The Dark Mod Forums

Bit o' legal advice, if you please.

lost_soul

I've lived in this apartment for several years now. The nice thing is that I have a great location. However, management is borderline fucking useless. There has been no light whatsoever in the stairwell for going on two years now. The stairwell is ABSOLUTELY BLACK late at night. This has been brought to their attention SEVERAL times, and they have not done jack shit about it.

At first, I figured it was just a burned out light bulb, so I "borrowed" the light bulb and tested it in my apartment. It lit up just fine. This means the problem is with the socket/wiring. I'm pretty pissed because I practically twisted my ancle tonight going down to check my mail, and I can still feel it now. I do have a flashlight, but it is a pain to take it with me every time I go.

Also, I had this misconception that there were regulations regarding building safety, and perhaps the occasional inspection to make sure people were abiding by the rules.

They have also neglected other things in the past, and as a result, I got the police involved. The police were made aware of the lighting situation, but their primary concern was making the manager fix a balcony that was rotting at the time.

How do I proceed with this? If I end up breaking a bone one of these nights, I will try to sue the manager. The manager will be fucked, because the police made written documentation ordering the light to be fixed half a year ago and it has not been. I.e., they can't say they didn't know about this. Also, the other residents are aware of this as well.

• Like 2

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Call the local tv news. See if they'll start up (or already have) a report for situations such as yours. If so, they'll sent a team out to interview the landlord and any willing tenants.

Neglectful landlords don't like being on the local evening news.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Landowners have an obligation to have common area things like lights in working order. It's part of the lease contract (an implied condition even if it isn't written, which it should be), so technically you can sue to compel them to meet their obligations now. I suppose it would be a contract claim. It's the kind of thing we learn about in property law. But I've never seen it done so I don't think I could tell you any more detail than that.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

in the uk you can get it fixed by professionals then send the bill to the landlord, if the landlord fails to pay the bill then, they they will sue the landlord for failure to pay the bill for fixing the light. But it depends whether its in your lease if you can do that.

In Finland, if snow falls down from the roof of a building and hurts someone, it is the housing company's or the building's owners fault.

Leaders of such companies have been sued for involuntary manslaughter when they have neglected their duties and snow has fallen and killed people. After a few cases in the recent very snowy winters, housing companies have recently taken a lot of care warning people about falling snow and clearing the roofs of snow.

I don't know how it is in your country, but maybe you could use this fact to convince the owners? At least they'd better do their homework and check who really is responsible if something happens because of negligence of maintenance. If you twisted your ankle, maybe you could already sue their asses?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I live on the ground floor with two floors above me. When I moved in, the flat on the top floor was empty. The roof just above the veranda was in bad shape and bits of tile kept on falling down every couple of days. I phoned the maintenance company who was in charge of taking care of our building and they kept saying they'd get around to taking care of it. They never did. One winter when we had heavy snowfall a huge chunk of the roof fell down. The guy who lived in the flat just above me had his car parked right outside my flat and the falling debris went smashing through his front window screen. This was at 2am and I was asleep. It scared the living shit out of me! I thought someone was breaking in to my flat and had smashed a window in

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Its funny. When that happened the other night, I started swearing out loud. This was at about midnight. Then the next day I get a call from management saying that they are coming to fix things. They fixed both my windows and replaced my door in the past couple of days, and I can still hear them working outside on other things. I wonder if somebody heard me, reported it, and now they decided to fix things. I have not called them on this stuff in months. It seems too weird that they take action the following day.

They have not fixed the light yet, but the guy said he will look into it while he is here.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.