The Dark Mod Forums

Vocal Narration During FM Missions?

Goldwell

Vocal Narration  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like vocal narration during an FM?

• Yes I would like many comments during my play through
    • Yes I would like some witty comments here and there
    • Only during intro/outro videos
    • No none at all
    • Other (please state)

Hey so I have been working away on my FM and I am thinking about adding vocal narration during the mission at points here and there and I was just curious what you guys believe is a good level for such a thing.

Would you like to hear comments about say the first time you enter a mansion or maybe seeing a piece of nice loot or seeing other interesting parts of the maps, maybe even making a comment after you overhear an in game dialogue. I have also considered the option to release a map with the narration in game and without.

So what do you guys think about it?

I would say that if you have objectives that change or when the player does something that gives a new objective, it is actually *critical* that there is some kind of player character comment that points out why the objective changes and what needs now to be done.

Thus there are two kind of player vocal narration:

*Flavour narration: "Since I'm here, I'd better grab something for myself..." "Ooh, nice view..."

*Critical narration: *reads a diary* "Hmm, looks like the Butler has been up to something shady business lately.. Maybe he is the murderer. I'd better check his bedroom for evidence." *receives an objective telling the player to inspect the bedroom.*).

In my opinion, player narration is a great enrichment for any mission and it is unfortunate that TDM missions thus far have not used much of them. However, mapper should not go crazy: too much commenting and constant blathering would probably annoying.

Player character narration is a good spice, use sparingly, but effectively. In some situation it is critical.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I've choosen other in the poll. This has two reasons:

1. Basically it's a good thing, but as Sotha already mentioned it can become annoying when overused. It also depends on what mood the mapper wants to setup.
  2. There are other ways then voices. In Builder Roads I've used the gui_message system for example. simplen00b has written something interesting about it. While he was reading it he *heard his voice in his head*, thus meaning for him it was like he in the role of the player was saying it. So although reading is something more oldschool then hearing, this method can provide a higher identification with the player character. And as it is only text, it can be changed much more easely.

It's basically up to the mapper if and how to use these things. And both methods can increase the immersion of a FM. But mappers shouldn't use it just to use it.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Think its great idea! Can u post some of that?

Well I was planing on posting my gameplay video yesterday but a couple of things came up so I will try to do it today :)

I would say that if you have objectives that change or when the player does something that gives a new objective, it is actually *critical* that there is some kind of player character comment that points out why the objective changes and what needs now to be done.

Thus there are two kind of player vocal narration:

*Flavour narration: "Since I'm here, I'd better grab something for myself..." "Ooh, nice view..."

*Critical narration: *reads a diary* "Hmm, looks like the Butler has been up to something shady business lately.. Maybe he is the murderer. I'd better check his bedroom for evidence." *receives an objective telling the player to inspect the bedroom.*).

In my opinion, player narration is a great enrichment for any mission and it is unfortunate that TDM missions thus far have not used much of them. However, mapper should not go crazy: too much commenting and constant blathering would probably annoying.

Player character narration is a good spice, use sparingly, but effectively. In some situation it is critical.

I agree with your point on using it during more so critical situations and say when an objective is completed. The thing is all about balance too because I don't want the feature to be annoying, more so just aid in story telling and helping immerse you into the world a bit more.

I've choosen other in the poll. This has two reasons:

1. Basically it's a good thing, but as Sotha already mentioned it can become annoying when overused. It also depends on what mood the mapper wants to setup.
  2. There are other ways then voices. In Builder Roads I've used the gui_message system for example. simplen00b has written something interesting about it. While he was reading it he *heard his voice in his head*, thus meaning for him it was like he in the role of the player was saying it. So although reading is something more oldschool then hearing, this method can provide a higher identification with the player character. And as it is only text, it can be changed much more easely.

It's basically up to the mapper if and how to use these things. And both methods can increase the immersion of a FM. But mappers shouldn't use it just to use it.

I have thought about the text only narration as well and thats a very good point about reading it in your own voice and having your own interpretation on it. I think for the feel of my own map I will go moreso with a vocalized narration but yeah I guess it all comes down to balance because too much is annoying and distracting.

It's a worthwhile experiment for all of us to see how it plays out. IMO, go for it!

On sound recording, it's important to dampen reverb & outside sounds.

One easy way to do it, if you don't have eggshell mattress to put around yourself, is to record under a bed spread like it's a little tent. Looks stupid; sounds better.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

One easy way to do it, if you don't have eggshell mattress to put around yourself, is to record under a bed spread like it's a little tent. Looks stupid; sounds better.

Talk about "looks stupid" ... I was responsible for sound barks in a game I worked on 10 years ago, and I took a contract job in Utah and had to live in an apartment for the last few months of game development. Not wanting to upset my (probably Mormon) neighbors while yelling things like, "Arm the weapon!" and "Kill the intruder!", I took to recording the phrases buried deep in my walk-in closet, surrounded by my clothes, hoping that I wasn't going to hear a knock at the front door.

"Excuse me, sir. Do you mind if we have a look around?"

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

HI ALL,

I know it`s late but I just have to chime in on an audible aspect of the experience but first I need some peanut butter on toast.

Sound and audible input is all one needs to be engrossed in an epic stealth marathon.

I was thinking perhaps have some of the AI say Just out of the ordinary (Hay! Do you need to be there)When Searching or (What Tha) When alerted or (Don`t make me, ah)or when the AI is about to give up and return to it`s patrol say (why me) or (bugger this).

Maybe a third kind of narration (I`m to old for this) or (Some ones going to pay) or (Ah better not) or (I`m not here to Please) or you overhear an in game dialogue and say (you wish) or (As If) or ( I don`t think it really matters do you?).

I think it`s a great idea and should be implemented more in game but I also agree with Sotha that to much in game dialogue would distract from the experience but I suppose it depends on the mapper and the mission and story he\she is trying to convey. For instance I love reading a book or note and deciphering the hints within, On the other hand it could be implemented so as to enhance the story telling.

Forgive my blotted input, I hope it helps in some small way.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.