The Dark Mod Forums

Are there giant spiders?

Angst

Don't let the spiders keep from playing TDM, though. They aren't the scariest spiders seen in games. Slow and mostly harmless. Plus, they look pretty much the same as in original thief games, too. So if your arachnophobia allowed you to play original thief games, it should not prevent you from playing TDM.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Here is a list of missions that I don't recall seeing spiders:

A Score to Settle

Awaiting the Storm

Business as Usual *

Closemouthed Shadows

Fiasco at Fauchard Street

Heart of Lone Salvation

House of Theo *

In Remembrance of Him

Knighton Manor

Let Sleeping Thieves Lie

Living Expenses *

Lockdown

Mad's Mountain

Pandora's Box

Patently Dangerous

Old Habits and the rebuild

Siege Shop (for now)

Sneak and Destroy *

Sons of Baltona 1

Special Delivery

Swing *

The Builder's Blocks

The Builder Roads *

The Builders Influence

The Crown of Penitence

The Outpost *

The Parcel *

The Phrase Book

Thief's Den

Thieves *

Too Late *

The ones with stars I am practically positive. Though, to be honest, I have a fuzzy recollection of where spiders are used. I avoid them if possible.

FM authors feel free to correct me :)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Old Habits and the rebuild also don't have any spiders in them.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Pretty sure Heart of Lone Salvation has a spider. A pretty major one that isn't easy to take down, IIRC.

Angst: I'm with you in feeling freaked out by big spiders - any big creepy-crawly in fact; heck, the rust mites in T3 creeped me out - but, fear factor aside, in TDM they are usually pretty easy to either get round or kill if you have a few broadhead arrows (I don't usually have the courage to go at them with a sword). And as commented already, most missions don't use them.

Joooiiiin uusssssss...

I think the spiders enhance the creepy mood of haunts, crypts, cellars, caves, etc. They also add so additional

challenge and are good fodder for arrows because they don't count in no-kill objectives. I'm sorry to say but any mission I listed about that has a cellar, crypt, cave, etc would probably be better with a few spiders (big or otherwise) and I would encourage authors to add them.

Of course, it still would be cool if we had spider or zombie free missions for players who are bothered by them.

Whether any authors would want to edit their missions to make spider-free versions is another topic

altogether.

Though it would be easy enough to remove them in Dark Radiant yourself.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I wish we had tiny spiders too, that crawled around on their webs and you could squash them but you don't because they're just eeking out their existence like you.

Edited by Lux

There are quite small spiders, like used in Bikerdudes *Haunted Cathredal* Mission (don't recall it's name now). You can quite easely make them walk on a web. Shadowhide did this in Deceptive Shadows.

I am afraid of spiders, too. When there are tarantulas or other big disgusting spiders on TV, I always have to look away or I will have bad dreams in my next night's sleep. I actually once almost dislocated a leg, because I was shocked out of sleep and moved in a very unfortunate way. :D I also frequently block orbweaver's avatar for that reason! ^^ However, I don't have any problems with virtual spiders in games. In fact, they even enhance the game for me most of the times, because it just puts me a little more on the edge.

They also add so additional challenge and are good fodder for arrows because they don't count in no-kill objectives.

I think they did count as no-kill objective in the mission "The Alchemist".

I was quite surprised too when i killed the big spider in the cellar, and it was game over...

Edited by chk772

There are quite small spiders, like used in Bikerdudes *Haunted Cathredal* Mission (don't recall it's name now). You can quite easely make them walk on a web. Shadowhide did this in Deceptive Shadows.

Dragon's Claw? Hmm, don't recall seeing any, I'll have to have another glance. I haven't gotten to Deceptive Shadows yet.

Dragon's Claw? Hmm, don't recall seeing any, I'll have to have another glance. I haven't gotten to Deceptive Shadows yet.

I thin it's ST. Albans Cathredal. Not sure, though.