The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Not An Ordinary Guest by Fieldmedic (2013/08/01)

DeTeEff

32 members have voted

1. 1. Unusual Gameplay Theme

2. 2. Gameplay Quality

3. 3. Aesthetics (Visuals, Story, Audio)

Ok, since some questions have arised regarding the saboteur objectives here are some explanations, step by step:

How to pollute the fresh water?

Mild spoiler

There's a room in the cellar with a pump of some sort that was used to pump the human waste out from the sanitary system and out the sewer pipe. That pump is out of order since a long time and now there is only a wooden ledge where the shit can slide down on, and down the drain.

More explanation

There is a bucket with human waste in that room.

Even more explanation

In the machine room with all the pipes, the room beside the boiler room, there is a large cylindrical tank with a hatch on top. That is the fresh water tank.

This is how you do it!

Carry the bucket with feces and dump it in the fresh water tank.

How to make the owner sad? What a about the lobby?

Mild spoiler

The target is that two-ball-chandalier above the stairs.

More explanation

Read Randhofs diary in his office

But where's that?

The office is located in the cellar, at the far east side. There is a door right out on the street nearby.

Need more clarifications?

What does the diary tells you about the acid?

???

The protective sleeve on the chain that holds the chandalier in place is damaged at floor level. The acid is good for burning through metal.

So what? Where shall I go?

If you go in the main entrance, there is a flight of stairs, directly to the left, in front of the booth. Go up the stairs and then up the ladder to the attic.

Yeah...Now what?

Drop the acid to your hands and use the acid on the chain.

Better turn the power of first...

Now what about this framing objective?

Read Randhofs diary in his office

But where's that?

The office is located in the cellar, at the far east side. There is a door right out on the street nearby.

Okey, and now what?

As you can see, he's ben thinking about stealing from the hotel. This triggers the new objective. Don't forget to take the key to the vault.

Yeah, but how do I complete the objective?

The hotel has a vault with lots of money, and Randhof is trusted with the key.

Okay, but where is that?

The vault is located in the office, besides the lobby.

Cannot enter...

The switch is on the side of the book case.

More problems?

The glas box is has a pickable lock

Okay, and now what?

Randhof mentions where he lives, in the diary.

Yeah, but I don't get it...

Go through the kitchen and out the loading bay at the west side of the facility. Right across the street is a tenement. There lives Randhof.

I'm new to this...

The money bags are dumpable. Just drop them anywhere in his appartment.

I'm not going to give this an in-depth review, suffice to say I think it was a very enjoyable mission. I love the objectives and inherent replayability, and it's huge!

My only complaint concerns

Randhof's Diary. For too long I was stuck on Saboteur, not finding any information related to the chandelier and framing objectives because I hadn't found the diary, even though I had been through Randhof's office several times. This is because there are several books there, and the easiest one to take is only a regular prop so there is no incentive to check the other books. Without help, I would never have found that diary.

A couple of points about the contamination objective playing under v2

you have to be crouching to see the bucket hi-light

A more significant problem - it was reported earlier that the bucket had buzzing flies being full of shit - there were no buzzing flies in that room despite the shit all around but then after dumping the shit into the water there were loads of them at the hatch. This was why it took me so long to find the bucket

I liked the way you had to drop the bucket from a height upside down for the shit to fall out - I don't know how you managed it but it was a great touch of realism

Having said all that this was a really enjoyable series of missions and I will definitely be playing them all through again

Edited by Oldjim

as I picked up all the keys from reception

How did you get in there? Mission ends as soon as she sees me. Also need help:

I've been wandering since yesterday (while scoping the place out) trying to find my objective, Any hints? I've been bottom to top and from looking at the maps it seems I've been everywhere.

Thanks.

regarding keys in reception

when you steal the guest book - needed for the objective in the assassin mission - then the receptionist starts to wander about outside the reception desk and I could then jump over the counter and pick up the keys

Which mission and objective are you struggling with as you don't need those keys to complete any of them. I only picked them up to save the bother of lock picking - being lazy I suppose

Edited by Oldjim

regarding keys in reception

when you steal the guest book - needed for the objective in the assassin mission - then the receptionist starts to wander about outside the reception desk and I could then jump over the counter and pick up the keys

Which mission and objective are you struggling with as you don't need those keys to complete any of them. I only picked them up to save the bother of lock picking - being lazy I suppose

I am doing the assassin mission - any hints on where the guest book is that you mentioned? I was looking at those keys in reception also as I was finding the lock picking was becoming tedious.

Congrats on the release Fieldmedic! Wow! This is a massive mission! I just finished playing as the assassin so need to go and try the other two. Thanks for all your hard work. Forgot to mention

this guard was stuck here on the corner for most of the time I was playing post-3777-0-16443000-1375837060_thumb.jpg

Just went back in to search for more loot and problem was cleared up.

Edited by Thiefette

A really nice FM - the three playthroughs are all fairly solid, although I'd argue that the assassin kinda gets the short shrift and is done far too quickly. It's a little too straightforward, especially if you get into character and don't bother to loot the place overly much.

The thief and sabotuer missions give you a slightly better impression of the map - especially the sabotuer, which is very intricate and involving. My favorite playthrough by far. I love all the small details in this map, including the tiny call backs to previous FMs. The architecture isn't particularly striking but it looks very servicable for what the map wants to convey. Nice work!

Thanks, it is exactly what I feel

Yes, I've always been thinking that the assassin is very straight forward but as I couldn't find any reason for him to roam about the hotel I let him be that way. As a "compensation" I made the saboteur more intricate. In future missions I will try to add more to the normal difficulty (or the first guy ;) )

Wow ! Thanks Fieldmedic.Experiencing a bit of lag rather like i did on the first version of Siege Shop , no doubt due to my computer's specs and the vastness of the mission. But I'll do a bit of tinkering.Just tried it out briefly in assassin mode before making a real foray.

@ Fieldmedic

Excellent mission mate:)

The master Key should be named Entrance Key or Front door Key or something other than Master key. It's a little misleading.

It took me about 5 minutes to work out what to do with the bucket of crap. and also took me a little less time to work out where to put the acid.There was also the lock box in the bath office that although could be picked did nothing, Does something need to be used on it? There must be some fiendishly hidden loot in your mission I could only find a fraction of the total. Also there were some small z fighting bits around the bottom of the balcony supports inside the rooms (not a game changer though).

All in all I give it a 4 out of 5.

Well done :D

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Have spent quite a while wondering round those gorgeous sewers before surfacing.So many ways above and below to reach the objective before you even start the mission proper.What a tremendous amount of work has gone into this mission , so much to enjoy , thanks again Fieldmedic. Thinks , can sewers really be regarded as gorgeous?

Great mission though there are still some problems.

Carry the bucket with feces and dump it in the fresh water tank.

It took several times to turn the bucket in the right position.

The money bags are dumpable. Just drop them anywhere in his appartment.

I dropped the three money bags on the bed and on the table but nothing happens.