The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

@Melan: Yeah. Not the cleverest bit of dialogue to give him. (Along with most of the dialogue given to most of the 'characters' in the game.)

Yeah, basically anything not narrative-driven/related to the main plot hits somewhere from okay to good or even great fun.

who pays 3 gold for an ink bottle, crap loot to pick up and doesn't seem to have any revelence to the location its found in, all those empty drawer's with loot placed exactly in the center and no other junk items found in said drawers. Nothing in the game really makes any sense, like a bunch of locations that don't really tie in to other places.

I wonder if the city maps were done first as that feels polished and finished, by another team, then they sacked them all, and got another team in to tack on the main mission maps, cause they do not go together at all. Plus you can find loads of locations in the main mission maps where you can see through huge gaps between wall and ceiling into the void beyond. Which is something that happens when things get rushed.

Just read over on Darkfate that a mega bug has been discovered in T4 -

On the official forums and the Steam forums there were numerous reports that in Thief-2014 showed a bug that prevented further passage of the game, and perhaps partly spoiling the previous save. We strongly recommend that before you start to make a backup folder sohraneniyami.Stim version saves stores at:Steam / userdata / {user_ID} / 239160/remote

who pays 3 gold for an ink bottle, crap loot to pick up

Evident that they did that so that every house you visit doesn't have to be stinking rich and you can steal wherever you go. I'd imagine they melt down most of it, and ink bottles do cost a few pounds still.

Yeah, basically anything not narrative-driven/related to the main plot hits somewhere from okay to good or even great fun.

There's a servant/master dialogue sequence in one of the side quests (Carnal Connoisseur, iirc) which is well-written, well-voiced and funny. Qualities sadly missing from most of the story missions dialogue.
I wonder if the city maps were done first as that feels polished and finished

+1.

Just read over on Darkfate that a mega bug has been discovered in T4 -

Wow. What a load of shit. The more I play and hear about this game, the more I wish it was never released.

Wow, just when you thought regular bugs were enough, apparently there is built-in code that fucks up your saved games on April 1st.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143668

Does this mean Thief 4 is a self-correcting problem? ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Their save system is so obtuse that it broke in a spectacular way when everybody's clocks moved an hour forwards for DST, not sure why people started assuming that it was intentional and they were sabotaging their own game. It's just a coincidence it happened on my favorite day of the year.

I can accept having bugs in games but is it just me or do the Thief 4 bugs feel like they are due to carelessness?

I feel the issues with nuThief are a side effect of numerous shake ups within the studio. Different versions of the game reusing what came before with new team members having to take over someone else's work.

Damn that's sad, I really hope they have the chance to redeem themselves with Thief 5. Hopefully they get a new team and pick a single direction from the start.

looks like the april's fools day save game looping levels bug is effecting console players as well, the bug goes away if you advance your computer date by a week from whats been said, so who ever coded it must have aimed for the 2 day period that april the 1st covers (world wide its about 2 days long due to international datelines).

If its effecting console players there must be some generic code that both consoles and computers use.

as in eidos montreal coded the console versions and nixxes programmed the pc version.

so it must be in a common code core they both use.

Unless they got an outside company to code certain generic parts of the code and its in that code and they never checked it first before assigning it as the code base.

Their save system is so obtuse that it broke in a spectacular way when everybody's clocks moved an hour forwards for DST

Daylight savings time was weeks ago in North America.

Don't think it is DST after all, but what it's doing is getting confused by the auto save it made then you entered the area and ignores the newer one because it's trying to load a save from Marchteenth the Twentiest. Since it overwrites when you leave, you get stuck in a loop because you continually load the old one. It wasn't until the date changed that it got confused, so it'd be fine for the night and then break the next day according to your PC clock.

Apparently this happened to some people on March 1st as well.

But hey, numbers can be tricky. 03/31/14 .... 01/04/14 ...who can tell the difference?

• Like 1

Note to self: If I ever make a game, play the following April fools joke on the player.

if date ==4/1/xxxx then

print "Sorry, your save file is corrupt. All of your progress has been lost and you must restart the game from the beginning"

(and then a few lines below)

print "just joking! -- your save file is fine"

I remember when games had surprises if you played them on certain dates.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

A few ancient platformers - Prehistorik 2 and maybe Titus the Fox? - had a message popping up after 1995 or 1996, saying something like, "Wow, my game is still working in (YEAR). I coded this on an IBM 286 in 1992".

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

the time in daylight savings went forward. 1:00am became 2:00am, it wouldn't cause a loop to load a old save in would still be in sequence.

It's not the sequence, it just for whatever reason disregards the save you make yourself, considers it unloadable and defaults to the last safe one.

its been patched, so should fix it for this year, they're working on a patch to fix it so it doesn't happen next year.

There explanation makes no sense thou, the way the program stores dates would effect all games based on this unreal engine not just thief. why is it even looking at the date, wouldn't in normally be a version check and sequence check starting at zero and going on till a max number, um they did patch it so it would recognise more than 100 saves in a previous patch. I wonder if someone programmed in a termination date check and the game refused to load games beyond that date.

I found the explanation a bit vague too, and the timing around April 1st definitely makes me consider the "disgruntled coder" hypothesis that is being kicked around elsewhere.

The patch details are here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=142975