The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

The whole point of a reboot is so you don't have to keep what happened in the past.
I think you're misunderstanding what a reboot is. It doesn't just mean starting the series up again, it mean creating a completely new timeline

But can't be said a reboot is also similar to a re-imagining? I may be wrong on this, just asking to be sure.

I wonder why they didn't just invent a new franchise if they ended up changing to much.

The Rogue game would be about stealing and killing with headshots that give XP.

With no existing to appease old fans, they could have done pretty much anything.

That's why I said back there this :) : " Thiaf could have other name and they could say it was inspired in Thief, and probably many people could receive this game with more open arm.

i got bored halfway through that video, wishing it would end.

You are not the only one, I also got that wish.

Glaucoma simulator

Lool... never hear of that :).

Holy hell AluminumHaste that's very nice!

Also Fen looks nothing like how I imagined (still looking badassthough) and damn his voice is incredible!

Edited by Goldwell

No story really. He had a decent monitor before, it died and he was using an ancient 4:3 ratio TN panel that had horrible light bleed.

Nobody should have to use that to play TDM and dark games like Thief, so I pestered him until he gave me his address and sent him the new monitor, that's it.

I also hoped that he would enjoy TDM more if he could see it the way it was meant to be seen.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

It is not like the original for umpteen different reasons and I doubt I'll ever play it for some of those reasons...

BUT!

...having said that I'd like to point out that the graphics are amazing and Im sure the game will fit right in with millions of 'new' players and some of the original players who don't mind and will enjoy the new methods of play.

Eidos has no choice but to fit the game to todays players or it would fail and they would lose money.

Very few people today have the desire to spend hours crouching in a darkened fireplace and slowly sneaking as they pass a guard.

It's more rush, hurry, grap and run.

Old Thief games are still playable and with TDM and missions there is plenty of 'old tyme' playing to do.

• Like 1

Eidos has no choice but to fit the game to todays players or it would fail and they would lose money.

This is incorrect...EM could have decided to lower their budget with this title, and market it to a relatively smaller audience. If they determined that this would not work with their business strategy, they could have chosen to sell the rights and create a new IP or chosen another, more appropriate title, to utilize their diametrically principled, non-Thief-like design philosophy.

Very few people today have the desire to spend hours crouching in a darkened fireplace and slowly sneaking as they pass a guard.

There are more than you think...they just aren't being served by the current main-stream trends.

Old Thief games are still playable and with TDM and missions there is plenty of 'old tyme' playing to do.

Except the problem is, the diminished cultural impact...EM has missed a huge opportunity to be a trend-setter, or at least in a great way, to help sustain and proliferate a more advanced genetic strain of virtual experience.

Edited by Vae
  • Like 3

Yeah, they have the IP and brilliant examples of how it should be done with Thief 1 and 2.

I just think they lack the vision to do it properly, or perhaps just the creativity. It's sad really, especially as we're posting here - the last true bastion of hardcore stealth lovers.

I'll tell you what amazes me - that no studio (afaik) that is doing a reboot/remake makes a concerted effort to engage with the fans and really ask them what they want. I know EM went to TTLG a little bit and EM forums a little bit, but apart from removing stuff due to clear backlashes (to the XP, the QTEs and the 3rd person, which we should give them credit for) they didn't really engage.

Imagine if they'd got a couple of people to come here and really ask what makes Thief!

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

I would love to see a Thief style kickstarter.

But it's going to be interesting how new comers to the series react when they find out and play T1/2/3/TDM especially how they react towards TDM and it would be very exciting if we get some new mappers from all this as well :)

I would love to see a Thief style kickstarter.

But it's going to be interesting how new comers to the series react when they find out and play T1/2/3/TDM especially how they react towards TDM and it would be very exciting if we get some new mappers from all this as well :)

That's part of the reason I'm excited for this reboot. Even if it doesn't turn out as good as it's predecessor, it's bringing the franchise to a new generation and allowing newcomers to experience atleast a glimpse of what makes the series special, so they'll be more willing to try out the previous games and TDM. The best thing that can happen with this reboot is giving the Thief franchise more exposure. Despite other issues people may have, I don't think anyone can complain about that.

• Like 1

New footage thats aimed at "old school" Thief fans...Very interesting ... Also they have REALLY toned the shroud down... I actually sort of don't mind the shroud here :-O

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/02/11/how-to-play-thief-in-old-school-mode

The writing is still rubbish, as well as the voice acting.

I've never cringed harder.

New footage thats aimed at "old school" Thief fans...Very interesting .

I notice that the KOs are now "takedown" animations even in first person. It's not you swinging the blackjack and aiming properly, it's "press X to takedown" at which point Garrett grabs the guard's head, wrenches his kneck, or whatever else the computer decides you should do as part of your KO.

I notice that the KOs are now "takedown" animations even in first person. It's not you swinging the blackjack and aiming properly, it's "press X to takedown" at which point Garrett grabs the guard's head, wrenches his kneck, or whatever else the computer decides you should do as part of your KO.

So now I can't even properly blackjack a guard myself without the game assisting me?

Damn, that's a real shame.

Well the more they tone it down the more I like the game but at the end of the day they are fixing a problem which shouldn't even be there in the first place :/

There is a button marked "melee" on the keyboard layout, so I'm hoping that means you can still do a manual blackjack.

But there is no incentive to do so if you can do a perfect "takedown" by just pressing one button.

Edited by Nacht7

I read preview from a guy who apparently swung and missed a blackjack swing during his playthrough.

http://www.edge-onli...nre-originator/

"A guard patrols an upstairs room containing drawers, cabinets and a locked safe stocked with valuables. We attempt to knock him unconscious with our blackjack after sneaking around a cabinet to get behind him, but miss the swing"

So it does seem like timing and aiming is still required.

Edited by bjshepp
  • Like 1

Interesting. I don't even quite understand what that means. If that company did "modelling of all 3d assets", does that mean they created the Garrett model??