The Dark Mod Forums

Beta-testers wanted for Lords & Legacy

Kvorning

I've already had a few friends test my map, and done a lot of work since then, both on the design and the game-play. Waiting to hear back from 2 more on the current version, and I figured that now would be a good time to ask if a few experienced Dark Mod players would like to give a hand.

The version that is right now is as close as it gets to the final version and the only thing I am reluctant to adding, is a simplistic cinematic.

A couple of key notes:

-A few areas are very performance consuming, so a strong CPU/RAM is handy in 2 areas in specific.

-'The garden' Has LOD levels configured, so if your frames are getting unbearable you can adjust LOD in options with good results.

-To control performance consumption I have unfortunately had to use auto-close doors, in some parts of the map. I prefer not to use it, but it was necessary to ensure play-ability. Same goes for distance controlled vis-portals in some windows.

-Some windows don't have vis-portals directly on top of them, for the sake of visual effect. This has some places a side-effect on the way sound travels, but nothing major.

If you're interested in helping me polish this map, then I would greatly appreciate it, and hopefully give everyone else a nice map to play as soon as possible. I'll make sure to sort the interested out in private messages, but feel free to write here. :)

P.S. Obviously don't post spoilers. ;)

Edited by Kvorning
  • Like 3

I can help. I'm rocking 16 GB of RAM, so all is good here. However, TDM is a 32-bit process. As such, it is restricted to 2.5 GB of memory allocation. Even on a 64-bit OS, if a 32-bit process tries to allocate more than that, it crashes. This used to happen to me with Blender.

• Like 1

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Congrats on this, can't wait for the release. I'm already in a beta and don't want to spoiler another mission for me. But I wish you good luck with your little pearl. :smile:

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I've read about the 4GB patch before, but I must say I've always assumed it was a memory issue, as I'm on 64bit OS. It was late when I posted last night, so I didn't even consider it more likely is a matter of CPU.

In either case, if you feel frameloss in the mission it is not because your computer is slow, it is because the map in a couple of areas are very consuming to say the least.

@nbohr1more

Unless you guys find something major that me and the other guys have overlooked, the mission is still as close to done as it gets. I've waited this long so I don't put any of you through a half done mission, so the testers still get to have fun. I'll add you to the list, and hope you get to enjoy it. :)

@Obsttorte

Same goes for you mate, but don't worry about it if you're already testing, as I don't wanna divide anyone's attention. Besides, you're already credited in the mission ;)

@Lost_soul and Jaxa

Noted and added :)

Edited by Kvorning

Well as far as I'm concerned if you are genuinely interested in testing, then you have a good tool-set for finding the bugs I need found, while you get to have some fun. Having tested before is always a plus. :)

Added!

I have 5 of you gentlemen now, but I'm gonna wait a day more or two before I PM you links for the map, in case there's a few more who really wanna have a go as well.

Edited by Kvorning

You're of course more than welcome Bikerdude, as it's people like you who I expect will find the things I've overlooked and find gameplay flaws and terrible ideas ;).

MacD11, you can help as well so I can hear a newer player's perspective on what you struggle with the most. Some things are supposed to be very challenging, but definitely not impossible.

Both added:)

Wasn't there a patch floating around that allowed TDM to suck up 4.0 GB of RAM? And what does 2.00 do with RAM? I'll do a search.

Edit: http://forums.thedar...post__p__280313

I thought this might be relevent.

snapback.pngBikerdude, on 13 March 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

You just apply the patch directly to the doom3.exe file.

This applies to thedarkmod.exe file as well, but I think I read somewhere that the boys have patched this in the file already so this patch may not be required for TDM 2.0...?

Edited by Lux

Don't wanna nitpick, but is there actually a specific reason why the betatester forum is not public, or is this more out of tradition?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Alright I've got access to the section now, gonna try and get everything sorted.

Let me know if anyone still need access. I haven't done this before, so I may be clogging the system a bit:P

Edited by Kvorning