The Dark Mod Forums

Time to say a big thank you :)

chakkman

Nice! Now grab ahold of DR and start mapping! Glory to Bridgeport!

Funnily i've been having an idea for a map some days ago, and thought about getting into map making. The amount of complexity of the editor scares me a bit though... i never used something like it. But maybe i'll give it a shot one day. :)

Just give it a try chk772! I never got past the complexity yet too but I managed to make a mission that is fun in a small amount of time. It's really a nice thing to play with :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Like chk772 I too must express my thanks to the developers and fan mission creators. I am much more excited to be playing TDM than I am looking forward to many of the next gen games that will be coming out in the next year, including the new Thief game. The gameplay is excellent and allows a lot of customizing, the graphics are good enough for me, the ambient sounds really create a great atmosphere, and the music is amazing; I don't know the name of the song, but on the House of Theo level, I just listened to the music for about 5 minutes while looking at the scenery. Again thanks to all those that make The Dark Mod so great!

• Like 2

Funnily i've been having an idea for a map some days ago, and thought about getting into map making. The amount of complexity of the editor scares me a bit though... i never used something like it. But maybe i'll give it a shot one day. :)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Beginner%27s_Guide

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

@Springheel You're welcome, and thank you again. I hope my comment about the graphics wasn't insulting. I really like the graphic style. After playing Deadly Shadows, it's nice to see some ladies with curves too;) A better way to say it would be: even though the graphics aren't state of the art, they are good and the style is great.

Edited by SirGen

even though the graphics aren't state of the art, they are good and the style is great.

To be honest, nowadays games always seem a bit overwhelming to me in the visuals. It's just too much. If you take a look at the new Thief game for example, complete visual overkill. Seems to me like the presentation is the most important thing in modern games, the gameplay is kind of secondary. Really like the dark mod look, it's not exaggerated, there's not an excessive amount of effects, it's simple and works. :)

• Like 1

@chk772 I agree that gameplay is the most important part of a game and The Dark Mod has great gameplay. I am all for incredible graphics as long as the gameplay has been given proper attention. I really like the graphics of The Dark Mod too. I also like the minimal HUD of TDM versus the new Thief. I can't stand seeing icons above an enemy head like the new Thief seems to have. It was really annoying in Metal Gear Sold 4 how action icons would pop up every time you got close to a wall or crate, letting you know that you could interact with it. These things hurt immersion.

Edited by SirGen

• 2 weeks later...

Thief is a more than nostalgic for me. It means a lot and has forever colored my perception of not just videogames, but literature and other art forms. In other words, Thief means a lot to me, more than you would know. The Dark Mod... what is there to say? I was as giddy as a school girl when I found out about this. The new Thief reboot had me feeling bitter, but then I found out about this lovely project. Was it as good as I hoped? It was better. To be able to not only relive past experiences while playing The Dark Mod, but also make new ones that are always better than the last, I thank the team behind The Dark Mod. This is one of the best communities out there, and I am also grateful for that.

Edited by Jonathan1247
  • Like 3
awesome2_zps088a9ac0.png

• 2 weeks later...

Part of a very positive review posted recently on our moddb page:

Now... onto The Dark Mod. What's not to like about it? It sets out to recreate Thief on a modern engine. Does it succeed? A million times yes! It nails the feel that Thief gave me when I younger. It hasn't been since the original Thief games that I've been as challenged as I was in The Dark Mod. I thought Thief was a flawless franchise, but The Dark Mod actually does some things BETTER! For example, the jumping/mantling system has been vastly improved.

• Like 2

The webpage got this email the other day:

Dear The-Dark-Mod-Team,

a few weeks ago, in the wake of the expecations of the new Thief game,

I dusted off my old Thief3 CD. Unfortunally the gameplay left a stale

taste so i stumbled across your mod. A quick ebay-search for Doom3 and

a shipping-period later I finally got the Thief feeling I missed out

on for far too long. Since my expirience with the modder community for

Silent Hunter 3-5, i have a deepseeded respect for people who take

action in order to create the game expirience the market failed to

provide.

• Like 1

Awesome that this mod is finally getting the attention it deserves, and that you guys are working as hard as ever. At this point I'm pretty positive it will be very embarrassing for Eidos when T4 and Crucible of Omens one day get compared and everyone realizes just how much inferior the game made by a professional team of paid developers is to a community mod effort ;)

I can't thank you guys enough for doing everything that you do. Granted I'm kinda new to thief, but this mod group makes you feel like you're part of a select family of sorts. I can't wait to engage myself into hours upon hours of gameplay courtesy of your excellent work