The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

You can defrag any hard drive, not sure what you mean.

Also I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of CPU cores this game uses, it's usually at over 70% on all 4 cores and sometimes right after loading, it will even you the hyper threaded cores too.

Perhaps the issue with some people is that they are using an ancient core2duo?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

If a drive is too full, defragmentation can be tricky to accomplish since defrag software needs a certain amount of free space in order to work properly. The most fool-proof, guranteed way to defrag a drive is to copy the contents to another drive (external HDD say), format the original drive then copy it back. Works regardless of how much free space you've got, but doesn't work with a system drive for obvious reasons.

As for loading times, I'm reminded of when Deus Ex: Human Revolution was first released. Loading times were extremely long if vertical sync was enabled, but sped up quite a bit when vsync was disabled. A patch fixed the issue, but it's definitely not unknown for a game to have horrendous load times on reasonable hardware through no fault of the user.

Ok, I'm running the game now, and I don't find the loading screens too long. About a minute for the longest one, I think.

But the game performance is complete crap on my system, which is good enough to run most TDM missions without problems. In order to get just poor framerates (not even average ones), I've had to turn off all the visual goodies and play at a lower resolution than normal, and everything looks like crap. There is so much fog popping around on the textures that I can't even tell which patches of floor are lit or not. Something will look like it's lit from a few steps away, and when I step up to it it suddenly goes dark, or vice versa. At first I thought things were highlighting, but I think it's actually the fog messing with the textures. Combine that with the stupid flashing of the shroud and I the result is that I completely can't read the environment.

I haven't even got through the tutorial mission yet, but I'm finding the movement _incredibly_ taxing. I thought TDS was clunky, but this is worse. You've got the same momentary delay as your body orients itself to do what you want it to do, and you frequently lose control as you're frozen by cut-scenes or animations taking over. I find myself constantly wanting to lean and not being able to do it. And now I seem to be stuck somewhere where I'm apparently being forced to use "swoop" even though I wasn't planning on assigning a key to it.

Part of me thinks I'm being too harsh and I just need to get use to it, but I didn't have this problem with Dishonored (nor did I have problems running the game with decent graphics settings).

Don't forget that this game has dynamic gamma. When you go into a dark area your eyes "adjust" and it gets lighter. When you are in open light shadows look almost black. It takes some getting used to.

Also what are your system specs?

I don't think you are being too harsh at all, as a Thief game it falls apart. As a normal game it's decent.

Good luck, Spring...You'll get used to the movement, and that will help...yet, the inherent limitations to the movement capability will never be overcome.

...and that fucking flashing shroud will never cease to annoy.

Plugging back into NuVerse...see you later.

• Like 1

Not even close. I can't even tell what paintings are of half the time, they're so blurry. They look like blobs. It's like I'm at 640x480 or something. And there's a section of road I'm supposed to dash across, and I can't even tell if it's lit or not, because the brightness changes as I move up to it. I'll post more details tomorrow.

Don't forget that this game has dynamic gamma. When you go into a dark area your eyes "adjust" and it gets lighter. When you are in open light shadows look almost black. It takes some getting used to.

Actually, we can also do that in TDM. :)

And not going to lie, I like those screenshots. Too bad there is no game behind them.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Check your option, my defaul resolution was set really low, but after turning everything on high, the game looks very good. And its fun to play, after you get used to some strange restrictions, like not beeing able to jump etc..

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

After all the negativeness on this pinnacle of next-gen gaming that is called thief, i think it's time for a bit of comedy.

Get your speed upgrade ready! Get your bow upgrade ready! And prepare to face the boss in hand to hand combat. Tip: aim for the knees. If you do it right you get rewarded with a nice zombie level. Tip: if you have difficulty locating these foul enemies just make sure to activate the 'thief vision' or whatever it's called. Sorry i cannot write anymore, still laughing about this game and that people actually pay top dollar to play this :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Grubber

By the way, what can you do with a hard drive that cannot be defragmented, where the software won't let the user even try?

You need to generally keep ~10% drive space free always. If you don't you're going to get constantly nagged by Windows about "Drive is full".

If you don't have 10% drive space free you need to A) Buy a larger hard drive or B ) Get rid of/uninstall some things that you're not using anymore.

If you exceed that limit then it used to be in Windows XP that the Defrag utility would ask the user first to do drive clean-up prior to Defrag. In Windows 7 you can run the Drive clean-up utility which can be accessed by link.

Like others have stated, defrag runs automatically in Windows 7/8 on its own schedule unless you alter it or turn it off for certain drives so users aren't backed in to the "don't have enough drive space free" corner.

Edited by Lux

Check your option, my defaul resolution was set really low, but after turning everything on high, the game looks very good.

I'm sure it does. But I'm already only getting an average of 4FPS on the benchmark with the settings I have now. Although after thinking about it more, something must be wrong, because my textures are set at "normal", yet I literally couldn't tell that the painting on the wall when I first start was a person. It just looked like a white blob.

I'll post some screenshots when I get home from work.

I'm sure it does. But I'm already only getting an average of 4FPS on the benchmark with the settings I have now. Although after thinking about it more, something must be wrong, because my textures are set at "normal", yet I literally couldn't tell that the painting on the wall when I first start was a person. It just looked like a white blob.

I'll post some screenshots when I get home from work.

What kind of system are you running this on?

@Springheel -- How are you on the games required/recommended hardware list? I don't see anywhere you've noted what hardware you're running the game on or at what resolution you're running it. (in this thread or the System Config thread or wki).

ninja'd! AH can field it.

EDIT: @Springheel -- run the game with the task manager running and check if your CPU is at 99%?

Edited by Lux

On another note looking at the EM Thief boards, is anyone here that's playing the game having these issues with sound?

http://forums.eidosg...ad.php?t=141669

http://forums.eidosg...469#post1989469

If so, what platform are you playing on, what are you listening to the game on, and how are your speakers configured? (e.g. 5.1/7.1/stereo)

Edited by Lux

Unholy shit, what is with all of those "upgrades" in the video link above? Did EM not realize that the "bow upgrade" gag was mockery? How clueless are these guys? What happened to achieving success in Thief based on your skill and experience, rather than purchased upgrades? WTF?

*HEAD EXPLODES*

Edit: Did that seriously say "FINISH HIM"?? (1:18)

*HEAD EXPLODES AGAIN; FATALITY*

Edited by SneaksieDave

Springheel if you're hating the game now then it's going to get much worse. For me the opening mission and the lockdown mission (the first two) were the best in the game... after that it's a very slippery down hill ride.

Edited by Goldwell

On another note looking at the EM Thief boards, is anyone here that's playing the game having these issues with sound?

http://forums.eidosg...ad.php?t=141669

http://forums.eidosg...469#post1989469

If so, what platform are you playing on, what are you listening to the game on, and how are your speakers configured? (e.g. 5.1/7.1/stereo)

Similar but not to the extent they are talking about. Using headphones set up for stereo, 24bit, 192khz to my X3 DAC, into Sennheiser HD595s. And yeah, sometimes conversations carry like you are in the room with people, and sometimes they just cut off like they disappeared.