The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Not An Ordinary Guest by Fieldmedic (2013/08/01)

DeTeEff

32 members have voted

1. 1. Unusual Gameplay Theme

2. 2. Gameplay Quality

3. 3. Aesthetics (Visuals, Story, Audio)

See this section in the FAQ

Because Doom 3 is a 32-bit game, it can only utilize a certain amount of RAM. When Doom 3 needs more memory, but cannot allocate anymore, it crashes with an error saying something like

Shutdown event system

--------------------------------------

malloc failure for 3145781

If you run into malloc failures, it is suggested to try the following:

1) Edit your darkmod.cfg and use the following:

seta image_downSizeBump "1"

seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"

These will reduce the bumpmap size. Memory impact will be few hundred megabytes lower, at the expensee of very minor blurring of texture quality.

2) If the above does not help you it is recommended you try

seta image_downSize "1"

seta com_videoRam "512" (or however much video RAM you have).

These will reduce all texture sizes. Memory impact will be much lower, but the graphics are visually pixelated, depending on the com_videoRam number. But at least the mission will be more likely run with systems with low RAM.

A possible solution is to patch Doom3.exe with a 4GB Patcher to allow the game to allocate more memory, but the TheDarkMod.exe should already be using large memory space.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Playing on v2 and I am seeing some low frame rates.

In the first courtyard area it drops to 14/15fps which is acceptable given the amount of information but then in the hotel corridor it dropped down to 4/5fps for no apparent reason and looking into the dining area it dropped to 8fps

Playing on Win 7 64 bit with 4GB ram and a MSI GEFORCE GTX 650TI OC 1GB graphics card playing at 1680 x 1050

A question -

why did the guest in room 11 have the key to room 10 instead of his own

EDIT Restarted at save game in hotel and frame rates are much better - memory used is fine but CPU is running at 100% so it may have been a CPU limitation

Edited by Oldjim

Completed as Assassin - very impressed

Now to try the other options as I suspect the Assassin is the easiest one as there is only one real objective - I may be wrong

As stated in the previous post the limiting factor on my system is the CPU which is to be expected given the relatively low graphics load of Doom 3 / TDM

Re the keys - definitely not a game breaker

as I picked up all the keys from reception

Edited by Oldjim

So since it certainly is confusing, all guests are supposed to be carrying the key to their own room. Anything else is sloppiness by the author. One guest was apparently carrying a key to another room than his own, but since it's not that important it will be added to the small bugfixes and released at a later stage.

I also noticed an misalignment with one of the guests in room 5 and her key. It may float around.

Edited by Fieldmedic

Wow, ihis is pretty much an oversize mission!

Completed on Assassin... and there are so many areas.

I am curious if the other levels will reveal what they are intended for.

If that is so, it's an error...Thanks. Will fix in an update but it's not a gamebreaking thing...

Maybe you could also fix the white MoneyBox in the Bath's offices, too ?

I lockpicked it on Assassin, but it won't open. Therefor I am missing the loot inside.

Wow, ihis is pretty much an oversize mission!

Completed on Assassin... and there are so many areas.

I am curious if the other levels will reveal what they are intended for.

Maybe you could also fix the white MoneyBox in the Bath's offices, too ?

I lockpicked it on Assassin, but it won't open. Therefor I am missing the loot inside.

Yes, it's quite big :)

Oh crap...will add that to the fix list... But it should be no problem to reach the loot required :) But gamebreaking for those who go for a perfect run...

Edited by Fieldmedic

I just noticed the floating key and I also couldn't open the white box

Currently ploughing through the second mission - I don't know if it would be possible in Assassin but I found a much better way of getting in due to the different start point

Really liking this :D

Oh crap...will add that to the fix list... But it should be no problem to reach the loot required :) But gamebreaking for those who go for a perfect run...

It seems like the

two purses are too big

A well placed fire-arrow allowed me to open it just a bit so I could see what is inside.

However, frobbing it like mad did not allow to open it just yet.

Another shot ... and my greed was fully satisfied. :ph34r:

It seems like the

two purses are too big

A well placed fire-arrow allowed me to open it just a bit so I could see what is inside.

However, frobbing it like mad did not allow to open it just yet.

Another shot ... and my greed was fully satisfied. :ph34r:

Haha! That's the way of a unsneaky thief :)

Yes, the two purses caused the problem. The loot is changed in v 1.01

Haha! That's the way of a unsneaky thief :)

No, that's the way of the desperate griedy perfect thief.

Can't get it ? Blow it up ! :D

And since that didn't even raise my Stealth Score, it is prefectly 'legitimate', so to speak. :P

Edited by gnartsch

You can open stuff with a fire arrow?!

Well, not really. Not in the sense as that you can use a fire-arrow instead of using a key/lockpick.

But there are certain cases where objects are blocking an unlocked container to open.

A fire-arrow can eventually help by pushing the objects around with brute force.

The objects inside may even 'tunnel' through the closed lid. Weird physics.

I would like to know what Stephen Hawking would have to say on that matter. Something like ''Extremely unlikely, yet possible'' ?

Edited by gnartsch

Oh, one more thing you might consider to change:

opposite to room #1 there is a switch right beside a statue.

I pushed it to turn off the light. The guard came and pushed it on again, but got stuck.

Even one and a half hour later he was still stuck there. In the meantime I was free to roam the groundfloor as I pleased.

See this section in the FAQ

Because Doom 3 is a 32-bit game, it can only utilize a certain amount of RAM. When Doom 3 needs more memory, but cannot allocate anymore, it crashes with an error saying something like

Shutdown event system

--------------------------------------

malloc failure for 3145781

If you run into malloc failures, it is suggested to try the following:

1) Edit your darkmod.cfg and use the following:

seta image_downSizeBump "1"

seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"

These will reduce the bumpmap size. Memory impact will be few hundred megabytes lower, at the expensee of very minor blurring of texture quality.

2) If the above does not help you it is recommended you try

seta image_downSize "1"

seta com_videoRam "512" (or however much video RAM you have).

These will reduce all texture sizes. Memory impact will be much lower, but the graphics are visually pixelated, depending on the com_videoRam number. But at least the mission will be more likely run with systems with low RAM.

A possible solution is to patch Doom3.exe with a 4GB Patcher to allow the game to allocate more memory, but the TheDarkMod.exe should already be using large memory space.

How do I edit the darkmod.cfg file???

I thought I would be clever and stop the maid switching on the light after I switched it off by blocking her way to it - failed miserably - as she couldn't switch it back on she just circled at the door and I couldn't get through

Picture showing it

I took the shelf unit from the dumb waiter and put it in front of the switch

post-8491-0-41024600-1375519548_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oldjim

Haha, at first I thought it was a bug report, but as you put yourself in that position, it's self inflicted :)

But there's plenty of ways and passages around the hotel, so I would be impressed if someone locked himself in completely.

Here is a funny one:

This is what I found in Room #3 on THIEF. She is fine, just sleeping. I assure you.

No idea what happened, but for sure I had no chance to alert her. (Stealth Score: 4)

Oh, and despite of that fact that you can see my blackjack: I didn't hurt anybody. It's just a nasty habit to have it ready - just in case. ;)

TheDarkMod%202013-08-03%2011-23-45-65.jpg

Loot: Finished Thief with 3925/5655.

Also: I am short by 2 items, the ones in the white money box (200), since I didn't find the fire-arrows this time.

Anyway, I wonder: where is the rest ???

Overall I found the required loot way too low (~25% !). I mean: this is THIEF, not Sabotage or Assassin!

I had finished Assassin with 4235/5655 with 0 outstanding missing loot items. So, there was a gap as well.

Edited by gnartsch