The Dark Mod Forums

A question by a disgruntled gamer [concerning thief 4]

richardpaddington

Hello people.

Regarding thief 4....I was in absolute shock when I saw the gameplay in E3, I went there solely to see T4.

For reasons I do not wish to state again(you probably know about the trash tief 4 is gonna be), will the pious community of the dark mod put any effort in remaking this game shaping it into a worthy successor?

Things like:

Removing the whole focus system all together

XP-system, ridicilous

Removing the artificial zoom, replacing it with the old trusty bow with manual sight, let's put some actual skill in using a bow..

The hands, I rather don't see them when I try to immerse myself into the game, unless im pickpocketing or something..

The foggy garbage around the edges of the screen

The HUGE selection cycle when you try to select an item

Removal of the stupid text when a guard gets suspicious, if he's suspicous I wouldn't need text saying he is SUSPICIOUS.

The wallhack needs to be removed, I don't want to know the position of a guard when I can't see him.

Removal of the slow motion I SHOOT AN ARROW IN YOUR FACE mechanics in which you can take down multiple guards at once

Removal of the takedown button, enough said.

The atmosphere is good, but darkness feels a bit lacking.

Introducing Russel as voice actor would be bonus points, but not mandatory.

Seriously TDM, if you manage to pull this off(primarily by removing that low-IQ crap), I'd pay hard cash just to buy it from you. In fact, I think this could be a serious crowdfunding thing as many others think the same as me. And don't give me that shit that you can ''put it off or on'', the zombification of the consumerist mind really upsets my jimmies.

So what do you think?

I'd pay hard cash just to buy it from you. In fact,

The majority of the asset and resources we use are creative commons licence so dont allow for making a profit, but thats besides the point we work on the mod as a labour of love. Consieering we have only been around a fraction of the time the original 3 games have I think we have come a long way in a very short space of time considering all of the work is done by people in their spare time.

TDM is a thief inspired universe made for thief players by thief players!

will the pious community of the dark mod put any effort in remaking this game shaping it into a worthy successor?

Not quite sure what you're asking. Will we "remake" Thief4? No, just like we didn't remake T1/2/3.

Do we provide something that is more true to the original T1/2 games than T4 will be? Probably, based on what I've seen.

And welcome!

If you mean he was able to match Stephen Russell's voice, I don't agree - because there was someone who did do that for a handful of T2 FMs. Very, very close impression. Although we don't need a Garrett voice, we just need whatever voices mappers want.

For reasons I do not wish to state again(you probably know about the trash tief 4 is gonna be), will the pious community of the dark mod put any effort in remaking this game shaping it into a worthy successor?

That's not what we do here. :) We're here to work on TDM, not do work for Eidos Montreal to make Thief 4 a better game. That's their job. ;)

Perhaps some individuals in the community will take a look at Thief 4, but if their engine and resources are locked down then there will no way to do it.

Based on what TDM has become as a loooooong time lurker, you guys got pretty far in a short amount of (spare) time as far as I can tell. Not because you are money-thirsting corporatists, but because you do your work with genuine love for stealth games.

I think that TDM is capable to remake create a game that is true to the series and with the AAA-polished benefits as seen in games produced by the big players. While I enjoy playing TDM, it is nowhere near as polished as other gamejs(which i find unfair, given the great gameplay).

Even if you are not allowed to make profit, I still think it would be a good idea to let us support the devs by crowdfunding a worthy follow up of what thief 4 should be. You can do this as non-profit and still reap the benefits of being that awesome dev-community that managed to effeciently put the money to good use. Think of the career opportunities! :D

p.s:

As for TylerVocal, the voice betrays his boyish age in comparison to the real deal, but still a job well done. It does sound like he's trying too hard sometimes instead of letting the sarcasm 'flow'.

Edited by richardpaddington

Maybe at some point in the future TDM will closely approximate your vision of what it could be but if you're just sitting on the sidelines you might be waiting a long time. Generally people who contribute to open source projects like this do so because they enjoy it. But it's only fun when they get to choose what to work on and when to work on it. It's a hobby after all.

Maybe at some point in the future TDM will closely approximate your vision of what it could be but if you're just sitting on the sidelines you might be waiting a long time. Generally people who contribute to open source projects like this do so because they enjoy it. But it's only fun when they get to choose what to work on and when to work on it. It's a hobby after all.

Well, a distinction can be made between programmers and simple souls like me who just wish to enjoy the game. I have no idea how to build games, but at the very least I can support the programmers by financial or other means.

Again, lots of people are turning their hopes to TDM for a true succesor of the thief series. So do I.

http://www.ttlg.com/...ad.php?t=141730

Edited by richardpaddington

3 years ago I didn't know my level editor from my particle editor (some people might ask "so what's changed?) Then I read this http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Start_Here! 2 FMs later and one soon to released, here I am.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Well, a distinction can be made between programmers and simple souls like me who just wish to enjoy the game. I have no idea how to build games, but at the very least I can support the programmers by financial or other means.

Fair enough. But the people here are already putting in work and money isn't going to get things done faster unless you bring in freelance artists/coders or prop an existing team member up so they can work on TDM full time. How much of a financial contribution are we talking about here?

I'll start. I am a hobbyist modeler, and texture artist. I've also done a small amount of programming but I'm not very confident in my abilities there. I have not gone to school for any of this. I am completely self taught. I would be willing to quit my job for about $1500 a month but I'd need to receive at least a years worth to feel secure enough to go through with it. Anyone else?

• Like 2

Fair enough. But the people here are already putting in work and money isn't going to get things done faster unless you bring in freelance artists/coders or prop an existing team member up so they can work on TDM full time. How much of a financial contribution are we talking about here?

I'll start. I am a hobbyist modeler, and texture artist. I've also done a small amount of programming but I'm not very confident in my abilities there. I have not gone to school for any of this. I am completely self taught. I would be willing to quit my job for about $1500 a month but I'd need to receive at least a years worth to feel secure enough to go through with it. Anyone else?

Yeah..yeears of $1500..i like that. Count me in, please.

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

Again, lots of people are turning their hopes to TDM for a true succesor of the thief series. So do I.

http://www.ttlg.com/...ad.php?t=141730

Started mapping about 3 or 4 weeks ago (whenever my first post on this forum was) and I`m looking straight up at a huge incline of pain and learning but I still love trying and the guy`s here are always willing to offer advice when hounded Ha.Working on two maps at the moment tweaking my first built following the guide by Fidcal and a second inspired from the first. I think you should at least install and mess with Dark Radiant.All in all I`m from the same boat as you I play all Stealth Games and have played all I could get of the FM`s by Fidcal,Bikerdude and the legends of (TTMA) that's Thief the metal age. In-fact I still get nostalgic and start em up once in a while. It`s good for inspiration.I Would Like To Thank All You Mappers, Coders, and Contributors for educating me in the mathematics of HEX......a BitDon`t Know You But Love you all:) One day I`m going to do this on a blog or MMM maybe not. @richardpaddington Please pay em and Join in the fun.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

You don't have to be a modeller or coder to help out. There are lots of things people can do that don't require any special skills at all.

1. Play missions and post feedback on our forums!

2. Post about The Dark Mod on other sites. Sometimes all it takes is one or two people posting "you gotta try this" for someone on the fence to finally download the game.

3. Join our FB page and point others to it.

4. Find Youtube videos about The Dark Mod and "like" them and/or post positive feedback.