The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

Someone's livestreaming the final game. I'm sure it'll be pulled soon.

Edit: And it's gone.

Let's just say I'm happy I didn't pre-order.

I watched some twitch feed last night. Obviously spoilers, spoilers, spoilers so anyone actually interested in NuThief really shouldn't... but umm yeah. It's like Deadly Shadows all over again. If you went now and watched a youtube of someone playing the city hub in 10 year old TDS with the dodgy AI, the bugs, voice acting that makes you cringe and the general trivialness of it all... That's pretty much the exact same experience. There's some nice touches now and then, some of it's good (I saw a perfectly nice cutscence), but the overall impression is just 'wow - that's an awful lot of bad'.

I wasn't expecting great things. But I was expecting an okay game (even if not an okay Thief game, if you see what I mean). I have to say I was dissapointed.

On a bad day one might grumble that The Dark Mod has its rough edges and its amateurish bits. But it's not just closer to the original Thief games. TDM is genuinely a more polished/professional/rounded product than what I watched last night.

But maybe watching an hour or two of twitch feed doesn't do the game justice.

Edited by jay pettitt

Well kids Thief has leaked and is floating around the internet now. Pisses me off that as a paying customer I have to wait a week but whatever. I'm sure we will hear more opinions about the game now.

I watched a few livestreams, but they were all being played on easy mode with all the HUD elements enabled and people spamming focus mode and swoop every five seconds. The players had no idea where they were going half the time despite having a waypoint marker and a fucking mini map. I couldn't get a feel for the game with all the stupidity that was taking place, so I just gave up watching.

Edited by bjshepp

I watched some twitch feed last night. Obviously spoilers, spoilers, spoilers so anyone actually interested in NuThief really shouldn't... but umm yeah. It's like Deadly Shadows all over again. If you went now and watched a youtube of someone playing the city hub in 10 year old TDS with the dodgy AI, the bugs, voice acting that makes you cringe and the general trivialness of it all... That's pretty much the exact same experience. There's some nice touches now and then, some of it's good (I saw a perfectly nice cutscence), but the overall impression is just 'wow - that's an awful lot of bad'.

It looks rushed. There's so many loading screens! All the hubs are crazy tiny, far more so than even Deadly Shadows. Players were having tons of trouble discerning what was climbable or not. If they weren't in the specific place outlined by the designers they would run a wall or up against the balustrade.

After watching a few streams last night, I would be shocked if this isn't a mini-Aliens: Colonial Marines. It's not that bad, but it's miles away from Human Revolution. A few reviewers on Twitter have been obliquely referencing how disappointed they are with Thief.

Here's the first few missions without commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/user/365GamerMan/videos

Here's some Assassin's Creed-style climbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN6m8pWhfjQ

The inconsistent presentation drives me nuts. Every few minutes the camera flies out of Garrett's head to point out an obvious destination or object of interest. It ruins any hope of immersion.

watched some of the stream. i actually witnessed the guy escape a chase when he got busted by running to a bluefog-esque loading screen to another zone. *sigh*. also the super-cool contextual audio we were supposed to be treated to is garbage. its some background ambient, and when you get busted, queue up the dubstep. thats it. it doesn't even transition well at all.