The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Penny Dreadful by Melan (2013/07/28)

Melan

Sotha: awkward analogies ahoy! :blink:

Sooooo, did the mission crash inexplicably? ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That is a beautiful poster! Really captures a mood. Love it. Congratulations on yet another release, what a very pleasant surprise indeed.

Can't wait to dig in to this bad boy. Its 5 AM here and dark as a whore hole in here... headphones engaged!

Edited by Lux

Yippie \o/. Can't wait to play.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Very good mission which succeeds, in my opinion, at appearing larger than it actually is. I was impressed by the fact that all three different areas/environments clearly received equal love, each standing on its own very well. I enjoyed the architecture and texture placement very much as well as the loot -- glad to see a mission which isn't a loot fest for once, I came short of a few gold but found most of it, including some nicely rewarding secrets.

I think the mission also succeeds at appearing more difficult than it actually is, there are lots of shadows but because of the layout and enemy placement, it is tense and fun.

Congratulations (and thanks!) for a great mission Melan :)

Mission page created and file mirror'd :-)

:laugh:

Ooops!

On to the mission, wow... Penny Dreadful says it all!

Great architecture and the areas feel complete. The machinery and steam piping and all that really makes that area feel right, great sound and AI pathing in these areas, difficult but not too difficult. Only thing I found confusing here was on my way out. I was looking for a way out because I forgot about the other door above the stairs (that I now had a key for) and the one key I had at this point didn't fit that sewer pipe door in the water filled area. So I read that note on the wall by the power area that said something with regard to, "do not expose to class A/B explosives" and I'd found that mine in the crate so I had put it on the ground and was luring the undead to walk on it and finally got it to explode but it didn't do anything to the power machinery :\ which was a little disappointing. Not because it didn't do anything but because I thought that would create my way out.

In any case I searched around again and remembered the door I couldn't open before and, yeah, figured it out from there.

The crypt areas were AWESOME!! Best mood/sound/texture/decal combinations I've seen yet to establish that dread mood feeling. It really felt foreboding, eerie, and creepy. Absolutely loved it.

I agree with Briareos, much larger map than initial impressions. Very enjoyable, another classic!

Thanks, Melan, for yet another mission benchmark! Can't wait for further missions in this series.

Roger Calibristan, interviewing fans at Comic-Con, elicited this reaction during one notable interview: "Every time Melan releases a mission, I end up going back and tweaking my own WIP. So much to learn, and so little time."

Congrats! DL'ing now.

Got his error :( (TDM 2.0 last SVN build)

Can't make love to Melan's map :D

Edited by Springheel

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I have a problem - well several actually

First download link - Mega gives this result - using Firefox

post-8491-0-92137800-1375026652_thumb.jpg

Second download link - Fidcal gives this result

post-8491-0-04614200-1375026812_thumb.jpg

Third download link worked but trying it in V2 and I get a frame rate of 5 - 6 fps at the start then tried in 1.8 and got a frame rate of 6 - 9 fps

Forget frame rate problems - it is my system as I just tried Flakebridge Monastery and also got horrible frame rates - now to find out why

Update - one of the Kaspersky processes was using 97% CPU and I don't know why - a reboot fixed it

Edited by Oldjim

Phantastic mission!

I really enjoyed the setup, the puzzles and the architecture, as well as the uncertainty whether you will ever make it out again.

The notes about the machines were very confusing, though....

It seems I was not the only one who was seeking a way to blow them up, either to put out the lights or get some of the doors opened that way... or something else.

Emotional walkthrough. :rolleyes:

I found the entry to the Power Station pretty early, but my heart was faint.

No keys? No rope arrows? How to get back? I must have missed something.

Oh well, after a while I made it down anyway, since anything else seemed pointless.

But what to do there? Do I need to blow up the machines or what?

So many locked doors and no idea what to do. Descend down even further, again with no way back?

Man, this is not good!!! Sigh... I am lost already anyway I fear, so it doesn't matter anymore. I might as well enjoy the company of those few human corpses and wait for the end.

Pretty nice tombs... and a nice throne room as well. Eh...what? Why the hell would there be a throne room?

Ah, I see... some majesty had fun watching people being thrown down into the pit. Yeah, everone has some hobbies, I guess.

And then it all clears up, hope is rising... and I am free again!

Not sure if I found an

easteregg

or what... at any rate I got a fire-arrow... at some fairly unusual place.

The only question I would have :

pretty much at the beginning of the crypts,

there is a large heavy gate. You can see a switch on the other side.

How to get to there?

Well, the architecture is beautiful, but I must suck at this game, because I can't find my way off the streets.

We had this issue in b-testing for some users....

The hint is in note from Grimey and the locked door to the powerstation, then think crate stacking

Well this level lived up to the hype for me! The level layout was great. The use of ambient noise was spot on. The difficulty wasn't too easy or too hard.

It was fun to have to use some parkour skills early in the level, in order to get inside the facility. I skimmed over some posts about blowing up something to get out of the crypt, but I just climbed out the way I came and used a rope arrow to climb up the first big drop into the crypts. Using boxes to reach the ladder was a nice puzzle/obstacle too.

I don't think that I've played any other levels by Melan yet, but I definitely look forward to them.

Undead/crypt levels are really starting to grow on me.

Thanks for the great level Melan!

Edited by SirGen

Two problems for me:

1 - I see no clue in the note.

2 - I don't know which building is the power station.

So I just looked around until I found something low enough to climb on, and stacked the crates to get to it, then found a way to get to a higher place, which let me into what turned out to be the power station.

Now I'm wandering around inside.

Thanks for the help.

Two problems for me:

1 - I see no clue in the note.

2 - I don't know which building is the power station.

So I just looked around until I found something low enough to climb on, and stacked the crates to get to it, then found a way to get to a higher place, which let me into what turned out to be the power station.

Now I'm wandering around inside.

Thanks for the help.

Watching that first guard from the start, going between the well lit buildings? That was the first hint. This clearly isn't a good way to go. The way through the lit guard patrol path in the beginning is to just jump and mantle the low roof outcrop by the player start. Then climb on the pipe and then up to the ledge. Then you can go above the guard, like three stories up, through that area and the ledge ends right at the balcony with the unlocked door. Then in to the power station.

My only issue was, once I found the hatch that went down in to the power station I wasn't sure if I missed other things outside so I went back up and out on to the balcony and jumped down to check for other stuff... there wasn't anything down on the street level that I missed, so instead of stacking crates I just reloaded my quicksave from the balcony.

I've managed to Perfect Thief the mission (getting all the loot while ghosting). The mission doesn't have a lot of loot indeed, but finding everything is not as easy as it looks. :P

Grayman:

The stool in the little shack at the very beginning is enough to mantle on the wooden roof and then on the pipe.