The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Penny Dreadful by Melan (2013/07/28)

Melan

I've got the objectives but can't find my way out. I

see there is a metal door with a ring on it that leads presumable to the power station but I presume it opens either with a key or handle on the other side. As I came in by way of the chute with a coil of rope at the bottom above the two stone figures ( one of which is holding a candle in his hand) maybe I've no way now of getting out. Perhaps I should have entered through said metal door.I have a key I found close to a body , is there another hidden door somewhere?

Thanks!

Edited by raymeld

Presumably that's Grimey's key that Biker mentioned earlier.See my post above.

Thanks Oldjim. I've really been around the houses with this one now looking , can you give me a clue to the whereabouts of it? Thanks.

Melan, your missions are joy to play, as always .)

Visually beautiful, no lags on my old laptop.

Story-wise it was nothing heavy - it wasn´t that much story itself that got you hooked, rather the way story was told - just a few scarce readables in the whole mission + the environment itself told the story, so you had to pierce it together.

Lack of lock-picks and rope arrows right from the beginning got me thinking: will I find some later? As it turned out, there were no lock-picks in this game, just keys but you will later find rope arrows (I didnt´t even knew those were rope ones, I thought those are just plain broadhead, until I accidentally pressed my rope-arrow hotkey) and from that moment on, I knew there are places where you can use them.

I found one special; after you came out from catacombs, you´ll end up on street. There is a lonely beam above shack you came from, and if you will rope arrow there, you can go where no mapper has gone before (on the edge of the map) - I liked the fact player can move freely, that you didn´t gave there some invisible wall. Or you just didn´t anticipated that :)

'>http://i.imgur.com/e9DXak3.jpg]

After I thought mission is done I realized I cannot go back the same way I came, so I had to find other way out. Luckily, it wasn´t that hard and this is one of the few missions, where I didn´t need spoilers from forums, I was able to find way by myself - rare feeling :)

And when I was on surface, I remembered about those rope arrows and started using them :) I liked that there were places right at the start of the mission, where you couldn´t previously go, and now you could :)

Well done short, enjoyable mission.

Must be me then , can never find the obvious , put it down to age! Will noclip through the door in desperation!!

Got the way out at last , what a plonker to miss that.

Was too involved in getting the main objective there plus watching the pesky skeleton!

Thanks Melan for a fun mission , although zombies and skeletons give me the creeps!

Have you found the

very very very dark passage with a pully machine in it

yet..?

I thought that was nbohr's job.. ;-P, but if both of you are doing that then I will make a point of telling you both when I update the missions page :-)

Was more of a joke than a rant lol. I don't like waiting to get screenshots so Nob can put them on Moddb.

This was a great mission as usual.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

A truly fantastic little mission - it's got the right amount of readables and environmental story telling to convey the plot. Although undead have kinda gotten to be a stale trope in a lot of fan missions, they're implemented here pretty sensibly.

Finally, it looks beautiful - one person summed it up well that you make excellent use of space, making the map appear bigger than it actually is. Vertically oriented maps are some of my favorites.

Oh, and I should point out a potential work-around for escaping the pump station without having to go through the sewers. Not sure if it was intended;

Before I went down the ladder in Grimy's apartment, I threw down a bunch of boxes and packages from the attic. They can be stacked and used to jump back onto the ladder (if a zombie doesn't knock them all over, that is,) creating a much more convenient escape route. I decided against actually using it though, lol, but I figured I'd point it out.

Looking forward to more Penny Dreadfuls in the future! I'm guessing the Grail of Regrets will live up to its name some time in the future...

Edited by Ryan101

Thanks for your comments! Also: if it works, it's legit!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

A truly fantastic little mission - it's got the right amount of readables and environmental story telling to convey the plot. Although undead have kinda gotten to be a stale trope in a lot of fan missions, they're implemented here pretty sensibly.

Finally, it looks beautiful - one person summed it up well that you make excellent use of space, making the map appear bigger than it actually is. Vertically oriented maps are some of my favorites.

Oh, and I should point out a potential work-around for escaping the pump station without having to go through the sewers. Not sure if it was intended;

Before I went down the ladder in Grimy's apartment, I threw down a bunch of boxes and packages from the attic. They can be stacked and used to jump back onto the ladder (if a zombie doesn't knock them all over, that is,) creating a much more convenient escape route. I decided against actually using it though, lol, but I figured I'd point it out.

Looking forward to more Penny Dreadfuls in the future! I'm guessing the Grail of Regrets will live up to its name some time in the future...

My thoughts exactly! Well done Melan! :D Headed back in for a replay at a harder difficulty.

I got back out the same way I came in, lots of crate stacking.

• 2 weeks later...

This mission is great!! It's filled with those iconic moments that makes you giggle and bounce on the chair like

stacking crates and realize that's exactly what you're meant to do, finding perfect hiding spots that allows for a clear planning of movements

It's why I played thief, it's why I play TDM :)

still not done. not likely to be done. I've got stuck looking for exit objective, not once, but TWICE. Climb up one part to get stuck in another. running around in circles with notarget on, still not seeing the way out of the power station, and i don't care anymore. ending mission. not returning. I got my 700 loot and i want out. Escape-quit is much more satisfying than the given ending.

everything about this mission is GREAT until you are ready to fucking leave, which is incidentally when you are 10% done with the mission apparently.

Maybe i'm just impatient and should have played call of duty today.

Lovely mission, but I also spent ages floundering around trying to get out after finding the

first key

. To those in the same position (and, yes, the answer is embarrassingly obvious), here's how to find the

second key:

Having found the first key, up the stairs, through the door, up the stairs around the edge of the room, across the water, through the vent, through the next door -- into one of the upstairs rooms with a zombie.

At this point I got stuck for a bit until realising:

across this room through the opposite (locked) door, and the second key is in the next room.

I guess getting out is about half the mission?

• 3 weeks later...

Something very strange about the automatic update for this mission. If, in game, I go to "Downloadable Missions", this mission always appears as "Penny Dreadful: The Grail of Regrets" and doesn't go away even after a successful download. It appears in my list of installed games as "PD 1: The Grail of Regrets". It looks like the second title comes from the file penny__9_/darkmod.txt.

In my missions directory, "Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Doom 3/darkmod/fms", there is directory named penny__9_, but searching missions.tdminfo for "penny" throws up three entries, one named "penny" (with no content), one named "penny__9_" (the one I've played), and one named "penny " with "downloaded_version" set to "1". Interestingly, while the failed(?) update was downloading it there was a file named, I think, _penny .pk4 in the fms directory.

I'm running TDM 1.08 under Wine. Has anyone else encountered this strange issue?

Edited by Araneidae

I encountered such a behaviour myself. Some missions don't dissapear from the downloadable missions window even after they were downloaded.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I had reported that issue already.

But obviously it didn't get fixed yet.

The reason is simple why the mission shows up all the time for download:

The mission-entry on the server does not stick to the standards pointed out by Tels.

By the way: did you notice that after downloading PennyDreadful all your mission-stats have gone missing (checkmark for 'previous completion' of a mission)?

And out of a sudden updates for other missions seem to be availlable?

That's a side-effect of that issue. While TDM is trying to handle that inconsistent mission-entry, it will corrupt the fms\missions.tdminfo file and loose all version info.

Hopefully that issue is fixed in 2.0 already, due to the bug mentioned in above link, that I had opened earlier this year.

Edited by gnartsch

By the way: did you notice that after downloading PennyDreadful all your mission-stats have gone missing (checkmark for 'previous completion' of a mission)?

And out of a sudden updates for other missions seem to be availlable?

Oh crap. And that explains what happened the last time I tried to download this. Grrr!

Eeeep. Didn't know that could happen. :blink: My sincere apologies, but I don't even know the cause.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved