The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

Yeah, Garrett's views on luck seem ambiguous or at least time dependent. It's possible that at some points in his life he believes in it and at others he doesn't. I can't attach much significance to him using expressions like "lucky" or "with my luck" in normal speech. I tend to talk that way, and I don't believe in luck.

I've never really been sure what to make of the scene with Viktoria at Soulforge. By that, I mean how much of Garrett's feeling toward Viktoria was real? She did some serious work on Garrett in the Maw.

Edited by Maijstral

People also forget that she didn't even let Garrett finish his sentence before she forced the blood/sap oath on him.

Garrett doesn't say "I agree." He says "I agree that..." What would the rest of that sentence have been? "I agree that the Mechanists are a problem, but there's no way in hell I'm working with you, Viktoria"? Well, maybe not something that inflammatory since he was probably trying to figure out how he was going to get out of there alive, but it looked like Viktoria saw her opportunity to bind him and took it.

Edited by Maijstral
  • Like 2

I think Viktoria could be a wood nymph or something very like one. The Trickster is obviously some Pan-like creature. I don't know if you remember the discussion on TTLG about whether thistle-aids might actually be thessalides(a type of water nymph.) The Thief wiki says a thistle-aid is a flesh-eating plant, but in the same cutscene we've been discussing, it looks like Viktoria gestures toward Dyan and Larkspur when she says thistle-aids. Larkspur is male which wouldn't be consistent with a nymph, but should that much consistency really be expected from a game? The Trickster doesn't say thistle-aids are plants in TDP, just that they need to feed.

You're probably right about the long final e pronunciation. I'm sure I understood the word as thistle-aids way back when, and that's likely what it is. I do know that I thought Viktoria was referring to Dyan and Larkspur when she used the term in that cutscene. I may have been mistaken but it made sense to me.

Edited by Maijstral

I've never really been sure what to make of the scene with Viktoria at Soulforge. By that, I mean how much of Garrett's feeling toward Viktoria was real? She did some serious work on Garrett in the Maw.

Garrett was surprised by an "attack of opportunity" from Viktoria, which beguiled him with a Blood Oath enchantment...This enchantment was sealed with their combined blood component, and thus spellbinding Garrett's mind to Viktoria's purpose...The feelings expressed by Garrett during the Soulforge scene, were the result of one being bound by enchantment...as right before the binding enchantment occurred, Garrett was filled with vengeance, seeking to gladly kill her without a second thought.

I thought viktoria was basically the queen of all the nymphs, as she did take counsel from them (the other nymphs) and instruct them what the woodsie lord wanted doing in the dark project and seemed to be in charge of the other nymphs in the metal age.

Viktoria was a servant of The Trickster god, and an agent of the forces of Chaos...Although not a god, she was an extra-planar entity residing within The Maw (Plane of Chaos) - (Proven by her drawing strength from that Plane, as only extra-planar entities are capable of).

Yet, all of this is now irrelevant to the NuThief Universe...Because of EM's foolishness, they have chosen to reject rightful integration and congruity with the true THIEF Universe...leaving fragments of elements, that only constitute superficial relationships.

Edited by Vae
  • Like 1

I remember Garrett saying before somewhere along the lines of "I WORK ALONE" kinda thing.

Hope that Erin doesn't come back half way through THIEF 4 as an enemy and it's supposed to be some kind of surprise.

• Like 1

I'd actually be more keen to THIEF 4 if Erin was the main character that the player assumed the role of, and Garrett was left out. I just can't get passed Stephen Russell not being the voice.

The latest trailer also hinted at some kind of supernatural presence. There's a quick shot at the end of it of some kind of creature that is not human by any means.

If anyone has played PREY, they may remember Tommy having to fight his girlfriend Jen after what the aliens did to her. This was twisted, but the plot device has been used enough that it's predictable. At least to someone who is familiar with story lines. There are only so many of them, and they get recycled quite a bit since even Greek mythology. The Human Head Studio team who did PREY broke off from Raven Software, and some of those minds were responsible for HERETIC / HEXEN, so I was keen to it before I even played it.

Even BIOSHOCK Infinite, I kinda had the ending pinned before the end. I like when the games give the player enough to figure it out before it's revealed, but since I've gotten older it's become harder for me to get that "oh no I can't believe I've been double crossed, used, and now I need to fight against the force I was working with/for" that TDP or SS2 wowed me with when I was in my early teen years.

Edited by Deadlove

Ken Levine writes great story lines, in my opinion, even if I can figure them out twists before they are revealed. Then again, I love it when a game gives the player the ability to figure it out if they take their time and read journals, listen to audio logs, take in the universe of the game, etc. so that it's quite obvious by the time the game reveals it to the player.

He was the guy who authored the main three arc plot line for the original TDP before it got into heavy development. Also, SS2, Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite.

Totally agreed. For me, a game should have a specific way to be played, and specific methods. For example a player wouldn't use the same methods for playing football as in playing basketball and hope to get the same results. Or another example is poker strategies to blackjack strategies...

This I believe goes beyond genres of games as well.

Back in the day, at least for me, even FPS games all had to be played a certain way depending on what game you were playing. Can't play THIEF same way as SS2 or QUAKE and expect same results...

Nowadays, it feels that the majority of games within a certain genre all seem to follow same pattern or playing and it makes the initial playing (not even the replay) that much more dumbed down. Sad but true, I was very anxious for Bioschok Infinite only to find the mindless action "strategy" or playing was akin to Halo (which I REALLY don't care for AT ALL), or that bomb people call DUKE NUKEM FOREVER. If it wasn't for the story, I wouldn't have lasted in that game.

Anyone keen to SS2 to BIO to Infinite will notice the dumbing down of the game to appeal to larger demographics. Again, sad but true.

As much as I love the atmosphere, setting, characters, and entire presentation of the THIEF universe, it would've totally flopped in my book if there was a certain technique to playing it that separated it from the pack. The actually "gaming" part is the most important for me, the rest is icing on the cake. If this wasn't the case, I'd just read a book or watch a movie to get a fix on whatever I was seeking out.

The majority of THIEF for me was spent in crouch mode while walking through shadows, not conventional, but I love how it forced me to move slowly or suffer constant end game.

EDIT: Also, another thing I really love about the first two THIEF titles is that the missions themselves all stand out individually, and each has its own special presence.

Edited by Deadlove
  • Like 1

"rogues"??

Nevermind, video I was looking for had people talking while gameplay.......after searching it out I noticed on closer listen misheard the audio. Guess that'll happen when you're hoping for something more + you're listening to all sound from a tiny one channel box instead of real speakers or headphones.

Original post edited + THIEF 4 hopes dwindled back a bit, again.

:blush::excl: :excl: