The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

Jonathan: To be honest, there are two things that make me understand why they deleted it:

1. These are no questions
  2. There is no way to answer this. What should they say? "Oh yeah, it will be as crappy as TDS"?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Jonathan: To be honest, there are two things that make me understand why they deleted it:

1. These are no questions
  2. There is no way to answer this. What should they say? "Oh yeah, it will be as crappy as TDS"?

Here are the two things I asked.

1. Can you Interact with/KO/Kill story centric characters within the City Hub?

2. How much story depth do these side quests have? Are there any that tie in strongly with the main narrative?

I am seriously baffled as too why my questions were removed.

Edited by Jonathan1247
awesome2_zps088a9ac0.png

2. How much story depth do these side quests have? Are there any that tie in strongly with the main narrative?

Unfortunately questions are limited to 2, but you asked 5 altogether; and that was why your post was deleted.

An explanation was PMd to you via the eidosforums. I gather you haven't logged in since?

This is a shame as you could have submitted the most relevant two questions, provided you did so before the deadline.

More Q&As with the devs to come.... so better luck next time.

I asked questions myself so I hope at least one of them is chosen/answered.

Were will they be answered by the way? I didn't get that.

I thought the things you'd quoted in the post were you said your questions have been deleted were suppossed to be said questions. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Were will they be answered by the way? I didn't get that.

The last dev Q&A session was answered within days of the initial thread inviting questions; so early next week hopefully?

There is no set date to receive answers... but we've never had to wait long.

Just when I was starting to recover a little tiny bit of optimism for this game....

Low points:

EVEN MORE re-use of the footage from the original trailer--how is it even possible that they don't have more to show by now?

Completely bland and colourless palette inside and out.

(and why does that torch-flame look so crappy in a "next gen" engine? Ours look better)

Terribly flat voice acting.

Horrible dialogue, again. "First I stole to survive, then I survived to steal." :rolleyes: "Is it all I know, or all I've ever known?" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Competitive speed-runs??? "Track your time & beat your friends." In a Thief game???

And the clincher, only people who preorder the game will get to play this mission!! :o

Just when I was starting to recover a little tiny bit of optimism for this game....

Low points:

EVEN MORE re-use of the footage from the original trailer--how is it even possible that they don't have more to show by now?

Completely bland and colourless palette inside and out.

(and why does that torch-flame look so crappy in a "next gen" engine? Ours look better)

Terribly flat voice acting.

Horrible dialogue, again. "First I stole to survive, then I survived to steal." :rolleyes: "Is it all I know, or all I've ever known?" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Competitive speed-runs??? "Track your time & beat your friends." In a Thief game???

And the clincher, only people who preorder the game will get to play this mission!! :o

Orson Welles wouldn't have even read those lines....

"First I stole to survive, then I survived to steal."

Ouch.

First I drunk to get drunk, then I was drunk due to my drinking. Maybe this explains it :P

Preordering the game means you actually buy something before you know whether it's worth buying it. I think that's the whole deal. And this tells me something.

If the developers and publishers would be sure that the game is great and will therefore be bought, there would be no need to use preorders. This way they'll sale copies before the fans notice that this game is NOT thief.

I mean, I may be wrong and the game will be good. ;)

I would advise that some mapper makes it's own bank heist mission and than uploads a trailer that goes like:

Download The Dark Mod for free, and you'll get the bank heist mission for free, too. :D

Preordering is like marrying a woman you've never seen before. Don't do it. Wait til it's out.

Exclusive content sucks. That just makes the product very unattractive for anyone who doesn't want to pay full price even before the release. But you can't fault the developer for that. They don't make that decision.

This mission also does look exactly the same as the one already shown. Is it the monotonous lighting or reuse of assets? I can't get excited about this.

Edited by Baal

you think they would have gone against the norm for marble looking statues and reliefs on building fronts and painted them like they would have done in antiquity, all Roman and Greek buildings and statues would have been painted, they only got unpainted during the Victorian era when they went around the world and scrubbed all the paint off. So during medieval times statues may still have been painted. Well figureheads on boats were all painted, plus wooden boats were all painted, so the wooden buildings must have been painted, so the stone buildings were probably painted.

First I stole to survive, then I survived to steal = First I survived by stealing, then I stole to survive.

Horrible dialogue, again. "First I stole to survive, then I survived to steal." :rolleyes:

Not sure if terrible tautology, or just terrible chiasm. Seriously, writers. You're not making a profound point just by using an old-as-writing-itself poetic device badly.

In lieu of the demos/shareware of olden days, maybe this is why Let's Play videos are so popular. People can see genuine gameplay, genuine game-playing, and draw their own reactions from that instead of spending $60 first.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

First I stole to survive, then I survived to steal = First I survived by stealing, then I stole to survive.

So this should mean something like that he first earns his living by stealing at his own choice, and now he is doing it because he don't has a choice?!

This sounds pretty dumb to me.

In lieu of the demos/shareware of olden days, maybe this is why Let's Play videos are so popular. People can see genuine gameplay, genuine game-playing, and draw their own reactions from that instead of spending $60 first.

Yeah, this would be great. Let a well-known let's player play a mission of your game before release, so players get a good impression and get the feeling of seeing real criticism.

All you always keep hearing from the devs/pubs is: "This will be the best episode in this franchise ever. No, the best game ever."

Not very informative. Every game has its pros and cons, that's how life goes. If I can see them beforehand, I can judge about whether the pros outweight the cons for me and if so will be willing to spend 50€ on that game. And I will not be dissapointed by the things that are not so good, because I knew of them before I'd bought it.

So this should mean something like that he first earns his living by stealing at his own choice, and now he is doing it because he don't has a choice?!

It basically means that first he stole because he needed to in order to survive. Now stealing has become his purpose; his reason for surviving.

It's lame prose and a lame message on top of it.

@jaxa: Where is that picture from. He looks like a necromancer on it. :D

It basically means that first he stole because he needed to in order to survive. Now stealing has become his purpose; his reason for surviving.

Than it does not only sound dumb, it is dumb. :|

The devs should read less Tom Clancy.