The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

Well that didn't last long. Finally got the game and totally glitchy. There's letters missing in the main menu options, when I ran the benchmark half the sounds were missing and objects didn't always appear. For example some guards were clearly carrying crossbows, but there was nothing in their hands.

Back to tomb raider and it's horrible QTEs.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

on that official video of the first chapter 'lockdown' you can see the drawers in the desk where the money register/till is in the jewlery shop, constantly pop in and out of existance, as you crawl around it.

either the drawers are too big for the desk model, or the textures normals are facing the wrong way, or they're a draw distance cull thats really short.

Coolness is a disease of our times, I think. Everything has to be cool, whatever that means. In a world where game making is a big profitting industry, games like thief are expected to be an exception. Same thing goes for the movies. You need a story, or an idea, then, the way to make it happen. They have the means to make it, but they are out of ideas. They don't like the original thief, or at least, if the do, they're not sure why they liked it, maybe they just think it's cooool. So, why don't make it a little more cool by adding a lot of crap to it. You could clearly see that when they changed the rope arrows for the climbing boots in T3. It's really useless to expect them to make a new and better thief, because their job is making money, not art, not original stuff. The fact that thief have been both, is a real miracle.

That's my humble opinion.

• Like 3

It's a fallacy to say that making something good and making money can't be done at the same time.

I can't wait to hear some of the stories come out about the office politics...I'm pretty sure that, plus a hard deadline they weren't ready to meet, are what really sunk the game.

Apparently Stephane Roy was on talk radio in my city. That would mark the first time I've ever heard of a video game being discussed on talk radio.

http://www.640toronto.com/2014/02/24/12664/

The headline makes me laugh my ass off:

"Thief Project Director Says the Game Isn’t Perfect But it’s Still Extremely Fun!"

Well, at least he's not desperately pretending everything is perfect just before launch to prevent pre-order cancellations or anything, gotta give him that.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

It's a fallacy to say that making something good and making money can't be done at the same time.

Making something good and making money are indeed not necessarily exclusive, but doing the one does also not have anything to do with doing the other. He said we shouldn't expect them to make art, not that it's impossible for them to ever create something good.

76561198061377149.png

I'm pretty sure the cancellation period ended before that interview was posted.

He said we shouldn't expect them to make art, not that it's impossible for them to ever create something good.

Well, if you want to be precise, he said it's "useless to expect them to make a new and better thief, because their job is making money".

That implies that making money excludes the possibility of making a new and better thief, which I disagree with.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the cancellation period ended before that interview was posted.

Unless I read the article wrong, Steam *should* now allow you to cancel *I believe* any preorder that hasn't been delivered straight from the client (instead of by contacting support), with the downside being the funds are now sent to your Steam Wallet, instead of as a cash refund. Which probably isn't an issue if you intend to buy something later on steam, but might be if you're a one title here and one title there kinda gamer.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Please continue your report... B)

• Like 3

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved