The Dark Mod Forums

About The Thief Of The Dark Mod

roguetech

I kinda finally realised, now that I have gotten back into fan missions for thief 1/2 and playing the first mission of CoSaS. I would be real kool to play the Dark Mod since the main character doesn't have a name or anything, game creators would have more flexibilty on thier missions as far as storyline (if there is one) would go, Their not tied down to using garrett thus use some other characters people come up with an creativitiy would go through the roof... or at least sneaking on the roof.......er whatever...:ph34r:

I'd Imagine this has already been disscussed but hey, I absolutly CANNOT wait (well I can) for the Dark Mod to be released, cause it would be kick ass for a thief-oriented game for Linux! an it looks so damn good. So yeah.... can't wait to see Judging by te forums new format this game looks more or less like a dream come true! SO thanks Dark Mod team! (oh an yeah I kinda don't like the dagger in thief anymore..kinda promoted killing.. I got used to ghosting, an Oddity was right about that.)

Roguetech

I spend a lot of time here trying to convince everyone what's good for them. THey'll all come round to my way of thinking eventually, and this game will be infamous, which is like being famous, only better.

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I spend a lot of time here trying to convince everyone what's good for them. THey'll all come round to my way of thinking eventually, and this game will be infamous, which is like being famous, only better.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Stalin :P

If you don't want to do your own code additions, then not. The idea of the mod is to provide a fulyz functional seperate code base so that you can create AND play FM missions based on the TDM universe. You don't even need to download the SDK, because when we open the source, the code is so intermingled with the SDK codebase that we can not seperate it, even though I would prefer this for various reasons. Since the SDK provides not API but the actual classes that are used for Doom 3 gameplay, there is no way how this can cleanly be seperated without a lot of overhead (and not even then).

Gerhard

If you want to play with the SDK then by all means do so, but there's no guarantee that any changes you make will be compatible with the altered version of the source that we'll eventually release.

We're trying not to remove any existing features, but we may significantly change how some features work, and of course add lots of new features.

I would recommend that you see what can be done with scripting before changing the source.

Well that woulda saved me some money....B) (heh download doom3) an by the way that clarifies everything! so thanks Domarius!

also i do think it is possible not quite sure though...using gentoo linux...you might be able to download doom3 to play using the command emerge, although this could easily be the binary for linux conversion... i would like to test it out but meh.... I need to wait for another harddrive cause i don't wanna screw around with this one.... so yeah DON'T take my word for it I am assuming due to the portage tree... (could well be a BAD assumption and most likely....) anyway later!

roguetech

Using the Linux version for Doom 3 doesn't save you from still buying the original game, because you need the pk4 files which makes the majority of the game. The linux distribution file only consists of the core binaries, but you have to copy over the files from the original Windows distribution.

Kind of sad, because if you only want the Linux version, it would still count as a sale towards Windows.

Gerhard

Well Like I said I wasn't sure but it appears in the portage tree of Gentoo.. I on the other hand currently use Suse 9.2....Although I would like to convert over to gentoo just don't have the time...

True It does suck as counting towards a windows game sale... At least I can Play it though happily on my desktop! :D Hopefully the sales problem will be corrected in the near future..doubtful about being near... just have to wait and see!

roguetech

That it appears in the portage tree doesn't say much about the legality. What you can install in the portage tree is only the official binary, as I explained above, but you don't get the full data from this. You still have to install the PK4 files yourself, because they are NOT included in theportage tree. I should know because I also use gentoo. :)

There are other packages as well, where you can install a binary release of a game but you have to provide the extra files from your windows copy.

Gerhard

Ahh that makes sense! I was never sure on how emerge worked with doom3 as far as installing goes... I think today for me is 'Everything is starting to make sense day!'..heh maybe tomorrow will be 'Everything finally makes sense day!'....B)....ok that was lame but whatever... Anytway thanks sparhawk for the info!

roguetech