The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

Another thing I don't understand about that trailer is the claw. The developers have been telling us that the reason Garrett is in such a funk in this game is that Erin died because Garrett took her claw which meant she didn't have it to save herself when she fell. But she does have the claw in that trailer, right? I don't know what else that would be that's near her unless it's some especially nasty version of a blackjack.

I have the feeling that the dubiously named swoop mechanic will be game breaking.

There is no feasible way Garrett can move that fast without make hardly any sound.

Typically, everything in a stealth game has positives and negatives. For example, in the Thief franchise, buying equipment is almost always necessary to complete your next job and (of course) to get more loot. The trade off being, that the more equipment you buy, the more loot you'll inevitably have to steal in order to make a profit, or to have enough money to purchase more equipment for the next mission.

However, the swoop mechanic, not keeping in mind that the mechanic in it of itself is physically improbable, has no consequence to it's use.

Previous Thief games made a huge deal about timing and precision, when you make your movements and how. Say you need to cut across a hallway into a room down the corridor. In the old games, you'd have to keep in mind the lighting, floor surface types, guard routes in and out of the hallway, etc... But in the new Thief, you can swoop through the hall, into the room, even in the face of a guard. It's absurd.

Edited by Nacht7

Perhaps the relationship between Garrett and Erin is more than what we see.. perhaps it is sexual. I mean think about how strange Garrett as a person is.. he must be into some REALLY fucked up fetishes.. perhaps ONLY Erin knew how to satisfy him.. she knows how to get that lock pick at just the right angle when all he wants to do is rip open that chest and steal the loot... if you know what I mean... so he sees her falling or.. in his eyes he sees his only true form of sexual release from the world other than Thieving falling into a pit of nothingness. That also explains why his voice sounds so different.. he has had blue balls for over a fuckin year man! He is in a dark place...

Without her he can't get any form of release.. so he's trapped inside a world of darkness...

• Like 1

For some reason I'm under the impression that "Swoop" isn't focus related. I don't think it burns focus points. It's just something that Garrett can do. I seem to recall something about how they may try to keep people from spamming it and I think it was going to somehow be stamina based. Not sure if that's the official word on it though.

BTW, nice work on all the GIFs you've posted, jtr7. Would you mind if I linked to some of those during my discussions on the Eidos forum? I know you've had some conflict with EM, so if you'd rather I not, that's cool.

Edited by Maijstral

And look where the Claw starts out. Doesn't it look like it was tossed toward the center and she's going after it? And when she falls, it's back on the other side of the metal framing?

That's how it looks to me. The handle of the claw looks like it's in the opposite direction, too. Maybe tremors from the ritual are causing it to skitter around or maybe she accidentally kicked it.

They haven't given me any grief on the EM forum so far, and I've been pretty critical of the new game. I wouldn't expect to catch any flack for posting GIFs regardless of the source. Thanks.

Typically, everything in a stealth game has positives and negatives. For example, in the Thief franchise, buying equipment is almost always necessary to complete your next job and (of course) to get more loot. The trade off being, that the more equipment you buy, the more loot you'll inevitably have to steal in order to make a profit, or to have enough money to purchase more equipment for the next mission.

However, the swoop mechanic, not keeping in mind that the mechanic in it of itself is physically improbable, has no consequence to it's use.

Depends of how you play thief :). If you go with super ghost like gameplay, you will not need to buy the equipment, despite however the original creatures wanted you to so. I can post here a let's ghost of a youtuber if you are interested :), or maybe you already know someone XD.

Perhaps the relationship between Garrett and Erin is more than what we see.. perhaps it is sexual. I mean think about how strange Garrett as a person is.. he must be into some REALLY fucked up fetishes.. perhaps ONLY Erin knew how to satisfy him.. she knows how to get that lock pick at just the right angle when all he wants to do is rip open that chest and steal the loot... if you know what I mean... so he sees her falling or.. in his eyes he sees his only true form of sexual release from the world other than Thieving falling into a pit of nothingness. That also explains why his voice sounds so different.. he has had blue balls for over a fuckin year man! He is in a dark place...

Without her he can't get any form of release.. so he's trapped inside a world of darkness...

I just had to laugh about it I'm so sorry XD, but is a possibility in same time. That reminds me also on Thief series Garrett interest of Basso's sister, it was only physical if my memory isn't mistaking me, correct me if I'm wrong.

Hahaha! Yeah, this Nu G has been pretty fetishistic.

Lool. What's going to be next XD? I bet this new emo ninja goes with bondage and wip, what you say?

And look where the Claw starts out. Doesn't it look like it was tossed toward the center and she's going after it? And when she falls, it's back on the other side of the metal framing?

Does that mean Erin's death was an inside job? Does the notorious 'Garrett' have something to hide? It is well known to natural philosophers that glass cracks in fragments. Yet the dome after Erin's death looks almost like someone "prepared" the site with a diamond glass cutter. Also, in a "regular glass scenario", the Claw would start out at a different place. Was the Claw's position... manipulated?

We want to know the truth about the "Erin accident"! We want to know the truth about 'Garrett'!

Decent, hard-working citizens deserve honest answers to their questions! :ph34r:

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Just to allay any fears.

There are already tons of links/credits on the official forum, just like any other, and they're always welcome.

So long as they adhere to the rules, there is never a problem.

Worry not, nobody gets personally attacked there - the forum only encourages civil debate between taffers.

__

Haha, Melan. I enjoyed reading the speculation.... :D

I think erin got there before garrett, and she had scored the window with the claw, garrett pulled her off saying it was too dangerous, so she went back for the claw and something like the effect of a sonic boom (from the ritual) broke the glass while she was on it. its the only reason I can think of why the claw would already be attached to the window frame.

So did Garrett steal the claw or no? I don't see how he could, given what we've seen in that gif.

Not sure if anyone was following the Stephen Russell thread over on TTLG, but the user Domey had some correspondance with Paul Weir, the original sound designer for Thiaf. Paul sent him a copy of his original sound track for the first trailer, minus voice over. WWhen asked if Stephen Russell was in the original trailer Paul said that it was a difficult question to answer and followed that with, no comment.

So, that somewhat implies that Stephen might have recorded vocals for the trailer. Is it possible he recorded vocals for the game during a stage of development where the game was going in one of the different directions it took over the years?If he is in the original trailer, I want to hear it. Shame on Eidos Montreal.

• Like 3