The Dark Mod Forums

Sotha's Animations

Sotha

Haha guys I don't think Sotha is going to do like a oculus rift 10 000 polygon 4K resolution texture HD penis with pump action triggers.. I think he is talking about like pretty much a finger which probably wouldn't be seen anyway. I mean yeah maybe its so small it doesn't even fit through the guys hands *poor taffer*

But I honestly don't think its a big deal and besides The Dark Mod isn't aimed at an audience that can't handle seeing a cock without flipping out (this isn't America here). And if someone is going to try and shoot them in the cock then so be it, it's like people who would watch their Sims shower nude or freaked out over the GTA Hot Coffee debacle.

If we were to start drawing the line on gritty things then damn when I shoot a guard in the face and he dies and his fallen down on his black with blood all over his face and an arrow sticking out of his eye that should be more offensive than a little sausage finger :P

Oh dear, why does presenting something simple and natural make people so.. I dunno.. on-their-toes and maybe a little childish.

I didn't have a particularily strong effect in mind, something similar to this.

I don't recall anyone discussing the huge problematic ramifications of the Hitman 2 urination system. Note, that Amnesia dead bodies were physically realistic and there wasn't an uproar.

http://images4.wikia...gno1lo1_500.png

I'm not gonna implement an armature and physics animations for it, just a small static model, which can be barely seen, unless the player is hiding in the shadow just in front of the AI, in which case it can actually add up to the experience.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Oh dear, why does presenting something simple and natural make people so.. I dunno.. on-their-toes and maybe a little childish.

It is a cultural thing I think. Nudity is not a big deal in Europe, and even less in Nordic countries where for example bathing naked together is a very natural occurance. But on the other side of the ocean, cultural tolerance for nudity has developed differently.

For me personally, in this case I see it just as a function vs. aesthetic kind of thing. You can't see even a peek of the nipples of a female model, her breasts are glued to her rather generous top. Same thing with peeking upskirt. The modellers could have added all that detail, and by golly it would have been more immersive and realistic, but would it be necessary for the purposes of a stealth game? Not exactly.

Doesn't really matter to me either way, I'm just glad you are looking into it Sotha!

Edited by kyyrma

because sadly we live in a world where you can have shows like Breaking Bad where people get dissolved in barrels of acid and buried in the desert, and you can see many scenes of people being horrifically killed yet if they say the word "fuck" it gets muted or bleeped out.

If you want to make it just do it, as I said before it's not a big deal. Hell I might even use the animation myself for the starting area of my map!

• Like 1

Running out of time for tonight, but made great progress:

UnUj8Ur.jpg

bBS2hXo.jpg

1) new particle and new model.

2) def_attachment system to left hand

3) model appearance and particle stream easily controllable with frame commands

anim urinate				   models/md5/chars/guards/proguard/animation_urinate.md5anim
{
  prevent_idle_override
frame 1  call overrideLegs
frame 15  attach atdm:penis penis hand_l
frame 45	 destroy penis
frame 45  attach atdm:penis_urinating penis_urinating hand_l
frame 75	 destroy penis_urinating
frame 75  attach atdm:penis penis hand_l  
frame 100	 destroy penis
}

(I do admit it that some of the frame commands sound very intimidating.)

4) All that mapper needs to do is to get the AI execute the anim somehow (conversation system, or path_anim)

Limitations:

*The particle is limited to AI feet ground level. If the mapper wants the AI to urinate down from some battlements or something, they need to modify the urine particles.

*Yes, the urine glows, but not too much.

*No separate animation for alert AI. I recommend putting urinating patrol nodes behind idle_only. Anim would look problematic with a sword in hand.

Work to be done:

smoothen out the animation. Presently there are only a few key frames, but the poses look fine.

EDIT: if someone would provide me a sound effect for this, it would be great. A natural normal urination length with a average duration.

Clipper

EDIT: if someone would provide me a sound effect for this, it would be great. A natural normal urination length with a average duration.

Hm.. I was thinking considering it is piss hitting the pavement it would sound something like this http://freesound.org/people/cmusounddesign/sounds/72028/ maybe even a sound a little less intense. I will keep searching

Great work!

Try this sound if you are going for a more softer, stream of piss hitting the soft ground sort of effect:

http://freesound.org.../sounds/119927/

Comes with CC0 license, so we are free to use it for whatever.

Edit: Here is an edited version I made of that one. I tried to make it less sharp and more soft in sound, and also converted it to .ogg.

Edited by kyyrma

I'm not against it at all so don't get the wrong idea. I'm sure there are more conservative peeps that will come along, I'm just looking out for "what's needed" and "what's not really needed". Keeps our noses clean.

In any case people back in these times were stinkin ass dirty... dirty dirty dirty. The model needs to be of a dirty dick.

You dirty dirty dick. Dirt that dick up!

PS: I also think its funny that the new Thief game shows a guy pissing so we're all, "lets make a guy pissing animation". Not my style personally, following but whatever's clever I suppose.

Edited by Lux

That Hitman animation is hilarious! It looks like a snake when he's shaking it off.

I don't have strong feelings either way about having a visible penis in hand. I DO look forward to the day when the thug kills me, says, "Now I'm gonna piss on ya," and actually whips it out and DOES it. :)

I also think its funny that the new Thief game shows a guy pissing so we're all, "lets make a guy pissing animation".

I started working on an animation like that ages ago. Just didn't get very far (the "getting it out" animation was the tricky part)

Particles don't have to be transparent. you can use material that is affected by light.

Good to know. Can you please tell me how I make the urine particles to be affected by the light? They use the the same texture as the rain particles.

In any case people back in these times were stinkin ass dirty... dirty dirty dirty. The model needs to be of a dirty dick.

You dirty dirty dick. Dirt that dick up!

I was never interested in that level of detail, I'm afraid.

PS: I also think its funny that the new Thief game shows a guy pissing so we're all, "lets make a guy pissing animation". Not my style personally, following but whatever's clever I suppose.

I've felt the need for this anim for quite a while, actually. It is only now I have learned the skills necessary to make this happen. (Animation, frame commands, prop item utilization.) T4 has nothing to do with this.

Clipper

Can you please tell me how I make the urine particles to be affected by the light? They use the the same texture as the rain particles.

If you check in the particle editor, rain particles use this shader: textures/particles/drop2. It's in tdm_particles_legacy.mtr file:

textures/particles/drop2
{
PARTICLE_MACRO
qer_editorimage	textures/particles/drop2
{
	blend		add
	map			textures/particles/drop2
	vertexcolor
}
}

You can create your own definition and custom texture. Something like:

textures/particles/urine
{
noselfshadow

qer_editorimage textures/particles/urine
{
blend diffusemap
alphatest 0.5
map   	 textures/particles/urine
}
specularmap _white
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 _white
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 textures/particles/urine
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}

// TDM Ambient Method Related
{							
	if (global5 == 1)		
	blend add				
	map				textures/particles/urine		
	scale			1, 1		
	red				global2	
	green			global3	
	blue			global4	
}							
{							
	if (global5 == 2)		
	blend add				
	program	ambientEnvironment.vfp	
	vertexParm		0		1, 1, 1, 1		// UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump	
	vertexParm		1		1, 1, 1, 1	// (X,Y) UV Scale for specular		
	vertexParm		2		global2, global3, global4, 1	

fragmentMap		0		cubeMap env/gen1				
	fragmentMap		1		_flat			// Bump				
	fragmentMap		2		textures/particles/urine			// Diffuse			
	fragmentMap		3		_white			// Specular			
}
}

Here's the texture: http://www.speedysha...XhTQT/urine.dds place it in dds\textures\particles to match the material definition. Don't forget to replace shader in the particle's file. By default it may be a bit too thick. Also keep in mind that when not lit it will be black. Specular is pure white color.

It's only a model...

I followed your instructions and I see the particle now in the DR particle editor.

However, ingame the urine is totally black. Not black boxes, but black spheres. In well lit conditions. Maybe something is wrong in the material definition?

Can you help further, what could be the cause?

Clipper

If you see circles it means that texture works because it means that alpha channel can be read. I copied in DR the tdm_rain_light particle. I named new particle tdm_urine and saved as new file tdm_urine.prt in "particles" folder. I changed shader field to textures/particles/urine.

/*
Generated by DarkRadiant's Particle Editor.
*/
particle tdm_urine {
{
	count				 200
	material			 textures/particles/urine
	time				 1.000
	cycles				 0.000
	timeOffset			 0.000
	bunching			 1.000
	distribution		 rect 50.000 50.000 32.000
	direction			 cone 0.000
	orientation		 aimed 1.000 0.050
	speed				 "-300.000" to "300.000"
	size				 "0.500"
	aspect				 "1.000"
	rotation			 "0.000"
	randomDistribution	 1
	boundsExpansion	 0.000
	fadeIn				 1.000
	fadeOut			 1.000
	fadeIndex			 1.000
	color				 0.040 0.040 0.050 1.000
	fadeColor			 0.040 0.040 0.050 1.000
	offset				 0.000 0.000 -20.000
	gravity			 world 500.000
}
}

Here's how it looks in game. When lit by yellow light:

post-2001-0-05750900-1385225090_thumb.jpg

Here's lit by blue ambient light:

post-2001-0-31386900-1385225116_thumb.jpg

It's only a model...

This is so weird. I'm using now the exact same setup as you.

In the image below, there is a func_emitter that emits the particle urine. Simultaneously the boys with the urinating anim are emitting the same particle.

QT1a6p8.jpg

Looks like the material works differently with func_emitter and func_smoke. Correct color for func_emitted, but wrong from func_smoked. Any ideas?

I must use func_smoke because func_emitters attached to AI are borky. (particles run at 100x speed winking on-and-off.)

Clipper

Here is the animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYjaQDWyvI0&feature=youtu.be

Constructive feedback is welcome, preferrably in the form of "video time, comment, fix suggestion."

General complains about "unnatural animation" aren't very helpful, so try to be specific and give concrete improvement suggestions. Aaand don't expect this to be AAA-game title mocap quality.

The builder comment made me laugh, but that's probably because of the fatigue.

• Like 2

Clipper

I think it looks pretty good! Is there any way to have the start and end frames a little closer to the default idle pose? That would reduce the snapping effect. The particle effect and sounds are great.

One thing that bugged me a bit was the knee bending at the end (around 0:16)...I tried miming the action myself and I didn't feel like I wanted to bend my knees at all at that point. Not a big deal though. I'd use it as is.

Thanks! I'll have a look at the knee and the pose-thing later.

Also, now that I think about it...

What should happen to the urinating if the AI is KOd or killed while they are doing it? In the present setup, the AI falls down, still urinating and visibly wetting themselves if they fall on their backs.

Also if the AI is alerted, they act just like normal and snap out of the animation and start attacking or searching with their thing out in the open. To my knowledge, there is no way to remove a framecommand -attached entities on AI alert.

In all the cases, the KO, death and the alert, the AI 'equipment' and the particles are automatically removed after ~10 seconds or so, via a tdm_suicide script.

Clipper

, there is no way to remove a framecommand -attached entities on AI alert.

Yes there is...you can detach things on specific alert levels (see the ai lantern for an example). I think if you combine that with the spawnarg that destroys things when they're detached you'd get the right effect?

Not sure about the particle effect.

I can't stop laughing at the builder doing a prayer as he is peeing haha oh my god!

But on a serious note that looks pretty damn good Sotha, I agree with Springheel in that the knee bending could do without and also it seemed like the audio stream stopped before the animation did but I guess you already know about that and will tweak it.

I don't know if you care enough or if its possible (I assume it is though) but at the end of the stream where it comes into contact with the ground maybe have like little splashes happening, nothing to intense but just a subtle little effect would look pretty cool. As at the moment it looks like the pee is just going through the world.

Other than that yeah good job!

• Like 1