The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

And now there are reports of TDS style blue mist portals. WTF?? Could it get any worse?

Apparently not blue mist portals but rather loading zones hidden by an animation of jimmying a window open with a crowbar, or shimmying between some boxes or some such thing. Similar system, but hidden differently than in TDS.

Not according to what was posted on a thread at the eidos forums. Someone who played it specifically said the city hub has blue mist loading portals like tds.

Here's the direct quote:

I honestly don't know where people are getting this stuff from, because loading screens are most definitely there. In fact there are even silly blue mist portals. I am NOT joking. There ARE moments where Garrett opens a window and the next area loads, but there was still a loading screen making it obvious. Hopefully those particular screens will be gone in the final build and it will just continue on in the missions, but in the City Hub, travelling between areas requires going into what can only be described as a blue mist portal and the game loads the next area. It works exactly like Deadly Shadows in that way.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=141110&page=2

Stuff like this..."This is not a problem in itself, but the writing and voice acting are atrocious." :blink: How could they screw everything ELSE up and NOT get this at least in some way right...

I wasn't going to pre-order anyway as I'd like to know prior how the game functions on 3 screens but after all this latest press and Adam Sessler (who I don't like) saying basically that the story sucked has really sealed the deal for me.

This is starting to look like a strictly copy-from-a-bunch-of-other-succesful-games-but-do-it-half-heartedly-cash-grab.

I may buy this in 6 months when its $5 on Steam but I'm not even sure about that now.

Yikes. This is damning. I never held out much hope in the first place, but this latest round of reviews has lowered my expectations even further.

Yeah, that's the editor of Sneaky Bastards. Hindes, along with Tom Francis, was one of the only critics who told it like is with Hitman: Absolution. There's no conspiracy going on here. He definitely knows his stealth/immersive-sims. I think we're just seeing the result of Eidos Montreal never having a clear design in mind when creating Thief. They either ignored or never got a good handle on what made Thief special.

I also don't understand why they put all this effort into full-body awareness only to take the camera out of the Garrett's head to show you your next objective or to cut away to lengthy third-person cutscenes. It's certainly not worth the loss of player agency, especially since they don't commit to being first-person 100% of time (that would've been cool). It just feels hodgepodge.

Edited by Mr. Tibbs

Here's a review that sounds pretty positive:

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3406141

The interactions between Garrett, the anti-hero protagonist of the series, and Erin, his protege/companion/competitor/story macguffin, are awkward and not terribly well written. Because they seem critical in motivating the player, it certainly seemed like my immediate impressions were correct. I didn't like what I was seeing, and I thought the reboot wasn't very good.

Damn was I wrong. Forget the story, forget your expectations -- with the exception of the Tutorial segment, an element I wholly appreciated but didn't completely enjoy -- Thief is looking like an awesome game.

That's the beauty of this new Thief -- you get out what you put in. If you want to Ghost your entire way through, shutting safes after you've looted them and not attacking anyone, you can. You can shoot guards in the brain and leave every door you come across open like an Untalented Mr Ripley if you're so inclined. Guards see open doors and investigate, and they check obvious hiding spots for thieves (especially those who murder their friends) so going all Robin Hood everywhere will make your life exceedingly difficult, but the option is there..

At this point I'd be thrilled if it's as good as TDS, which was never my favourite.

• Like 1

I will probably buy the game because -

1. it is so beautiful to me asd a player and more as a mapper - the mount of inspiration i will get for doing things in TDM will last for years.
  2. I really like the artistic style of the game, see above.
  3. there arent a lot of games out there these days besides Dishonored or Batman that really caputure my imagination.

I will probably buy the game because -

1. it is so beautiful to me asd a player and more as a mapper - the mount of inspiration i will get for doing things in TDM will last for years.
  2. I really like the artistic style of the game, see above

I really like the environments, they look top notch, but i can't stand the leather meets emo/goth character design. It all looks a bit badass nerd, particularly Garrett.

Edited by Mr. Tibbs

So that means this in mission loading sections are back again? No... That was one of the biggest faults in T3... As I told you people - this (console) game will suck.

Originally Posted by Bukary viewpost.gif

"Blue mist portals" in Thief 2014? What were the developers thinking...? kratz.gif

I know. Blue is so 1998. They had a whole spectrum to choose from and they taffed it up royally.

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

A writer from Strategy Informer is answering questions over on the Eidos boards. http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1977200&postcount=72

Someone, a reviewer(?), mentioned it seemed to draw a lot more inspiration from TDS than T1/T2. That's becoming more and more clear, and it's disappointing.

I think it was me! And absolutely. If you didn't like Thief: Deadly Shadows you ain't gonna like this. Period. It's definitely the game in the series it most resembles in many respects.

When it comes to previews I just have to state the obvious that everyone has a different play style. What might work for others might not work for you and vice verse. I understand the concerns of everything however we have not played the game yet and therefore do not know how the game feels and really cannot pass a judgement yet.

I really think people should be just neutral until it is released and try it out for themselves before passing judgement otherwise it can become a bit of a circlejerk and come off really pretentious.

I am definitely a critic about Thief as well I mean certain aspects of the game such as indoor fog, incredibly distracting shroud on the side of the screen and Romano's Garrett attempt really bother me, however I will still purchase this game and give it a try because you never know how something is until you try it for yourself. I have read plenty of reviews that have slammed the shit out of something before and then watched/listened/played it myself and thoroughly enjoyed it.

If this is just another COD clone with stealth elements added then yeah EM obviously made a terrible mistake but no one knows until they play through the game from start to finish. Opinion is very subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The blue fog portals are only in the city hub, not missions.

Of the things that could've been reused from the original trilogy something completely useless is selected.

I would've really hoped for straight missions and no city area. By the end of TDS I was running through the city bypassing guards just to get to the portal to reach the area I needed to get to the next mission for because I was so tired of seeing it.

The only reviews that seem promising are the ones from the reviewers who admit they know nothing about the original series.

• Like 1

The complete freedom of exploration is something I love about Thief + TDM. If you can climb/jump/rope/navigate to an area, then it can be explored. That will be something that I will heavily miss when I get around to giving NuThief a shot.

I'm not too keen on the hands. Nor the constant animations for leaning/grabbing loot/and I'm sure more that I haven't seen yet. I can imagine that getting very boring, very fast after a couple rooms or multiple items in one room.

The blackjack takedown animation completely ruins the suspense of actually sneaking up and blackjacking vs. just getting close enough to hit a button and let the computer do the work for the player.

• Like 2

I understand the concerns of everything however we have not played the game yet and therefore do not know how the game feels and really cannot pass a judgement yet.

I think it's completely valid to pass judgement before you actually play a game (which usually involves having to pay for it), just like you can decide in advance that you're unlikely to enjoy a movie without having to go and watch it. That's what trailers, teasers and reviews are FOR. There's plenty of information available out there, and while enjoyment is subjective, I already know the kinds of things I enjoy, and what I don't.

I am definitely a critic about Thief as well I mean certain aspects of the game such as indoor fog, incredibly distracting shroud on the side of the screen and Romano's Garrett attempt really bother me, however I will still purchase this game and give it a try because you never know how something is until you try it for yourself.

I think most of us here will probably get the game at some point. I know I will. But I won't be paying full price for it and I won't be going in with very high expectations.