would have been ok with everything in Jackson's LOTR films.

The problem is, if younger generations go looking for information about Thief these days, they might actually think there are no more games than the one coming out now.

Well, the first thing they'd find on Google is the Wikipedia entry, which has all the infos.

Edited by chk772

How comes it's still being written like that? Its name is Thief for a year now or so. And actually, it was never Thiaf, it used to be Thi4f if then.

Because it's been called Thi4f in an attempt to render the mundane title all trendy and whatnot. Using numbers in titles has been done, and people do it in personalized registration plates too. In that numbers-letters translation, 3 = 'e' and 4= 'a'. So they borked the title and essentially called it Thiaf. It's emblematic of their attempts to bring it up to the present day market while just messing it up along the way. Thiaf is, as a result, a pretty apt name for it.

Seems to me like nitpicking. It's just a letter in the title.

It was a rather uninformed use of 'leet speak' in the title. In a professional production, I would expect that they would wish to put their best foot forward...regardless of how minor or trivial the announcement logo may seem. There are rules to using leet just like there are rules for using English, French or any other form of communication. It was used incorrectly, people pointed it out. It's not nitpicking, it's simply pointing out that they did it wrong and it looked silly.

• Like 1