The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

if you're very close to an AI this is like an auto-bust unless you crouch, or hold the sneak button before grabbing the loot. the only other way around it is to just make sure you are within actual grabbing distance.

Haha, I was in the jewelery shop and I hid in a cabinet in the room with the guard walking around those cases.... He passed me and I exited the cabinet and it pushed me in to the guard and pushed the guard like 4 feet from me and he was unaware of it.... lol

I tryed to do a takedown (crap knockout) on a guard that was facing me, he was close enough to walk into me, but cause I was whacking the 'q' button, he ignored me, and turned around so he could be beaten to an inch of his life. There's no skill in this its a set animation the AI have to stick to it.

Oh come on, it's not that bad. Also, corporations aren't people.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Looking Glass is spinning in its grave.

Yes, I'm sure that the guys from LGS are just going nuts because they're still so fixated with the games they made a decade ago. I bet it's all they think about. Wouldn't it be crazy if, say, Stephen Russell found out about the game and people's distaste for it and reacted amicably but ultimately didn't care?

So in other words while it is subjective, LGS isn't spinning in the grave it doesn't have, gotcha.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Looking Glass is dead, AB, not "the guys from LGS". Big difference.

Is that some inverse "ideas do not bleed" thinking? Because, well... I was just playing a game, and it still seems to be working now that Thief 4 has come out, hasn't been deleted by its release. And, well, you're not going to believe this, but it seems to say something at the top of the menu screen.

7gF1j.jpg

Edited by Airship Ballet

Maybe I missed your point in the fog of sarcasm, but how does owning a game from a company that no longer exists demonstrate that they aren't "dead"?

Is this a Wrath of Khan, "they're not dead as long as we remember them" moment?

Maybe I missed your point in the fog of sarcasm, but how does owning a game from a company that no longer exists demonstrate that they aren't "dead"?

Is this a Wrath of Khan, "they're not dead as long as we remember them" moment?

Well yeah, it is, because it doesn't matter a teeny, tiny bit if the company is no longer producing games. If they've produced something that's still playable, enjoyable and memorable, and is having games and mods made after it a few decades later, it's far from dead in my eyes. By that manner of thinking, a game is dead the moment it stops being supported. I'm not grieving The Metal Age, I'm enjoying the hell out of it all over again because I can, because it's right there in my Steam library. I think dead's just the wrong word to use. It implies that it still has nothing going for it, that there's nothing for it but to stick it in the ground and try to forget about it.

So long as it's alive, it doesn't have a grave to roll in. I fail to see how this new game coming out now does anything to tarnish the older games. That's like being put off your food because somebody across the restaurant is chewing with their mouth open, then asking the waiter to take your food back through no fault of its own.

On a different note, the guys who made it aren't deities, they're sensible people who will be happy for what they've done, and won't be tearing their hair out looking at this game that's just come out and thinking "Oh God, everything I ever worked for is ruined!" They have no grave to roll in and, if they did, they wouldn't be rolling in it.

Edited by Airship Ballet

I'm sure the devs are endlessly grateful for the opportunity to go through their studies with a million and one wonderful ideas and end up having to work to a specification.

Yea, who would ever have expected that from a AAA outfit that makes a habit of boasting about just how AAA it is?

The Internet is all about taking innocent comments and blowing them up into a philosophical discussion. There's a reason I don't bother with most forums anymore.

An innocent comment in a topic called "Thief 4 is trash" that was converted to an echo chamber, right? I don't see any here, but what's wrong with philosophy aside from existential fear? =P

Edited by Airship Ballet

also, am I the only one bothered by the mind-numbingly stupid quicksave/quickload "feature" that makes quickload load the last save created? like checkpoint saves, new area saves, new chapter saves etc, and then somehow dividing saveslots to each have their own manual and autosaves, along with a separate slot devoted to autosaves that somehow have manual saves inside them as well?! AND there is no actual quick-save!! they are all just listed as "manual save". what the literal fuck is wrong with these people.

I haven't played Thief 4, but what you describe sounds exactly like what they did with Far Cry 3. In that game you can perform a "manual save" via a menu save option or a function key, but in reality all it's doing is saving the last checkpoint and NOT a literal save of your actual point in the game as you'd expect. This got a bit confusing until I realised what was happening, and really there's no point of the save function then since checkpoints are saved automatically anyway and if you die you just go back to them. If you quit, the last checkpoint is loaded, so manual saves are pointless.

• Like 1

You used to be able to tell so much about a person by the way they named all their saves on ye olde RPGs. There was the one who methodically named them as per the situation, the one who tried to start that and then just appended a number to the now-redundant name and the final person who essentially wrote scat lyrics.

An innocent comment in a topic called "Thief 4 is trash" that was converted to an echo chamber, right? I don't see any here, but what's wrong with philosophy aside from existential fear? =P

Hehe. Yes well, there's nothing really wrong with discussion about philosophy. The issue is that when someone posts a comment about how a company of a former series of games might be "spinning in their grave", I doubt they were expecting to be jumped on. They probably were only try to argue that Looking Glass' legacy had been damaged by a substandard successor made by another developer (in their opinion of course). The OP didn't expect a reaction like yours though, which to be fair is quite tame compared to other forums.

I doubt they were expecting to be jumped on.

Eh, it was bait if anything. There are a few who do it on purpose, and never really offer any sort of counter-point but instead dismiss anybody who doesn't agree with them. There's been many a time where they've commented on a status or thread and got no response, and so deleted the status and pasted it again so it reappears at the top. Then they delete it if nobody pays them notice. They just bolster one another and condescend everybody else, pretending what they're doing is for our own good. I'm not allowed to call it a circle-jerk though.

It's not a case of thinking Thi4f is a marvel of a game, but really just judging it on its own merits, considering its overall poor quality and its few redeeming features that made it worth playing for me. The aforementioned cultists have been bashing it for months already, and won't hear anything that isn't negative, which includes unbiased observation. I've been accused of everything from supporting AAA dilution to being a nail in Looking Glass' coffin for weighing up the good and the bad.

Still, I tend to answer because it starts off actual discussion, which is what I enjoy! And of course it's tame; it's hardly the most pressing issue in the world.

Edited by Airship Ballet

but really just judging it on its own merits

Unfortunately though, it can't and won't be judged on its own merits. It's got a set of previous games to be compared to (and it will). It's like when Deus Ex: Invisible War came out; it got bashed because compared to the original Deus Ex it was mostly trash, but on its own without any legacy to consider it's probably OK (Human Revolution was a much better game though, regardless of whether it was compared or not). You can try judging it on its own merits, but don't be surprised if the fans who liked the previous games are unable to judge it solely. If it had a different name, then it would probably have faired better in reviews as people familiar with previous Thief titles wouldn't be predisposed, conscious or not, of what to expect.

Still, I tend to answer because it starts off actual discussion, which is what I enjoy! And of course it's tame; it's hardly the most pressing issue in the world.<

Bah, Internet forums are excellent at turning the most mundane of topics into issues of life and death and personal pride. :)

Edited by At0mic
  • Like 3

You can try judging it on its own merits, but don't be surprised if the fans who liked the previous games are unable to judge it solely. If it had a different name, then it would probably have faired better in reviews as people familiar with previous Thief titles wouldn't be predisposed, conscious or not, of what to expect.

Pretty much entirely resembles what I'd say. It may be pointless if some people are worked up enough, but it's still easy enough to explain why it's a limiting way to think.

Still, I tend to answer because it starts off actual discussion, which is what I enjoy! And of course it's tame; it's hardly the most pressing issue in the world.

yea, i dunno, of all the "voice of reason" type neutral parties, you seem to wax a little loonier and a bit more inflammatory than most of us 'haters'