The Dark Mod Forums

TDM and Windows 8

Sotha

Hi!

WinXP will be hitting end-of-life next summer and I need to update my gaming OS before that time. I started considering my options just recently. There are two because linux gaming is not good enough yet: Windows 7 and Windows 8. Windows 8 has few years longer longer end-of-life time (meaning longer time interval until I have to pay m$ again) and the word in the 'net is that Win8 slightly more streamlined in terms of performance. I do not much care about the OS operation interface, since windows is only a gaming console for me.

The big and most important question is: do TDM and DR run flawlessly on win 8? Anyone running them right now? Will other software (steam, blender, gimp, etc) run on win8 without problems?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• the word in the 'net is that Win8 slightly more streamlined in terms of performance.
  • I do not much care about the OS operation interface, since windows is only a gaming console for me.
  • The big and most important question is: do TDM and DR run flawlessly on win 8?
  • Will other software (steam, blender, gimp, etc) run on win8 without problems?

• Yes, and also boots faster, superior SSD support - think of it as windows 7 SP2 with a tweaked gui.
  • well you will care about the lack of start menu, but fear not just download and install "classic shell" and this not only puts the SM back but you can choose to have the old WinXP classic menu also.
  • yes, Ive been using win8 since TDM 1.07 and DR 1.7.0
  • yes, been using steam, gimp etc.

And on a side note I am helping Snoble make his "sneaky upgrade" patch for T3 work correctly under Win8, which reminds me I have to test that when I get home this evening.

In terms of general use, we didn't enjoy windows 8 very much.

Probably because of the lack of start menu, see above.

Probably because of the lack of start menu, see above.

Nope, we knew all about that stuff, there were other reasons. The OS really didn't play nicely with the hardware on her new laptop. Lockups and shut downs. Tried new drivers and all the stuff you would usually do under those circumstances but the behavior persisted. I wiped the computer clean, installed windows 7 and it hasn't had so much as a hiccup since. It also runs just as fast as Win 8 did on it.

Unecessary, Windows 8.1 will be a free update to Windows 8 users. It will include the Start Menu and will boot to the Desktop and not the Charms bar.

I tested several games under Windows 8, they ALL ran SLOWER vs Windows 7 on same hardware/software. This was on my desktop which has an intel i7 930 OC'ed to 3.8Ghz, Radeon 7950 OC'ed to 1156/1500, 6GB DDR3 ram.

The ONLY thing that Windows 8 had over 7 is that the GUI is smooooooooth and very responsive. Feels more like Max OSX than a windows product.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Unecessary, Windows 8.1 will be a free update to Windows 8 users. It will include the Start Menu and will boot to the Desktop and not the Charms bar.

The 'start menu' if you can call it that is a pointless gesture. Your still better off installing "Classic Shell" and the author has just done an update to make it 8.1 compatible.

You're right, looking through the blogs looks like the Start Menu that 8.1 adds will just be a shortcut to the charms menu that everyone hates.

Okay get the Classic Shell, does exactly what everyone wants.

Thanks Biker :)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey hey. I've been on Win8 for a week now.

It is actually not that bad. Actually it is rather good. Of course, first thing after installing firefox was to install classic shell and re-associating all the programs so that that hideous fullscreen start menu was effectively removed. I played a little with it and got this strong feeling of "what the hell where they thinking?" Any rational person can immediately see that it is just plain idiotic to believe someone on a desktop computer will favour some full-screen-single-app-per-screen-all-other-space-on-screen-is-wasted programs. *Shivers*

After getting rid of that, I am happy. This is actually quite a nice version of windows. It is ultra-fast to boot. Games work nicely. Everything seems slick. Nothing to complain about... yet. To be honest, I am a bit scared, because I have not been compelled to install linux yet. When I installed, I partitioned a nice space for it and decided to install it only once I get that nasty windows-anxiety. There the partition sits. Empty. All alone.

I wonder, will it be so that Win8 fixes something in me that Vista broke? A windows operating system that doesn't make my skin crawl. Who would have thought?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• Of course, first thing after installing firefox was to install classic shell and re-associating all the programs so that that hideous fullscreen start menu was effectively removed.
  • A windows operating system that doesn't make my skin crawl. Who would have thought?

• good man
  • Ahem, I wouldn't go that far, MS still arent to be trusted. They are still as devious and untrustworthy as they have ever been.

• 2 weeks later...

Win 8 is pretty the same as Win7 and can't get tdm 2 get going on win 7 ( from svn). Tdm 1.8 runs great though. As for choosin id bet on win 8 with free 8.1 update with tiles off

Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?