The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

I agree with AluminumHaste, the game has a shitload of flaws but the length of loading times certainly isn't one.

I mean even Xbone and PeasantBox 4 have only 15-30 second loading times.

• Like 1

Also did anyone else notice that the way the visual prompts are setup is completely screwy? I mean I don't mind if the first time you walk upto a window and it says "press and hold X button then tap repeatedly" that to me is fine but it seems to be all or nothing in the settings.

Either you have a prompt over every single thing you do, every time you move near a door, move near loot anything it pops up and tells you what to do OR there is nothing at all (even for the first time you do something) and you are just left guessing what the heck do I do now?

Leave them on till you finish the tutorial level and then turn it off?

Any idea why they went with loading zones for Thiaf, instead of streaming? Serious memory budget constraints? It sure ain't memory issues from audio.

Remember this game was designed with last-gen consoles in mind, so everything was built for this smallest common denominator. You can always add high-res textures, objects and clutter to a map, but you will hardly change the layout of the whole map.

Personally, I must say, that after watching quite a lot of reviews I will refrain from buying it at a price above 5 EUR. And even then I will check first if there's any news on the modding front. Judging from reviews, I would sorely miss real free-roaming, climbing up, jumping over and shooting rope-arrows. I hope that fans will find a way to add that to the game, even if it means you get to see broken geometry.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Leave them on till you finish the tutorial level and then turn it off?

They don't show all the prompts needed in the tutorial level. They should have just made it so that each time you encounter a new thing regardless of whether that setting is on or not it shows a prompt the first couple of times then goes away. Most other games do this and its not too bad.

I'm not the one making extra ordinary claims so the burden of proof isn't on me, it's on them.

You know what this thread reminds me of? The circle jerk hate threads about the DarkMod.

We still get bullshit claims about TDM mechanics in the internet, from people claiming that blackjacking is impossible to the devs straight up lying. There was a thread on some forum where a well known poster said that the sneaking part the sitting guard was impossible and then claimed that the DarkMod devs were lying about it. He shut up after I posted 2 videos showing he was full of shit, but there were people agreeing with him, even though they knew he was lying.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Anyone running this off SSD for load time comparison?

Also, it appears the game works on three monitors natively and there is a FOV slider but from this vid it looks like a fairly claustrophobic view.

Also, it appears this guy is running an SSD because the load time is pretty quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssW4Q5Y_goc

Edited by Lux

At least the shroud thingy pulls back enough that it isn't tag teaming with the hands to blot out a huge section of the screen.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Anyone running this off SSD for load time comparison?

Also, it appears the game works on three monitors natively and there is a FOV slider but from this vid it looks like a fairly claustrophobic view.

Also, it appears this guy is running an SSD because the load time is pretty quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssW4Q5Y_goc

That's close to the loading times I get on my regular HDD, a 3TB Seagate.

At least the shroud thingy pulls back enough that it isn't tag teaming with the hands to blot out a huge section of the screen.

While I had my doubts about the shroud, it would actually be just fine if it weren't animated. Now every time you turn your head, the shroud sort of rotates counter-clockwise. It's really distracting.

How many of these revewers has an SSD if at all..?

No idea. But it makes it unlikely that people are just lying.

I have an SSD but only windows is installed on it. All of my games including Thief were installed on my regular HDD. Maybe thats why my loading times are fast but I would have thought Thief would have needed to be on the SSD to get the speed increase.

Maybe it's the cluttered harddrive. With NTFS, fragmentation is supposed to be less of a problem than with FAT(32), but still I can imagine that a well-used HDD can slow things down. Also, it sure won't help if you have only one HDD in your system.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Hmmm, perhaps. However I haven't defragmented this hard drive once since I got it, and it's only got 85 GB free on the primary partition that Thief sits on.

Also how are people finishing this game so fast? I'm currently sitting at 7 hours and am only on Chapter 2. Enjoying this game so far for what it is, but it's not a Thief game. EM really should have went with a different and new IP.