The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

I wonder if the game is full of nags to make the player move along to the next section, like alyx in half life 2, contantly nags gordon to hurry up when you stop moving forward through the levels. they are actually called nags in the sound system. nags can be popups telling you where to go next, I suspect the camera view moving away from the player in thief to show destinations is a form of nag system.

With all the options, there should be an option to turn off the automated camera stuff. I'm glad to know there is a standard blackjack, and not just takedown animations, although I'm yet to see it in action.

It seems the shroud is a more transparent and less noticeable. Also the hand animations seem a bit less intrusive. I am keeping in mind that this was set up and played by the company trying to sell the game, so I'll have to wait to play to find out how cumbersome those details are.

I saw one, saw many never did, and that was when I was looking for it in one uninterrrupted viewing, looking at other things most of the time. When the one went off, I couldn't be sure it wasn't coincidence since he was moving over the top of a wall. I'll gladly screenshot/gif it when I get to it later.

That's strange, I thought I saw the lightgem lighting up with every flash. After seeing it the first time I was looking out for it.

On the other hand I am not sure that it has any consequences either. If discovery isn't instant the time it lights up probably is too short.

If my English is bad I am very sorry. It's not my mother tongue.

I saw one, saw many never did, and that was when I was looking for it in one uninterrrupted viewing, looking at other things most of the time. When the one went off, I couldn't be sure it wasn't coincidence since he was moving over the top of a wall. I'll gladly screenshot/gif it when I get to it later.

There are different lightning flashes, as in there are some from different sources (which is natural during a storm).

The ones that light up where Garrett is all light up the light gem.

The ones that don't light up where Garrett is don't light up the light gem.

The light gem therefore resounds to the lightning.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

There are 4 in the first minute alone. 11 in the first 2 minutes. The lightning is in different places in the sky so the light from it can be blocked from certain angles. In the first 2 minutes of the video, only 1 instance did it lighning and not illuminate the gem.

The AI don't appear to have much vertical peripheral vision though (like dishonored) which is a bit of a downer. Sure you're safer above them but not realistically in danger which is what bothers me a bit.

Edited by Lux

"If I had a lady like his upstairs, I would not let the bed get cold."

Man, our voice acting is better than that.... :(

tdm_ai_berny_idle_citywatch02 “Wasting my nights walking the streets for hours…I could be working for some fat nobleman in a warm mansion and make twice as much.”

Yep.. leaps and bounds better. The idle barks in TDM are pretty good actually whereas I found myself cringing at some the Thief ones.. and the delivery is just odd, it feels very unnatural.

These mistakes could be forgiven for an amateur but a AAA studio? that's just.. crazy

Edited by Goldwell

maybe they had restrictions and could only use local people, or maybe it was one of those friend and family things, and they gave the voice acting to some who considers themselves good by the makers, but isn't in all reality any good. Or maybe that motion capture system people had it contracted to use specific frends who were trained in the system but their voice acting was poor.

But didn't the reviewers play this same level?

As far as I could tell they played more than just this level. I believe it was a timed thing, a few hours or something.

"Each chapter I played of Garrett's new journey revolved around stealing a particular closely-guarded object and getting it back to the clocktower. But on the way to each heist, you have the option of stopping off around the city for a bit of off-the-clock thievery to line your own pockets." - PCGamer

Lots of reviewers never thought to check on many things I'm still wanting to know. They nearly all wanted to keep moving through the map to the end goal, as if seeing lots of terrain and terrain/AI puzzles would reveal things about game mechanics and movement than trying out movement, when they could've learned so much in the first couple of gamespaces and saved us a buncha wondering.

I didn't read a lot of them, but those I read/heard actually did talk about quite some useful stuff.

By the way, while lightning's nice, and lighting NuGaret up is nice, it means little but eye-candy since it doesn't affect the light gem or White Shroud. Goodbye vulnerability there. Hopefully the flashing lights outside the Jewelry Store and other places do affect the gem, as I have to think they do, especially with the Morse Code rhythm they have suggesting a timing puzzle (nevermind Swoop-love).

Lightning does seem to affect the light gem.

My FMs: By The Cookbook

"So this is the Lost City...it's not lost no more!!"

I just finished playing this mission again tonight, and wow! After playing TDM for a bit, going back to a TDS level feels very bland visually. And very blocky! However, I had tons of fun playing this mission. From navigating across roofs, sword fighting burricks, avoiding lava (one touch and you're dead!), stealing gems off the wall that don't look frobable until you get the one on the ground, the jumping puzzle to get the last Keeper medallion, roping up to the talisman of Fire, roping across the wooden beams (three ropes and jumping from one to one, the list goes on. Just one mission.

Yeh, I guess that post is a bir off topic, but I hope new Thief has variation like that inside all of its missions. If Deus Ex: HR is a model to expect something from with the studio, then I expect the missions to be quite large.

Think he meant TDP. I don't actually like The Lost City much since there's not much meat to it. Aside from plopping fire elementals with water arrows and easily avoiding a couple of mages, it's a fairly dull mission. Then again I feel that way with most supernatural missions aside from the Cathedral and the Cradle. I can admire the level design and the readables but aside from narrative they have little appeal.

Edited by Airship Ballet

You have nice tshirts to TDM, but I will suggest something else. Instance of using that drawings, why not using TDM logo? It's more direct and people who play it, will recognize immediately. I'm not implying the drawings are bad, because they aren't :). I just think it could be a good approach with your logo :), and if some people never played but saw a friend who does, imagine the potential for new people to try your mod.

Thank you MacD11 for posting the video mission. I saw the guard lighting a torch which I will consider an improvement, yet I found the noble lady not noticing her beautiful glass missing a little strange.

Yes, I meant TDP, but actually TDP Gold. I'm one of those people that wishes they would've left the fire mages out of the Lost City in the Gold version, so it felt more desolate like in the original.

You know, a lot of the stuff in that mission I really enjoyed was more akin to adventure playing, and not solely stealth playing. I love the intelligent exploratory parts. TDP was a mix up of stealth, action, adventure, fantasy and great story. Maybe the amount of styles is one of the main reasons I always found its appeal very long lasting.

Garrett's one liners are the best I think in TDP.

Yeh, I guess that post is a bir off topic, but I hope new Thief has variation like that inside all of its missions. If Deus Ex: HR is a model to expect something from with the studio, then I expect the missions to be quite large.

Given that the New Thief devs kept stating that they really focused on making NuThief all about making the player feel like "The Master Thief" and all about stealing, I have my doubts that we'll see much in terms of that kind of variation.

Yes, I meant TDP, but actually TDP Gold. I'm one of those people that wishes they would've left the fire mages out of the Lost City in the Gold version, so it felt more desolate like in the original.

You know, a lot of the stuff in that mission I really enjoyed was more akin to adventure playing, and not solely stealth playing. I love the intelligent exploratory parts. TDP was a mix up of stealth, action, adventure, fantasy and great story. Maybe the amount of styles is one of the main reasons I always found its appeal very long lasting.

Garrett's one liners are the best I think in TDP.

I wholeheartedly agree, particularly with respect to the exploration levels - Bonehoard is another favorite. Funny thing is, I can remember at the time of Thief 2's release thinking that answering the fans' call for unwavering focus on stealth was a brilliant idea, but in recent years I've found the diversity of mission design in TDP much more engaging . . . and the movies are absolutely spellbinding.

Edited by Morgan Wight