The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

Nah, I still don't think even Deadly Shadows reached these kinds of levels of horrible.

A more applicable comparison would be to Dishonored, a game which suffers many of the same issues this new Thief does.

Nacht, are you familiar with the Ultimate Difficulty Mod for Dishonored? Do you think the game is better with it WRT Thief playing style?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Nacht, are you familiar with the Ultimate Difficulty Mod for Dishonored? Do you think the game is better with it WRT Thief playing style?

Never heard of this mod, though it sounds very enticing. I think I'll check it out.

Never heard of this mod, though it sounds very enticing. I think I'll check it out.

Can you get back to me after you checked it out? Now that Thief appears to be such a mess, I need an excuse to start up Dishonored that is collecting dust in my Steam folder for many many months.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Thief 4 is like... Deadly Shadow having a very bad, bad acid trip. :P

Can't say that I agree. Personally I like T4 better than TDS, which doesn't mean that I really like T4 in the context of Thief. :) I guess if I would have never seen T1/T2 I might like T4. Not compleltly, but still could enjoy it on it's own (provided the bugs are removed).

• Like 3

Gerhard

Nobody here likes T4, some can just see where its better qualities are. There's nobody thoroughly supporting it, just the neutral, the jaded, the objectively negative and the inexplicably insular.

Edited by Airship Ballet

T4 better then T:DS? I got into Thief because of DS. I played through 1 & 2 after that and thought they were brilliant, much better than T:DS, but Thief 4 not sure. I will play it, but I don't think I will like it as much as DS.

How long is Thief 4 btw?

........Thief 4 holds the player's hand everywhere..........

That's the name of the game with everything nowadays.

We have developed into a permanant kindergarten class.

Symbols and grunts for words. Fingerpainting (swiping your tablet/pad) is/has replaced the keyboard.

Everything needs to be done for us as we automate and follow our robotic destiny.

Another comment here was referring to just making a forward button that did everything for you - you just sit back and watch endless cutscenes.... but just as you are getting use to that - they will eliminate the forward button.

• Like 1

Well ive just finished chapter 4 and Im upto 15hrs.

Play time differs that greatly with TDM FMs too. Different playstyles and different attitudes towards it, I suppose. I did go for 100% completion and got about what it suggests there but some will pay a lot more attention to the scenery and take their time about things. I tend to just go with the flow and save scum like crazy.

I was exploring some rooftops and there were two roof areas about 4' apart. I sprinted and leaped across and didn't make the 4' jump and fell to my death...master thief.

I'm like, "how could I not make that jump". You can see there's stuff on the other side, etc. Its just that's not where they want you to jump. Thanks Eidos!

• Like 1

...I sprinted and leaped across and didn't make the 4' jump and fell to my death [...] Thanks Eidos!

7hvR1.gif

(I had no trouble jumping between most rooftops that I could realistically manage irl, maybe you just jumped at the wrong time.)

You're right. Its ...its my fault. I take full responsibility for that jump. 4' I mean.. yeah.. that's.... that's 4'....freaking far. I could have stepped across it in real life.

Yeah I find that extremely annoying. I can understand designing limitations into the physicality of structures, but it's just being lazy when they don't even bother with that.

I mean we do that now in TDM and Thief1/2, because if we didn't players would mantle everywhere (which we love to do). I cannot express just how much I LOVE TDM mantling, and games like these just reinforce my positive experiences with TDM.

That being said, I'll take Thief 4 over TDS.

I tried playing TDS at the end of last year, patched it up, all the community fixes etc, but the movement is just to god awful. Climbing crates and ledges only works from certain angles, crouching and moving around the environment you feel like you are twice your actual size. Jumping is.......not broken, but weird, like they really didn't want you to use it. Leaning was okay, but it didn't feel correct.

I do say, I miss lean in Thief 4. Peeking is shit, and only works where it was baked into the level design, which ends up being only about 25% of the time I want to look around corners.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yes, even in the little bit I played it, I found that I frequently wanted to lean places and wasn't able to.

That's the name of the game with everything nowadays.

We have developed into a permanant kindergarten class.

Symbols and grunts for words. Fingerpainting (swiping your tablet/pad) is/has replaced the keyboard.

Everything needs to be done for us as we automate and follow our robotic destiny.

Another comment here was referring to just making a forward button that did everything for you - you just sit back and watch endless cutscenes.... but just as you are getting use to that - they will eliminate the forward button.

Yes, we are being boxed in more and more. They don't want us to think outside their box. And ultimately, not to think at all.

While we still have the ability to think we must think the way they want us to. Follow the program.

But what is the code they are programming us with now? Because the box is made of something that shapes our thoughts. It's not just a box that gets smaller and smaller.

I may ged sadonized for that, but I almost never use leaning.

In regards to the jumping/rope arrow restriction: In current TDM design, so if you make a level, you have to take the abilities of the player into account during creation to avoid that the player reaches a point that he shouldn't. This needs a tremendous amount of time, and still after hours and hours of testing, there are always players who are able to reach positions that they actually shouldn't. :(

So basically I can understand that decision. It's actually the same that every mapper does, just much more obvious. You can also not jump in the Ravenshield games, and I never missed it.

The only thing that I consider a really, really bad mistake is the fact that they did not ship a level editor with the game. This may be an licence issue, I don't know. But this is not only something that is bad for the gamers, it is extremely bad for the devs/pubs. I mean, why is there so much discussion about this game nowadays? It's because the former games are still present in the players minds ... due to the level editiors.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter